Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hosting Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm 

TwistyPuzzles.com is quickly outgrowing it's current hosting plan in terms of bandwidth and disk space. I've been offered an upgrade by my host (whom I have been with since day 1), but have also done some shopping around and found some hosting plans with everything we need for much less money.

One host I am looking at specifically is GoDaddy.com. Does anyone have any direct experience with their hosting services? Issues I'm wondering about are: ability to customize the environment (perl & PHP libraries, HTACCESS files and similar), uptime, server speed (for a website with a big mySQL database, about 250GB monthly bandwidth and about 1,000,000 monthly page views), response to issues (like me crashing their server as I've done to my host more than a few times), customer service (if I have questions, etc) and the process of transferring an old and technically convoluted domain there.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Hosting Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:16 pm 

Avoid godaddy like the plague.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:58 pm 

While I appreciate your willingness, I'm hoping for answers that are more elaborate and more specific to my needs. A quick search offers me thousands of perspectives on GoDaddy hosting, most of which seem to be brief, emotional and strongly worded, some are in favour and some are against, and none seem to be all that useful for answering my questions!

I switched my domain registrations to them a few years ago. For the same quality and level of service, they saved me a bunch of money when compared to my previous registrar. Furthermore, the transfer was problem free, and I find their site easy enough to use for managing my domains. But that's where my GoDaddy experience ends. This good experience is part of the reason I'm considering them as a host.

Have you had a direct experience hosting with them, jabeck? If so, how did it go?

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:33 pm 

Hi Sandy,

I'm really glad you're exploring other hosting options. I've had concerns about your current host for a while. In addition to uptime and reliability, I'm concerned a bit about security. There is a lot of irreplaceable knowledge stored in this forum and it would be a terrible shame for a security or hosting competence failure to wipe out data and backups. Having looked at some of how your provider appears to do things, it seems like very "mom and pop" sort of provider looking to keep costs low.

From your specifications it sounds like you're looking for a hosting provider to maintain the OS, web server, and database for you and just provide you you a spot to stick stuff. I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of service because I tend not to trust other providers to make the right decisions when the impact the security and reliability of my systems.

If you are interested in doing it all yourself via a cloud provider such as Amazon EC2 or Linode I'd be willing to discuss options and help price out a "cloud solution" versus another provider. I especially like this option because you have control over all of the components that impact the performance, reliability, and security of your hosting. You also have more control of the costs (and less over some other costs). With regard to more working doing it yourself, I'd be happy to do the sysadmining work. Obviously going down this route will require a lot more behind the scenes discussion.

On the topic of GoDaddy, the only things that come to mind right now are past mass-compromises of GoDaddy hosted sites due to exploits in their admin panels or inadequate authentication of requests called into their customer support. They have also had DNS transferring issue and also have been known to wrongly terminate customers when a fraudulent/false complaint against a customer comes in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 pm 

jabeck wrote:
Avoid godaddy like the plague.

Would you care to explain why we should stay away GoDaddy.com? Whats your reason for saying so?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 am 

I've had a great experience with pair.com but my sites hosted with them are extremely minimal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:46 am 

A business partner has registered and hosts his site with GoDaddy (check with domain checker).
But this website is very limited in features.

I learned that the only issue once was that he did not read his e-mail address frequently, so missed the continuation of the domain name once. (GoDaddy will not give you a call when your domain expires)

And they have functional webmail; but that's not really what you're looking at now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 am 

I have registered with GoDaddy for a few years now with no complaints. When I forgot to re-register they had be back on line within a day after a phone call and my payment.
My site is hosted by HostGator and they have been just fine for me (recommended by my friend). But then again my piddly site is nothing compared to TP :)

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:52 pm 

Sorry to be so vague about godaddy - I would say in general, though, that I've just heard WAY too many complaints about unethical behavior on their part - internal employees bidding against customers for domain names to increase prices, and support of SOPA (and subsequent reversal of support after a massive exodus and boycott...) On top of all that, it's probably going to be overpriced for a site of this size I would think...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm still working on this. I just got dinged with an "overage charge" due to bandwidth, and I'm expecting another imminently due to hard drive space. Yeesh!

The more I read about GoDaddy, the more it seems better suited for sites with less traffic and CPU demands.

I'm currently digging up the dirt on HostGator. Please share your opinions if you have any.

bmenrigh, expect a PM from me shortly.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:10 pm 

Good luck with the search - I'm a .NET programmer, so I've used http://www.discountasp.com/ before - very, very good service from them, but the plans can get pricey... It's worth it, but then again, I can't vouch for their PHP hosting abilities... I would assume it's just as good, but they are a Microsoft focused hosting provider... Another provider I've used before is Hostican.com, but I would not recommend them - my site was hacked twice for no reason.

Post subject: Hosting Question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:29 pm 

Don't know much about forums but when I was looking for a host for my basic site I couldn't find a bad word said about Arvixe. Having used them now for a few years I find them superb. They have actual humans immediately answering my newbie questions and down time is virtually non existent.
Upon checking now though I see they are starting to get some bad reviews so perhaps not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:50 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Upon checking now though I see they are starting to get some bad reviews so perhaps not.
I think all big hosting providers tend to get "bad reviews" because it is inevitable that when you have a lot of folks, some have a very bad experience. A few bad reviews tend to drown out all of the happy customers.

I really question both good and bad reviews for technology related things. Some of the best and worst reviews stem from misunderstandings of the technologies involved. People that think they understand a technology (but really don't) have a tendency to state things in a very authoritative tone that is actually incorrect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 am 

That's what I'm seeing too. No matter where I look, the complaints are considerably more numerous and more verbose than the accolades. After a decent amount of research on the topic, I've come to the conclusion that for my technology needs and price preferences, HostGator is the front runner.

I intend to get the ball rolling on this soon by signing up for a plan, putting a copy of the full site on the new host, running a test of all the major site features, and switching over only when all seems to be working.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Sandy