Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hookah
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
This is a thread for Hookah discussion :D Ever since my friends and I have turned 18 we have made Hookah a weekly ritual. I think It's great and it's a really good way to pass time with your friends. In this thread you can talk about your favorite Hookahs,Shishas,Coals, etc. I really like the Starbuzz brand, especially their Blue Mist flavor. I plan on getting a KM Hookah soon unless someone suggests another one here :D

Have Fun!

Chris Hemerich


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
Yeah, I love putting smoke and soot into my lungs. It's totally natural!

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Strawberry lemonade shisha is the bomb.

That said, I'm an extremely infrequent Hookah user so I'm no expert in coals or anything like that.

_________________
-Garrett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: England
I use a Hookah maybe 3-4 times a year, but when I do, it is always with lots of friends.
I don't like smoking but I find with a hookah that it is more natural, and generally nicer.

Synester wrote:
Yeah, I love putting smoke and soot into my lungs. It's totally natural!


You can get tar and nicotine free tobacco as well.

Robert

_________________
KelvinS wrote:
Can you post my number on there please, then maybe I won't have to pay for such calls in future...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
If only were just tar and nicotine. There are far too many chemicals in tobacco, including poisons.

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am
Luke wrote:
If only were just tar and nicotine. There are far too many chemicals in tobacco, including poisons.



You're thinking cigarrettes. Companies like Marlboro add stuff in with tobacco. Tobacco itself isn't great, yes, but the cigarrette companies make it about 100x worse.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotin ... dients.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: United Kingdom
My view is that; any inhalation of smoke, will compromise your health and to engage in such "activities" for fun is pure idiocy.

Inhaling different types of smoke or substances can never be considered "better" or "worse", as all have the same common attribute of being foreign to the body, and all bring with them negative effects.

And as with all social habits, i.e. smoking, drinking etc. All this money is spent, yet nothing is ever left over to show for it.. except organ damage.

Quote:
You can get tar and nicotine free tobacco as well.


But you can't get smoke free smoke.

_________________
Website | YouTube Channel |

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
And in other breaking news.....living is found to be expensive and to shorten your life span!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: United Kingdom
But generally the threats to health and costs associated with living are unavoidable.

Smoking, drinking etc is an option, an option that brings with it additional threats to an individual and those around him/ her.

_________________
Website | YouTube Channel |

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
There are many risks associated with living - you could be hit by a bus crossing a street (my mother's favourite warning) so i think doing something as harmless as a little hookah needs a little perspective before all the dire health warnings are issued.

If people choose to do something that may be a little harmful to their health in the pursuit of enjoyment and a happier life which isn't harming others why do people feel the need to jump in with warnings?

It's the person that is doing whatever it is choice, i'm sure they are aware of the risks so why do we need to judge whether the activities they are doing are harmful or not?

If someone likes motorcycling, parachute jumping, swimming etc etc would we be as quick to warn them of the dangers?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:17 pm
Location: Hong Kong
After a pack a day at the end of 20 years-that started out from smoking something else-I wouldn't advise it. But, I won't be one of those reformed smokers who harps :lol: :lol:

What I will do is say to be nice to each other. There is no need for snippiness or telling others what to do. I spent the day with Uwe again, and I know he is pretty much a tea totaler, but while he doesn't approve of alcohol, he has never begrudged me my fun. Case in point, there's a cubing competition coming up that I want to go to, but probably not with him (although he will be there) because that is a boys and toys and beer weekend. He's "given me his blessing" if you will.

And if he can then who is anyone to tell other what they do is wrong. Definitely not I!

_________________
Rox's Rambling Blog
Katsmom's Puzzling Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm
RyanA wrote:
All this money is spent, yet nothing is ever left over to show for it.. except organ damage.


Kinda reminds me of X-Factor / Britain's Got Talent / America's Got Talent / Big Brother / I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! / etc... :lol:

_________________
For Jasmine Rose... Happy 2nd Birthday in Heaven, 2nd Dec 2013 xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: United Kingdom
heiowge wrote:
RyanA wrote:
All this money is spent, yet nothing is ever left over to show for it.. except organ damage.


Kinda reminds me of X-Factor / Britain's Got Talent / America's Got Talent / Big Brother / I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! / etc... :lol:


Lol that's a good one Heiowge ;)

_________________
Website | YouTube Channel |

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm
I love smoking. I used to get through a couple of packs a day. I quit 9 years ago and still miss 'em. While I accept that people must have their vices, as long as I am not in the path of the smog cloud or it doesn't cost me a bean, I say go for it. As long as they are aware that I ended up in hospital due to smoking twice before I hit 30.

_________________
For Jasmine Rose... Happy 2nd Birthday in Heaven, 2nd Dec 2013 xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 am
Location: Hong Kong/Beijing
katsmom wrote:
After a pack a day at the end of 20 years-that started out from smoking something else-I wouldn't advise it. But, I won't be one of those reformed smokers who harps :lol: :lol:

What I will do is say to be nice to each other. There is no need for snippiness or telling others what to do. I spent the day with Uwe again, and I know he is pretty much a tea totaler, but while he doesn't approve of alcohol, he has never begrudged me my fun. Case in point, there's a cubing competition coming up that I want to go to, but probably not with him (although he will be there) because that is a boys and toys and beer weekend. He's "given me his blessing" if you will.

And if he can then who is anyone to tell other what they do is wrong. Definitely not I!


Are you saying the Guangzhou WCA competition? Hope to go there too but seems my working schedule doesn;t allow me to...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
This is a discussion on Hookah guys, not health. But Shisha itself has 0% tar and only .05% nicotine. I don't appreciate anyone saying that it is "Pure Idiocy" on this thread. Take your bias elsewhere. This discussion is also not about cigarettes which are full of chemicals unlike Shisha.

Thanks :D ,

Chris Hemerich


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm
As someone who has asthma and has been hospitalized MANY times because of it, I would say that screwing up your lungs is definitely not a good idea. I don't understand why people who are lucky enough to have perfectly good lungs do this to themselves. Take your good lungs as a blessing and don't screw them up by doing something easily preventable!

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just want everyone to know how lucky they are to have normal lungs. Let's not make this another flaming war like we've seen in other topics.

_________________
Selling White Dino Star
Tony Fisher wrote:
By midnight Rox will have revealed all her secrets, told everyone that she loves us and end up banning herself tomorrow when she reads it all back.

Transsexual and Proud!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
portal1920 wrote:
As someone who has asthma and has been hospitalized MANY times because of it, I would say that screwing up your lungs is definitely not a good idea. I don't understand why people who are lucky enough to have perfectly good lungs do this to themselves. Take your good lungs as a blessing and don't screw them up by doing something easily preventable!

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just want everyone to know how lucky they are to have normal lungs. Let's not make this another flaming war like we've seen in other topics.


No more of these please? THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, GO MAKE A LUNG HEALTH THREAD IF YOU WANT.

Thanks :D

Chris Hemerich

Would it be possible for an admin to remove the unrelated posts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm
Synester wrote:
This is a thread for Hookah discussion :D

Synester wrote:
Would it be possible for an admin to remove the unrelated posts?

Technically, it is Hookah discussion. There are positive and negative aspects to every discussion. Are you going to ask an admin to remove someone's reply to a new puzzle if they say they don't like it?

Synester wrote:
THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, GO MAKE A LUNG HEALTH THREAD IF YOU WANT.

Could've done without the "yelling". :wink:

_________________
Selling White Dino Star
Tony Fisher wrote:
By midnight Rox will have revealed all her secrets, told everyone that she loves us and end up banning herself tomorrow when she reads it all back.

Transsexual and Proud!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
portal1920 wrote:
Synester wrote:
This is a thread for Hookah discussion :D

Synester wrote:
Would it be possible for an admin to remove the unrelated posts?

Technically, it is Hookah discussion. There are positive and negative aspects to every discussion. Are you going to ask an admin to remove someone's reply to a new puzzle if they say they don't like it?

Synester wrote:
THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, GO MAKE A LUNG HEALTH THREAD IF YOU WANT.

Could've done without the "yelling". :wink:


That is not Hookah discussion. Have you ever used a Hookah? I clearly stated in the OP what direction I would like the thread to take. If you do not agree with that, can you please not post on this thread about health warnings?

Thanks :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm
I can see this turning into something nasty, so I'll just stop here. That being said, I still disagree with what you're doing, but I'll leave you alone about it.

Sorry for the trouble.

_________________
Selling White Dino Star
Tony Fisher wrote:
By midnight Rox will have revealed all her secrets, told everyone that she loves us and end up banning herself tomorrow when she reads it all back.

Transsexual and Proud!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:56 pm
Just cleaned up my old hookah
i've got two because the first one i bought ofline came smashed in half
they sent me a replacement and let me keep the old one, which i fixed
wooohooo

_________________
MY ZAZZLE SHOP!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am
Location: In Front Of My Teraminx (saying WTF?)
Don't worry about the "yelling", Chris generally gets ticked off easily :wink:

No, but seriously... I think once every couple weeks or even months it's okay, coz yur lungs get time to recover, but doing it often is just stupid. People get all worked up about AIDS, but this is as deadly on the long term, people should just stop, or make it illegal, like in France (for once they're the first ones to be responsible) because although most smokers are in denial about the risks (don't deny this, you'll just prove my point), nothing is done to help with that...

Just my two cents, don't get all worked up about it :roll:

- Greg

_________________
My Shapeways Shop!
My Designs
My Official Results
My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
Smokers are aware of the risks, they just choose to ignore them.
Just like every other activity carries risks but people choose to ignore them.

Must be pretty boring for you guys, never leaving your house to travel in a car or by plane because of the risks..........

Life is about weighing up what you want versus the risks/negative side, smokers have made their choice to smoke why do non-smokers feel the need to act so preachily towards them?

Nobody is criticising the choice you make not to smoke so as Synester has asked for several times in this thread already just leave it as a discussion about hookah smoking. I can understand why he "shouted" - people weren't listening when he was "talking"

Oh and also ending a post with "let's not start another flame war" or "just my two cents" does not nullify what you wrote before it.

And luckily i'm not a bit worked up :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm
I have no problem with smoking. As long as I don't have to inhale it or pay for it (either directly or indirectly due to paying for lung cancer treatments etc for compulsive smokers).

_________________
For Jasmine Rose... Happy 2nd Birthday in Heaven, 2nd Dec 2013 xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
This is like starting a thread "What is you favourite car?" and it gets swamped with "you stupid idiot, cars are killing the planet and harming children and baby pandas and YOU MUST USE A BICYCLE".

I know nothing about hookahs, and if you want to use one, go ahead. But if someone with experience offers sensible advice, listen. Of course you can then reject it. That is your right.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Last edited by Gus on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
heiowge wrote:
As long as I don't have to inhale it or pay for it (either directly or indirectly due to paying for lung cancer treatments etc for compulsive smokers).


That's ok - as long as you also won't pay for accident and emergency departments for people that are injured in car crashes (it's a dangerous activity and people shouldn't do it) or that injure themselves while drunk etc etc etc ad infinitum

Edit: You beat me to it Gus!


Last edited by Zzupler on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana USA
Logic Flaw: Cars are often necessary to get to work, and thus to live.
Hookah is not.

But more on topic:
I'd like to hear someone who frequents the substance describe the feeling it gives them.

_________________
-Charlie Hurlocker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
funmonkey54 wrote:
Logic Flaw: Cars are often necessary to get to work, and thus to live.


I don't really get your need to correct AN EXAMPLE (judge the argument for logic if you want to be pedantic) but despite this the discussion was not about whether a hookah or a car was necessary for work or indeed to live - it was about whether people can do something they want to that is legal AS A FORM OF ENJOYMENT without others condescendingly warning them of the dangers.

Caps are for emphasis, not shouting, as an attempt (doomed to failure, i know) to highlight my main points.

I'm done here, i believe most people will understand my position.

Good luch with the thread Synester :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm
Zzupler wrote:
That's ok - as long as you also won't pay for accident and emergency departments for people that are injured in car crashes (it's a dangerous activity and people shouldn't do it) or that injure themselves while drunk etc etc etc ad finitum


Suits me! :lol:

I'm fed up of the number of alcoholics jamming up A&E. I had problems with them last year when I was in for kidney stones. As for car crashes... in the UK, the insurance company pays for the medical expenses - pretty much the only time it isn't paid for by the state.

...but I get your point. I just don't see why I have to pay for someone else's enjoyment.

_________________
For Jasmine Rose... Happy 2nd Birthday in Heaven, 2nd Dec 2013 xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
I'm baaaa....aaacckkk!

heiowge wrote:

As for car crashes... in the UK, the insurance company pays for the medical expenses - pretty much the only time it isn't paid for by the state.


What if the driver in the wrong was also uninsured? Who pays then?

heiowge wrote:
...but I get your point. I just don't see why I have to pay for someone else's enjoyment.


It's called living in a society.

But you should be much more worried about other things you are paying for ....like wars!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
Sigh.... :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm
Yeah I don't like wars either. Plenty of unnecessary ones these days.

As for if the party in the wrong was uninsured...

Your insurance pays out instead at no cost to you and they try and recoup the losses in court. It has no effect on your no-claims bonus. If you're not insured either, say you were on a bike and they were in an uninsured car, then the state tries to get it's cash back from them, not you. Either way, the party at fault gets a bill.

I suppose there are plenty of things we pay for that are unnecessary. Maybe I should go live on a desert island somewhere. Maybe buy a hookah! :lol:

_________________
For Jasmine Rose... Happy 2nd Birthday in Heaven, 2nd Dec 2013 xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am
heiowge wrote:
then the state tries to get it's cash back from them, not you. Either way, the party at fault gets a bill.

But if the person couldn't afford to pay the insurance to begin with it's highly unlikely they can afford to pay this bill, in which case it's covered by the state (A.K.A. you the taxpayer)

heiowge wrote:
Maybe buy a hookah! :lol:


Indeed! They're nice! But they may be quite bad for your health.....or so i've heard! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Synester wrote:
This is a thread for Hookah discussion :D Ever since my friends and I have turned 18 we have made Hookah a weekly ritual. I think It's great and it's a really good way to pass time with your friends. In this thread you can talk about your favorite Hookahs,Shishas,Coals, etc. I really like the Starbuzz brand, especially their Blue Mist flavor. I plan on getting a KM Hookah soon unless someone suggests another one here :D

Have Fun!

Chris Hemerich


Do you have any photos? kind of intrigued to see what kind of stuff you are talking about.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
RyanA wrote:
But you can't get smoke free smoke.

Kind of, if you use a vaporizer you get a vapor. That's more for illicit activities, though.

Heck, I'm sorry Chris. It seems like my quick reply garnered this thread a bunch of negativity. Listen guys, you know how people didn't go into the dubstep thread and say "Country is the best genre" and "You shouldn't listen to dubstep"? Let's keep that kind of attitude. While you might be against smoking (and I obviously am) you can state that without pushing the issue (like I did).

That said, I understand that a hookah can be great for getting together with friends and hanging out!

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Last edited by theVDude on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:19 pm
Location: Yaroslavl, Russia and Maryland, USA
Tony Fisher wrote:
Synester wrote:
Do you have any photos? kind of intrigued to see what kind of stuff you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
It's used to smoke all kinds of stuff though water. That would include tobacco or even light narcotics, as well as simple (and probably relatively harmless) herbal mixes.

_________________
Aleksey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
Water and a STEM. If someone said just water, I'd assume water pipe.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
Here is a hookah that I am looking to get as an example Tony:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 66&bih=705


And here is what is placed in bowl and smoked:

http://starbuzz.us/


Also here is a video running through the whole Hookah process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVeDrh3 ... re=related

Also note in that Wikipedia article about the Health Risks of Hookah, all of those studies were actually done on water pipes, which are different than hookahs. There has not yet been an official study on the affects of Hookah Smoke.


Thanks!

Chris Hemerich


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:19 pm
Location: Yaroslavl, Russia and Maryland, USA
Please explain the difference between hookah and water pipe. I've always known that hookah is a water pipe, albeit more sophisticated with inclusion of a stem, rather than having people inhale from the body of the instrument (the pipe) itself. There are also multi-stem hookah that are even more convenient for group smoking.

I just looked at the wikipedia article about it, and it collaborates: Water pipes bubble smoke through water to cool and wash the smoke. The two basic types are stationary hookahs, with one or more long flexible drawtubes, and portable bongs.

_________________
Aleksey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Littleton CO
I’ve only used one once and I liked it a lot. I wouldn’t use it ALL the time but it was nice to just relax and have fun with friends.
My friend and I actually found his brother’s hookah was taken this morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: California
My oldest brother and his wife have a Hookah, but I've never gotten around to trying it. I am a bit interested to try it, however, I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

My younger brother tried it at a friends house a couple months ago, and he said that he really liked it.

I was actually reading the Wikipedia article about Hookah, and it was saying something about people in some countries smoking hookah for like, 6-8 hours/day. I can't even imagine that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
Near wrote:
My oldest brother and his wife have a Hookah, but I've never gotten around to trying it. I am a bit interested to try it, however, I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

My younger brother tried it at a friends house a couple months ago, and he said that he really liked it.

I was actually reading the Wikipedia article about Hookah, and it was saying something about people in some countries smoking hookah for like, 6-8 hours/day. I can't even imagine that.

IDK, how long does it take some people to smoke a cigarette? 20 times that for one pack. I bet it adds up quick.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: California
Well the article said that in about an hour of smoking Hookah, it's only about 2 times the nicotine of a cigarette (doesn't sound bad), but 100-200 times the amount of smoke inhaled. I don't know how true those figures are, but I figure if it relaxes you, nobody else should be able to tell you that you can't or shouldn't do it. Probably shouldn't do it around kids though, at any rate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Thanks for getting this back on topic (sorry, I was gone for the weekend and didn't catch it veering off topic).

Let's keep it positive, please (from all sides).

Dave :)

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Canada
http://www.geekologie.com/2011/03/a_lon ... ng_far.php
Not sure if you can smoke with it or not, but it's awesome no matter what!
EDIT: The last comments say that it is

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: California
I'm curious about what would be the differences between different types of coals. DO they add flavour too? I thought that maybe just the Shisha was flavoured.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Littleton CO
Near wrote:
I'm curious about what would be the differences between different types of coals. DO they add flavour too? I thought that maybe just the Shisha was flavoured.

I’m pretty sure certain coals just burn longer and are easier to use and stuff like that. I’m no expert but that’s my best guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
Coals do not affect the flavor, the only serve to heat the Shisha.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hookah
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: Evanston, IL
Gosh I hope so.

(The above was in response to a conversation that has been deleted. A troll joined the forum, posted rude stuff here, and we were expressing our hopes that he would be banned. The moderators dealt with him quickly and quietly. And now I'll duck out of this discussion... I'm not a fan of smoking... or being around smokers for that matter...)

_________________
Eitan = "EIGHT-ahn"
Buy a Radio Cube 3! Only $150 at Eitan's Shapeways Shop
Check out my video: Twisty Puzzles a la Vi



Last edited by pirsquared on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group