Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2 near-death experiences in 2 days
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm 

Yesterday: NDE1

I started a new job in January and yesterday I was supposed to attend an induction course in Zurich. As I was entering the office I took a puff on my inhaler, but unfortunately a coin had fallen into the device in my pocket, and I ended up inhaling the coin! I could still breathe, but felt that the coin was wobbling when I inhaled and was worried it would flip round and block my airways. I tried to cough out the coin but nothing came out, so I tried to control my breathing and calmly asked the receptionist to call an ambulance. At first she was unsure, but I calmly explained that I had inhaled a coin and I could easily die, so she called an ambulance and I was taken to Zurich hospital. There they took x-rays and confirmed that a coin had lodged edge-ways in my right bronchi, just after the fork in my trachea. So after waiting around a bit, they put me under general anaesthetic and a team of 6 medical staff worked to remove the coin with a bronchoscope equipped with camera and some little grabbing device at the end. Fortunately it went well and when I woke up they explained that I had been extremely lucky, for if the coin was a little bigger (or my tubes a little narrower) it would have lodged flat and blocked my trachea, while if it was a little smaller (or my tubes a little wider) the coin would have flipped round and blocked my bronchi. I managed to get back to work just before my induction training ended.

Today: NDE2

Today I was invited to a team dinner in Basel, to meet the rest of the Swiss team. My new boss was there and had also offered to drive me back to Geneva as he had a meeting there the next day. We were going at top speed on the motorway (120kph/70mph) to arrive in Geneva not too late. Unfortunately the guy in the next lane must have been distracted, or fell asleep at the wheel or something, because his car suddenly veered right across into our lane right in front of our car. My boss swerved instantly and instinctively to avoid a collision, but lost control of the car, and we swerved back and span around twice before slamming into the central divide. Fortunately the traffic was otherwise light, no other cars were involved, and nobody was hurt, but the car was completely wrecked and we had to wait for hours for the police to come, take statements and clear everything up. Finally we managed to check into a hotel in Berne, and I am about to fall asleep thinking how wonderful is life, and how I must remember to enjoy it more.

Last edited by KelvinS on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2 near-death experiences in 24 hours
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:57 pm 

You are a very lucky man. Or is it unlucky? :lol:
I've only had one near-death experience when I was a toddler. I was staying at my grandparent's house and was in their swimming pool. Well, they decided to leave me unattended, and me not knowing any better, I swam to the deep end of the pool. Normally this wouldn't be an issue as I float in water... :|
For some reason I choose to swim to the bottom, but unfortunately (me being a terrible swimmer) in doing so I flipped backwards and ended up in a flailing position under there for minutes. Luckily I did come to the surface in time but I felt really light-headed afterwards. And my grandparents felt indifferent about what happened... :?
Yea, a pretty lame way to nearly die :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 pm 

I don't think I've had a near death experience yet. The closest I've gotten is hitting a wall while running full speed a few months ago. But then again, I've saved my own life several times in cars, but nothing as scary as yours, Kelvin. You are seriously lucky!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 am 

Wow!!! Glad to still have you with us Kelvin. My advice... walk VERY softly tomorrow.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:20 am 

One time I got stung by a bee twice in one week, once on the foot and once on the back of the neck. I am allergic to bees and almost died the people at the hospital injected steroids directly into my nerves(?) because they said using a vein would take too long, so it was a pretty serious reaction.

It's a much less intense story but we can't all be exciting right?

Post subject: Re: 2 near-death experiences in 2 days
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:10 am 

Check out the x-rays:

Attachment:
Doc 03 Feb 2014 1217 pm.pdf [328.65 KiB]
Downloaded 80 times
Attachment:
Doc 03 Feb 2014 1218 pm.pdf [420.75 KiB]
Downloaded 38 times

I didn't take pictures of the car accident, as I thought it might piss my boss off... but just imagine a car whose entire front section had been mostly pushed under the windshield!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 am 

Sheesh.. I was nearly gone 5 years ago due to heavy pneumonia (1 day later and I would not be typing this), but nothing like this accident wise thank goodness.

Geez what a scare that must have been to feel that coin and all.. BRRRRR.
And the car thing.. brr... didn't even look heh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:04 am 

Wow! Quite a story to tell!
Did you at least get to keep the coin? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 am 

cubeguy314 wrote:
Did you at least get to keep the coin? :lol:

Yes, they handed it to me in a biopsy tube. It was 10 Swiss centimes/rappen, about 19mm (3/4 inch) in diameter - or the width of a Rubik's Cube cubie:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 am 

Send me all your coins. You will be much safer and I will be slightly less poor :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm 

Wow! That sounds tough! Glad you survived all this unharmed. I wish you good luck in the future! Maybe you should avoid Switzerland for some time? :)

http://puzzles.schwandtner.info

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:56 am 

Wow... glad you have escaped both times... (sounds like James Bond type of escapes or something).

Two suggestions:

1. Change your name to Kevin Slot...!
2. Buy a lotto ticket. Although I never encourage gambling, you may still have
some luck left for good use!!!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:32 am 

I do feel a bit like a slot machine, LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm 

Your NDE2-Story reminds me strongly of the movie "final destination".
Where did you sit in the car? :wink:
Take care!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:08 pm 

doctor twist wrote:
Your NDE2-Story reminds me strongly of the movie "final destination".
Where did you sit in the car? :wink:
Take care!!

I was in the passenger seat. And by the way it was an old car - no air bags!