Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warning to all ebay sellers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 am 

First of all I need to warn you about ebay time waster- rodger1975 (Carl Rhymes from UK). This guy won my Green Golden Cube puzzle and then decided he would spend his money on something else and refused to pay. He remained apologetic throughout but still refused to pay for no other reason than he didn't want to. The git even asked for a delayed payment period before deciding not to pay.
So why post here and not just leave negative feedback?
Well, I naturally launched a non payment case against him which seems completely pointless as ebay never actually does anything to force the buyer to fulfil the obligation they made to pay for an item. Unlike when a buyer launches a non delivery case and the money is temporarily taken back. I eventually closed the case and went to leave his feedback. For the first time ever I felt compelled to leave negative feedback which would blemish his 100% record. However ebay would not let me leave feedback because the item was not paid for ?!?
I contacted ebay and they told me-

"Allow me to clarify that we have stopped sellers from leaving negative or neutral Feedback to encourage more buyers to purchase on eBay resulting to an increase in sales for sellers."

l find this unbelievable. Firstly the sentence doesn't even make sense to me and secondly what on earth are they thinking? This time waster can keep his 100% feedback and there's nothing any seller can do about it.

Post subject: Re: Warning to all ebay sellers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
First of all I need to warn you about ebay time waster- rodger1975 (Carl Rhymes from UK).
Well, I naturally launched a non payment case against him which seems completely pointless as ebay never actually does anything to force the buyer to fulfil the obligation they made to pay for an item.

A non-payment case on eBay is not pointless, because you can get the selling fee back.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/
For sale : 1more Puzzle - Triangle & 1more Puzzle - Cubylon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:50 am 

That is right, the eBay seller can either leave positive feedback or no feedback at all. I think that's been valid for 2 years already.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
"Allow me to clarify that we have stopped sellers from leaving negative or neutral Feedback to encourage more buyers to purchase on eBay resulting to an increase in sales for sellers."

l find this unbelievable. Firstly the sentence doesn't even make sense to me and secondly what on earth are they thinking? This time waster can keep his 100% feedback and there's nothing any seller can do about it.

What!? That is absolutely ridiculous. So a buyer can do anything he wants, including refusing to pay for items, with absolute impunity. So by deceiving sellers by giving them a false impression of buyers, ebay intends to boost sales. That's pretty damn rotten. Probably won't be long before buyers can't leave feedback for sellers either!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 pm 

Do eBay still operate a 'strike' system for buyers? I'm sure I remember that they used to give buyers a 'non-payment' strike if they didn't pay for their item for whatever reason. If they accumulated 3 strikes then they'd be out (or free to set up a new account and carry on as usual).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:48 pm 

Yes there is a strike system, after 3 non paid items the buyers account is blocked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm 

mixer wrote:
Yes there is a strike system, after 3 non paid items the buyers account is blocked.

Is that visible to Sellers? I think we have the right to know who is bidding and block those with a strike or two if we wish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:44 am 

No, sellers can not see if buyers have strikes, but sellers have the option to block automatically all buyers who have two or more strikes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 am 

mixer wrote:
No, sellers can not see if buyers have strikes, but sellers have the option to block automatically all buyers who have two or more strikes.

Thanks, I always forget that everything continues to change so I don't regularly check this stuff.
Just got a new email in case this issue concerns people like it does me. It kind of amuses me how it starts hello Tony and then calls me Christopher! Glad these guys aren't in charge of anything important......

"Hello Tony,

Thank you for writing to eBay about leaving feedback to the non paying buyer.

Christopher, I can completely understand your anxiety, but you may not worry as we've not abandoned our Sellers. I understand that it becomes very frustrating when any buyer won your items and didn't pay for it. I found that you have filed a unpaid item case and closed it successfully with a Unpaid item record on the buyer's account. The Unpaid item record will definitely restrict their buying activities. Also, based on the number of strike they receive, we will suspend their account.

As per the recent changes in the feedback policy seller are not allowed to leave negative feedback for the buyers. I would like to inform you that these changes were brought in after a detailed analysis of the site and through a lot of feedback that eBay received through a millions of member like you. Its true that you won't be able to leave negative feedback. The previous system prevented buyers from leaving honest Feedback since they feared retaliation from the sellers if they left a negative. This made it harder for buyers to distinguish between sellers while making bidding or buying decisions. In addition, when buyers received negative Feedback, they reduced their activity in the marketplace, which in-turn harmed sellers. There were a lot of buyers who felt that they were giving a volume of business to sellers and still getting negative feedback for their deeds. This situation made them apprehensive about bidding on high priced items.

I can understand that leaving feedback will help other buyers to know about what they have done to you but as leaving feedback is more important, giving an Unpaid item record to the buyer account is far more improtant. This can help us to keep eBay safe place for trading. By closing the case you will help other members to avoid the non-paying issues. We have the buyer requirements, wherein we can block the non-payers to bid on our item. Therefore, reporting the non-paying issue and taking the initiative will help for the successful transaction in future.

Assume that you have 20 bidders on your item, so in that case, you need to go to each and every bidders feedback profile page and see their feedback this will waste time but by setting the buyer requirement, the non paying bidders will be automatically blocked from bidding on items.

I recommend you to set Buyer Requirements in order to block the bidders who have unpaid item recorded on their accounts from bidding on your items. If a buyer has received 2 or more Unpaid item records on their account, sellers will be able to block them automatically, without even having to go through their Feedback Profile page to check their feedback. You can also set the buyer requirement "don't have a PayPal account" on file and time wasters surely won't be having a PayPal account and should be blocked. By setting buyer requirements, you can help control who can bid on your items. For example, you can block bidders who:

-- Don't have a PayPal account
-- Have unpaid items recorded on their account
-- Have a primary delivery address in countries you don’t post to
-- Have breached eBay policies
-- Have a Feedback score lower than the number you specify

This way, buyer requirements can help you to manage who can bid on your items and help prevent any problems with bidding before they happen. To set your buyer requirements, please follow these instructions:

1. Click on My eBay from the top of most eBay pages. You may be asked to sign in.
2. Click on Site Preferences under the Account heading on the left side of the page.
3. Under Selling Preferences, locate the Buyer requirements section and click on Show.
4. Click on Edit.
5. Select your buyer requirements.
6. You can tick the check box to set buyer requirements to your active and future listing.
7. Then click on Submit at the bottom of the page"