Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Learning D'ni! (Riven)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:33 pm 

Hello!

I'm learning D'ni, which is a fairly obscure language from riven. Sample text can be seen here and here.

Anyone learned it in the past? Learning?

Or, willing to learn alongside with me?

Thanks!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Post subject: Re: Learning D'ni! (Riven)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:41 pm 

I love Riven. Such a great game. I really liked the base 5 number system. Isn't the Riven "language" just a letter/symbol substitution to some real-world natural language?

There were a few things that bugged me about Riven though. I'm a bit of an OCD perfectionist though so I get bugged by minor things.

For example, the 5 sound/eye balls that make the sound of the animal and show the number that the animal needs to be pressed in sequence in the underground stone room. Each eye is placed in the world in such a way that if you are standing in the right spot you can see the outline of the shape of the animal. This is true of all of them including the fish EXCEPT the Sunner eye (number 4 IIRC). The Sunner eye is below the dagger in the forest pathway and there is that white opening / shutter thing that looks like an eyepiece or something to look though. I feel like they intended for there be a way for you to view the world and see the Sunner outline but that they never got around to adding it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm 

Shhhhh! Haven't finished the game yet :lol:

D'ni is, indeed, a full construct language. And my friend says I have to learn it to beat Riven, but I think it's an awesome language anyway.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 pm 

NType3 wrote:
Shhhhh! Haven't finished the game yet :lol:

D'ni is, indeed, a full construct language. And my friend says I have to learn it to beat Riven, but I think it's an awesome language anyway.

I have played through that game at least 5 times through. I do hope you figure it all out without hints. If you do want hints I think I can ask you constructive questions that will cause you to think about the situation you are stuck in to get you through it in a way that won't give you the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm 

Thank you so much! I sincerely hope I won't be needing your help :lol: (not meaning to be rude, sorry if it sounds that way)

Up for learning D'ni?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm 

NType3 wrote:
Thank you so much! I sincerely hope I won't be needing your help :lol: (not meaning to be rude, sorry if it sounds that way)
Riven is quite hard. It took me more than 6 months to figure out and a friend gave me two hints that got me through a puzzle. I wish he had asked me the right questions to lead me to connecting the dots on my own. So much of Riven makes sense after you have solved the puzzle but putting it all together to actually solve the puzzle in the first place is another story altogether. By comparison, I found Myst and Myst III quite easy and finished both in a few days each.

NType3 wrote:
Up for learning D'ni?
Not really :? I'm much more of a numbers person. I found it very interesting reading about but actually learning it, not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:39 pm 

Yeah, I definitely understand that :lol:

Thanks! Will post back here when I'm completely lost (inevitable).

Also, do you need to be able to read D'niish to finish?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:54 pm 

NType3 wrote:
Also, do you need to be able to read D'niish to finish?
No, the alphabet and language are not important. The number system is. You will need to be able to read those box-based numbers.

And if you run into numbers with 'nd, 'rd or 'th suffix and when you translate that number you don't get a numbers like "twenty second" or "forty third" or "fifteenth" you're doing something wrong.

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 pm 

Okay, duly noted. Wish me luck!