Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I WANNA GO BACK TO PHILMONT!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 am 

Philmont is a High Adventure Scout Ranch, one of three in the Triple Crown. 10 days of backpacking in mountainous New Mexico near Cimarron. The other two are Northern Tier and Sea Base. Philmont's motto is, simply, "I WANNA GO BACK TO PHILMONT!!!"

But, I'm not just posting this for the fun of it. No, I'm showing off another one of my puzzles, thanks to Philmont. See, there are two places in Philmont where you can brand any item you want, so naturally, I brought along my V-Cube 5 which is already at the end of its life. I got it branded, so behold! The Philmont Logo!

It's branded in the scrambled state in order to provide two separate solved states. Still fully functional, though I thought it would impair the turning. It had to wait a few minutes to cool before I could turn the warped layers.

Attachments:
IMG000046.jpg
IMG000046.jpg [ 39.96 KiB | Viewed 562 times ]
IMG000045.jpg
IMG000045.jpg [ 41.93 KiB | Viewed 562 times ]
IMG000044.jpg
IMG000044.jpg [ 37.46 KiB | Viewed 562 times ]

Post subject: Re: I WANNA GO BACK TO PHILMONT!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 am 

Philmont was amazing, I hope to return one day. Have you done the other two yet? If not, you should try for the Triple Crown award - you won't regret it. I've been to Northern Tier twice (once was Bissett) and Sea Base once.

Nice brand! If I had been into cubes back when I went, I probably would have done the same thing, but alas, just my boots and cap for me :lol:.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 am 

Haha that looks amazing! I got the cattle brand on one boot and the horse brand on another. Philmont was so fun! What were some of the places you went on your trek? Notably, we went to the top of Baldy and the Tooth of Time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:54 am 

I did sea base this year and man was that amazing. Not a lot like other scouting adventures because I was on a boat for a week with tons of great food playing cards and fishing off the back all day long. Oh and the coral reefs were amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 am 

cjgerik:
My troop went to Northern Tier last year, Philmont this year and two years ago, and will be attending Sea Base next year. While I didn't do Northern Tier nor am I signed up for next year's Sea Base, I wish to hopefully get the other two as an adult leader, since I'm now 17. One member in my troop attended Northern Tier and Philmont and plans to go to Sea Base as well, so he'll beat me to Triple Crown. He may be joining us on this forum sometime soon.

Jack Lopez:
2 years ago I did Itinerary 13, which is Anasazi, Indian Writings, Ponil, Pueblano, Ute Creek, Layover to Baldy, High Dean, New Dean, Dean Cow, Harlan.
This time I did Itinerary 12, which is Lover's Leap, Urracca, Zastrow, Lower Bonito, Buck Creek, Crooked Creek, Mount Phillips camp/peak, Sawmill, Vaca, Dean Cow. I was Crew Leader this time around.

PM6262:
There may have been a boat for a week with playing cards and fishing and coral reefs, but the food? How can you beat Squeeze Cheese? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Cool! Now those cattle rustlers will be easily apprehended when they try stealing and selling your V-Cube 7 :lol: