Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: my first shapeways model
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:52 am 

No, it's not a twistypuzzle.

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=high+ ... compressor

What you see here is a cutmodel of a high pressure compressor from a varaiant of the V2500, which is a modern civil jet engine.
The standard version has a 10 stage compressor but there is one with a 12 stage compressor. I believe it is the V2533-A5 but don't even know.
The information used to create this model I got from the lecture notes to a lecture I attended a year ago in my 4th semester at university. The lecture was about the components of jet engines, especially civil ones.
The files you see are the drums with compressor stages 3 to 8 and 9 to 12. As described on shapeways as well, the drums aren't an assembly kit. I simply split the whole model up due to polygon count limit of shapeways. The printed parts would just have to be glued together along the cut.
The real compressor has these two seperated drums with the "vortex reducer" in between too and is assembled by a whole lot of screws found in my model as well. However I just cut through these screws because I actually intended the whole cutmodel to be one printable part rather than a scale assembly kit which would be much more costly and difficult to design due to tolerances and such.
I initially made the file only for a rendering to be put on a project assay as cover page last semester. It is therefore of course not designed with respect to fluid dynamics at all. It was just supposed to look like what I saw on the little pictures in the lecture notes. Now the professor of that lecture, who saw my essay wanted the files to make a printed model for the purpose of creating an exhibit for the lecture! I changed some pieces inside and only wanted to check the quality and if it's possible to print in the first place via shapeways. I suppose the prof will go someplace else to get it printed.
It would be roughly 1400€ = 1750$ in WSF, so nothing you would want to buy privately. Anyone who would pay so much would probably want one with original proportions and not just one that looks about the same like the real one. Still I'll leave it in the shop too. :mrgreen:
In stainless steel it's even 8000€ = 10000$ which is hillarious.

Anyway, this is how I became a shapeways user now and am already working on other stuff.

If you are interested in planes and engineering you might also want to check out my new GE90 Fan cufflink. It's amazing too. Description of that one is on shapeways too. And it's only 11€ = 13.75$ per piece in stainless steel. I ordered the first two already and will upload photographs later. I get a whole one euro profit though. I couldn't resist putting some small value there 8-)

My username there is my real name Leander, the shop is Alaskajoe's stuff.
There is more to come.

Attachments:
737x600.jpg
737x600.jpg [ 233.04 KiB | Viewed 728 times ]

Post subject: Re: my first shapeways model
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 am 

I am just going to already answer this myself with an update
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Alaskajoe
There are new cufflinks and some keychains. Now this will be it for a while though.
Probably...