Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Polyphasic sleeping
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:48 am 

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if any of you have ever heard of Polyphasic sleeping, or more gerneral, the Uberman sleep schedule.
Here's a wonderful little wikepedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep
That article is, however, slightly negatively biased, as the Uberman has no know health disadvantages, and in fact, most people who use it report feeling healthier than on a normal, 8 hours per night sleep schedule.

The general idea behind any of these polyphasic sleep schedules, but specifically the Uberman, is that by sleeping more often, you are able to sleep less, and can skip all those pesky 1-4 sleep stages, instead going straight into REM sleep, and for 2 hours a day instead of the normal 1 1/2 hours got in a normal sleep schedule...

And, a wonderfully in depth blog about a guy who was on the Uberman for 5 months, he only quit because teh sleep schedule began interfering with his work and social life: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/1 ... log-day-1/

Anyway, I personally have decided to start using the Uberman myself, and was wondering if anyone here had ever heard of and/or used the Uberman sleep schedule before, or would have anything to contribute to this discussion.
It is a highly efficent form of sleep, requiring only 2 hours total a day, and giving you 22 awake hours per day, but you are only ever awake for about 3 1/2 hours, or 4 1/2 if you stretch nap time to it's max, so it can be inconvenient at times, although I think it should definitely be considered an alternative to normal sleep for college students.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

Last edited by elijah on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Polyphasic sleeping
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am 

I have slept for only 3.5-4 hours per night for many years, and have always felt absolutely fine.

In fact Margeret Thatcher, Jay Leno, Madonna, Florence Nightingale, Anton Ballard, Michelangelo, Napoleon, Martha Stewart, and Thomas Edison, are/were all well known for getting only four hours sleep per night.

Sleep is a bit like washing your clothes, it works in 3.5-4 hour cycles to soak, wash, rinse, spin and dry your brain. The brain might prefer two full cycles (7-8 hours in total), just as washing your clothes twice in succession would make them that little bit cleaner, but the difference is marginal and you can wake up after just one cycle of 3.5-4 hours each night and feel absolutely refreshed and alert, with no problems. The problem is when you try to wake up after 2 hours, or after 5-6 hours. You feel groggy and awful because it's like trying to take your clothes out the washing machine half way through a cycle, while they're still soapy and sopping wet. On that basis I wouldn't recommend the Uberman sleep schedule, where you never put your brain through a full, uninterrupted sleep/wash cycle - which you need to clean out all the free radicals after burning a hundred grams of glucose in your brain during the day!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:11 am 

hmm I have some mysterious sleeping issue, in that I am nearly always tired, and yet find it very difficult to get to sleep: Even if my body demands rest, my mind is still just a little too awake. Any diagnosis?

I'm on summer holiday for a little less than another month, so I will give this a try- I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Also, I don't suppose there are any known long-term health benefits/ problems with this?

Will

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:22 am 

DudeHuLubeDaRubeCube wrote:
I am nearly always tired, and yet find it very difficult to get to sleep: Even if my body demands rest, my mind is still just a little too awake. Any diagnosis?
Check the internet for anxiety and insomnia, see if you recognize the symptoms. Also maybe take some iron supplements and try to get more outdoor physical exercise and fresh air. Or better speak to a doctor.

DudeHuLubeDaRubeCube wrote:
I'm on summer holiday for a little less than another month, so I will give this a try- I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Also, I don't suppose there are any known long-term health benefits/ problems with this?
I would try to sort out your anxiety/insomnia (if that's what you have) before experimenting with new sleeping patterns, as these are still quite controversial and may indeed have some long-term effects... :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:01 pm 

There are no known negative health effects from the switch to a polyphasic sleep schedule. Long term, I agree, it is probably not the best idea, or at least a day every 6 weeks or so it may be a good idea to sleep a full night. Although once again, no one who has ever done this and recorded it appears to have had any negative health effects because of it, but, no one has ever recorded being on the Uberman sleep schedule for more than 2 years either, as far as I now.
As far as I know, and it seems, almost anyone knows, REM sleep is the only sleep necessary for healing the brain, and the only sleep you can not live without, and this sleep schedule actually provides you with more REM once you're adjusted to it than you would have under a monophasic sleep schedule(sleeping once a day).

Kelvin Stott wrote:
I would try to sort out your anxiety/insomnia (if that's what you have) before experimenting with new sleeping patterns, as these are still quite controversial and may indeed have some long-term effects...

While I agree, it may be a good idea to see a doctor, a common problem causing insomnia is irregular sleep patterns, and, the Uberman sleep schedule has in the past cured people's insomnia, nightmares, night terrors, and various other sleep problems. However, as a less drastic measure, if you're still unsure, you could always just reschedule your sleep patterns to waking up at the same time each day, then going to bed when you're tired. I assure you at least, that THAT has no medical downsides :D , while polyphasic sleep does come with a disclaimer "Warning: Results unknown".
Overall though, Polyphasic sleepers report more energy, Ridiculous amounts of free time, no loss in mental function, or any new physical problems as a result of the new sleep patterns, and a decrease in sleep problems. Although, they do tend to suffer higher food bills! :lol:

Here's an article on how to become an early riser: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/0 ... rly-riser/

Thanks for the comments! :mrgreen:
Elijah

Edit: Also, I'm currently on my first day of Polyphasic sleeping, I got to sleep last night, but have begun the napping schedule. I will add posts to this topic as I go, let you all know how it's going. Maybe I'll make a blog on tumbler or something and post a link here.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 pm 

Unfortunately my work schedule wouldn't allow for that many naps.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:36 pm 

theVDude wrote:
Unfortunately my work schedule wouldn't allow for that many naps.

Ya, that tends to be the main reason anyone ends a polyphasic sleep schedule, it's not as flexible as a normal sleep schedule.

Also, this is an actual study done on polyphasic sleeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myi2sRph69A
Turns out, you don't get just REM sleep on the Uberman, the percentages of each sleep type are the same, you simply get one stage per nap... really really interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:16 pm 

A forum, for any of you who are interested: http://trypolyphasic.com/forum/
Although, I'll admit, it's not as active as our forum.