Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Common theme in TV shows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:29 pm 

Is it me or do 99% of TV shows use a single common story line at some stage? After a season or two a parent of a main character shows up, usually he's the father. He was a bad father and left when the character was very young. He treated the mother badly and is probably an alcoholic. Now there's an uncomfortable reconciliation. This is where things vary. 50% of the time they make up and the father becomes (an annoying) part of the show though 50% of the time he turns out to be unchangeable and lets the main character down yet again and disappears until the writers run out of ideas again.
I say this now because I am watching one of my all time favourite shows Chuck and my thoughts are "Here we go again".
BTW I only just started watching this excellent show so I am several years behind. No spoilers please!

Post subject: Re: Common theme in TV shows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:33 pm 

you're probably right, Tony. I guess Breaking Bad might vary slightly from that theme :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 pm 

oh besides that one, there's also this thing that's really popular in new cop tv shows. A serial killer or something of that sort kills the main character's family, and the main character devotes the rest of the series to finding the serial killer, usually by joining with the police force or becoming some sort of detective.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 pm 

uniacto wrote:
oh besides that one, there's also this thing that's really popular in new cop tv shows. A serial killer or something of that sort kills the main character's family, and the main character devotes the rest of the series to finding the serial killer, usually by joining with the police force or becoming some sort of detective.

If you want a different type of cop show watch Dexter. Very unusual and original.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm 

Chuck started out pretty good for me as well, and I quite enjoyed it. Then as the seasons progressed it dissolved into a giant Subway commercial with the occasional technological equivalent of waving a magic wand with a few predictable plot twists and unsuspenseful suspenseful moments. The ending was...actually I forget, but if I recall correctly it was fitting. It was really great at the beginning though :) [/off-topic]

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.