Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving Puzzles to Music
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:15 pm 

I am making a new video series on my YouTube where in each video I solve a puzzle to a groovy song, and I'm aiming to finish the puzzle before the song is over. It's all in one take so sometimes I'll make it sometimes I won't. You're just gonna have to watch and find out! Here's the first video: Episode 1

Let me know how you like it!

My band: Tackle Punch

Post subject: Re: Solving Puzzles to Music
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 am 

It's a good idea however you'll want to be really careful about music licenses. If you get a complaint(s) YouTube will probably force you to change out the audio on your videos which will destroy the premise. The other possibility is that they will ban your account.

Your current video is probably violating copyright laws.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
If you get a complaint(s) YouTube will probably force you to change out the audio on your videos which will destroy the premise.

But he's using music tracks that YouTube offers, right? The only problem with this method is that you can not earn money from such videos - all the profit from the ad's goes to music owners.
By the way, from Germany this link is not available at all, because "GEMA has not granted the respective music rights". Funny, huh? Instead of just blocking the sound and showing silent video they block the whole video.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 pm 

Drat. I was not aware of that. Yeah I got an e-mail of these companies claiming rights or something. I was hoping to become a YouTube partner off of this but sounds like it's not gonna happen, but as long as I get permission for the songs all will be well right?!

My band: Tackle Punch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:29 pm 

Timur wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
If you get a complaint(s) YouTube will probably force you to change out the audio on your videos which will destroy the premise.

But he's using music tracks that YouTube offers, right? The only problem with this method is that you can not earn money from such videos - all the profit from the ad's goes to music owners.
By the way, from Germany this link is not available at all, because "GEMA has not granted the respective music rights". Funny, huh? Instead of just blocking the sound and showing silent video they block the whole video.
I didn't check but I think it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure for whatever reason, you can't play a song over speakers and record it, you must use the YouTube audio replacement feature. I don't know how much this is YouTube policy versus various copyright laws in the countries involved.

For example, in the US even if you own an audio CD, you can't play the CD over speakers in a business or as part of a public performance without a license for commercial use.

There are many example of truly absurd lawsuits and claims around performances of copyrighted works. One particularly egregious example is that the American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers demanded royalties from the Girl Scouts of America for singing campfire songs.

When it comes to copyright law, and especially music copyrights, even if the law is on your side you'll likely be strong-armed into a defeat long before you're able to have your days, months, and years in court.