Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Asperger Syndrome
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:21 pm 

Anyone else here have it?

I got off lucky. Almost everyone else in my family is dyslexic. I'm one of the few geniuses in my family.

Social problems? Absolutely. I get beat up at school every time I WALK DOWN THE HALLWAY.

Anyone else have any issues with it?

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

Post subject: Re: Asperger Syndrome
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 am 

I probably have either it or autism.

Though I am dyslexic as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am 

damo676767 wrote:

Just from what you typed here, I absolutely doubt that you have autism. Autistic people don't really have a grasp on the world around them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:52 pm 

My nephew was diagnosed with it. He changed his diet recently and is now much more socially normal. I have a theory that in some people, it could be a lack of nutrients causing the behavior. I have little evidence other than my nephew though.

-d

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 am 

I'm Aspergers. I'm okay with this though :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:26 pm 

Debated making this thread a couple of times now. I figured it would fill up fast. :P
I was diagnosed in Kindergarten, so I've known for a while. It doesn't have a huge effect on my social life, but definitely has effected me athletically (negative) and mentally (positive).

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:16 pm 

I, too, have Aspergers syndrome.

Also, as a little side note, someone I talked to some time ago said that they're considering taking Aspergers off the autism spectrum.

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:36 pm 

Jorbs3210 wrote:
damo676767 wrote:

Just from what you typed here, I absolutely doubt that you have autism. Autistic people don't really have a grasp on the world around them.

There are hugely different levels so you can't really say that. Anyone wanting to take a test - http://aq.server8.org . By the very nature of our interests on this forum I suspect there is a higher level than average here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:36 pm 

How interesting that questions relating to intense focus link to a higher autistic rating. I also find it interesting that there is no middle ground. i.e. if interrupted I find it hard to return to the task. :) depends on the task and the need to get it done right now. Totally unimportant tasks-heck yes. Or mundane things like doing taxes of course, but important stuff that I want to do. Not at all.

Take these online quizzes with a grain of salt. Be wary of 'experts' as well.

When the bug was in kindergarten, her teacher said she was autistic. The school brought in an 'expert' to observe (not test, but observe!) all the kids and she was declared autistic. Well, I'm no expert, but...observation without testing sounded fishy to me. We took her to the uni and paid the money and had the tests run. Turned out she was bored hearing/repeating "a is for apple" when she was already reading English books.

I am sure I have written that somewhere before. Just be wary. Too many people are too eager to label others these days. After the labeling comes the drugs. And why? We all want a quick-easy fix. No one wants to work for anything, or they want things made easy for them. (Oh god I sound old)

I've been here teaching for 18 years now, and I've seen kids go from being kids and acting up as they should to kids taking pills because they were labeled 'autistic' for acting like a kid. Now, they look like and act little zombies.

So you are slightly eccentric, or you don't always like talking to people, or maybe you like your alone time. Well, I have news for you....we all do! It's called being human. Does a label make you any better? Or does it excuse a social faux paux? Only in your mind. And then it becomes an excuse to make excuses.

:lol: :lol: I'm done. And I totally agree with Tony. Playing with these toys isn't exactly a social game now is it? But then it's not just the toys is it? I mean look at what (those of us that work any way) what we do for a career. Highly social most of these are aren't they?

So what do I think of my high rating on these scales? They are numbers like any other aren't they? I hate numbers-so I'll just go ahead and ignore them and continue with my happy little life-back to the books for me, I've another thing to finish before Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:31 pm 

Just took that test Tony linked to, I scored a 32. Supposedly, the average Asperger/HFA person scores 35, and the average adult "normal" male scores 17.

2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Jorbs3210 wrote:
damo676767 wrote:

There are hugely different levels so you can't really say that. Anyone wanting to take a test - http://aq.server8.org . By the very nature of our interests on this forum I suspect there is a higher level than average here.

You're absolutely right. I'm sorry.

I scored a 29 on the test.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:23 pm 

I scored 24... which is high, but some of the questions were kind of hard to answer.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:31 pm 

I scored 36 on the test that I took just out of curiosity.
I don't believe I have any form of autism though.
Like Rox said, I am just human. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:35 pm 

I got 16 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:18 pm 

A disappointingly normal 23 for me :lol: - i'll have to look for something else to blame my obsession on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm 

15 for me. I'm certainly no psychiatrist or doctor, but I'm sure that having obsessions or social awkwardness (or both) does not necessarily make you autistic, even if you are like me and show a little bit of all the symptoms of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:33 pm 

Ha ha ha, some of you love tests don't you???
With my strength being on the right (correct) side of the brain.. The very last thing I'm going to do is push any button that leads to a TEST!!!

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:21 pm 

My expectations: 17
My score: 17

I've got issues, but Autism is certainly not one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:27 pm 

Here's the deal for me. I hate these online tests. They are there to generate fear. As if there weren't enough in the world already. I mean, my number was 46. So I have issues and had best go see a doctor right away. ( Preferably one over at Cambridge U. :roll: ) According to that test, I'm a higher functioning Autistic person. Ok. Lets accept that for a moment shall we?

Now let's go to the definitions of this issue. Inability to communicate verbally, inability to function in social situations, inability to imagine, inability to .... the list goes on. Long term fixation on objects and tasks, dislike of change.....often highly intelligent....

Ok, back to Rox. Anyone who has ever met me can attest to the fact that I never shut up. :lol: Most social situations I deal with appropriately (although SmaZ does not like my feet-but that is more cultural misunderstanding than anything I'm sure-I learned, and won't do it again :lol: )

Fixation on the task at hand. Of course-doesn't every one do that? Dislike of change? Of course, while the thrill of something new is always there, leaving the familiar can be frightening too.

But the one that clearly tells me there is a fault with this test is the bit about high intelligence. Yeah right! That describes Rox doesn't it. :lol: :lol:

As Funmonkey 54 said,
funmonkey54 wrote:
I've got issues, but Autism is certainly not one of them.

Don't let an online test of 50 questions define who you are or what you think of yourself. It is never worth it, and almost never correct.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 pm 

Very interesting thread, and felt something of a compulsion to chime in (an obsessive/compulsion, perhaps?). The first thing to understand, to all those who took the online test, is that all tests carry a degree of sensitivity, and a degree of specificity. A test that is highly sensitive is very good at excluding the diagnosis, but makes no claims at its ability to make the diagnosis. In other words, a highly sensitive test minimizes false negatives, but cares nothing about false positives. These are screening tests only, designed to lead to another more specific test, but not to make a diagnosis. A test that is highly specific is very good at making a diagnosis, but makes no claim at ruling one out. It minimizes false positives, caring nothing about false negatives. Its the type of test to provide the ultimate "gold standard" confirmation of the diagnosis, such as a biopsy. The online test has ok sensitivity, and terrible specificity, which means that a negative test is the only result with meaning to rule out the diagnosis, but a positive test does not make the diagnosis at all and is designed to lead to the pursuit of the more specific tests in a doctors office. So to those who tested "positive," this means very little at this point in making a diagnosis, so please don't lose any sleep over it, as being intelligent, a little hyper focused and hyper vigilant and somewhat socially awkward does not even approach the pathology of autism.
Regarding the "label" of autism versus the "diagnosis," and the notion of whether symptom is a "trait" or a "pathology," to those who are parents of autistic children at most places on the spectrum, there is nothing subtle to them about the diagnosis. A trait is a quirk in someone's personality that ranges from amusing to annoying, might cause mild disruption in certain aspects of life, but doesn't approach the debility and severe limitations in the quality of life and achievement potential of a pathology. I think Garrett and Katsmom is right on the mark by bearing this difference out, and if what you have is a character defining quirk and not a morbid pathology, it need not be defined as such. Bear in mind that autism is a "syndrome," and not a disease, which means we know little about its pathophysiology, but much about its symptoms. It is very gratifying to read such insightful posts, and I'm just glad no one mentioned Jenny Mcarthy's name :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:33 pm 

I scored a 34. It is good to know that I am in a company of like-minded, socially impaired individuals! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:28 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Jorbs3210 wrote:
damo676767 wrote:

36, with a few accidental clicks, my real score is probably 2-3 higher. Witch is above what most people with high functioning autism have.

I do not know which condition I have, but it does not really matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:30 am 

I got a 29. :D :) 8-) :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am 

katsmom wrote:

When the bug was in kindergarten, her teacher said she was autistic. The school brought in an 'expert' to observe (not test, but observe!) all the kids and she was declared autistic. Well, I'm no expert, but...observation without testing sounded fishy to me. We took her to the uni and paid the money and had the tests run. Turned out she was bored hearing/repeating "a is for apple" when she was already reading English books.

I am sure I have written that somewhere before. Just be wary. Too many people are too eager to label others these days. After the labeling comes the drugs. And why? We all want a quick-easy fix. No one wants to work for anything, or they want things made easy for them. (Oh god I sound old)

It's sad, but part of it has to do with some schools get extra funding for kids with these sorts of disabilities. So of course they want to diagnose as many as possible.
But yeah, if you're bored to death in school, you aren't going to act in line with the other students.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 pm 

Am I the only person who got under 10? (8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 pm 

I scored a 27, so basically right near the middle.

My cousin, who is in his mid-twenties, was recently diagnosed as having Aspergers. It came as a shock to me, for when I had seen him last he exhibited no signs. However, college didn't treat him well and he exhibited the characteristics much more. Good news is that he has undergone treatment through a group "camp" for those who discover they have Aspergers late in their life and he is doing much better.

It is very difficult to base anything off of these online tests, take them with a grain of salt.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:25 pm 

My problem with these tests is it is so easy to tell which answer gives the high score and which gives the low score. When you know one answer is "correct" it's hard to pick another. I scored 3...

Now if I'm observed the same thing would happen, just a slightly higher score. To me the best test would be secret cameras and microphones implanted in a persons town for 6 years observing every act and giving a score based on all actions relative to eachother. To help with the study under cover docters would fill the subjects life in positions such as friends, teachers, co-workers, step parents, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:47 pm 

that would be kinda immoral... The whole undercover doctor thing anyway.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 pm 

Ya, six years of undercover testing and spying on someone's life is a little much to find out if they have something like this. It's not like it's a life threatening disease, it's just a social awkwardness and a different approach to the world. You don't need a six year spy cam to find out if someone meets the criteria. Also, no one is going to want to wait 6 years to find out if they have something like this, when you can go in and get tested for like an hour or two.

2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 am 

It seems to me that "Asperger's Syndrome" is just a derogatory medical label for the classic (and very normal) INTP personality type. Actually, what IS the difference between Asperger's Syndrome and the INTP persolality type? In fact Einstein was an INTP, so why label him as having some kind of abnormal disease or personality disorder? Unfortunately many doctors don't think outside the box and consider every form of uniqueness as abnormal, but we're all unique and "abnormal" in some way: abnormality IS the norm! :)

BTW, I'm an ENTP which has its own, slightly different set of traits that might be labelled as some other personality disorder or "syndrome" ... :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
My problem with these tests is it is so easy to tell which answer gives the high score and which gives the low score. When you know one answer is "correct" it's hard to pick another. I scored 3...

Now if I'm observed the same thing would happen, just a slightly higher score. To me the best test would be secret cameras and microphones implanted in a persons town for 6 years observing every act and giving a score based on all actions relative to eachother. To help with the study under cover docters would fill the subjects life in positions such as friends, teachers, co-workers, step parents, etc.

D: I watched the truman show again on the 4th, and now I want to watch it again.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:17 pm 

I scored 35.
I originally took the test when a couple of close friends suggested it to me since they obviously thought I had certain 'traits'. In my case I believe it is fairly accurate and not unexpected.
I do tend to agree with Kelvin though. If some of the traits actually make you 'better' at some things than the norm then it can hardly be considered all bad. I just consider my 'abnormalities' as part of man's evolutionary process to becoming higher beings.
Rox, I don't know you that well but I would have thought your score would have been really low. You seem to have a very busy life mixing with lots of people and I suspect your score merely reflects a feeling of "I wish I just had a minute to myself sometimes". I also believe sometimes you have a very low opinion of yourself and capabilities. Sorry if I am speaking out of turn.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm 

I couldn't agree more Tony (and Kelvin too) those 'negative traits' of mine (intense concentration, telling you what I think :D ) all make me a better person. And yes, I know I'm busy and constantly on the go. That is why I repeatedly say take these things lightly.

There was a question about social situations and awkwardness (or nervousness) now I have to answer that one as always reflects me (or what ever it said) because it is true. For about 1/2 an hour then I start to bounce like my normal self. Therefore my earlier comment was made about fence sitting. :D or disclaimer ability when taking these types of tests. Not good online....for verification you need an expert of preferably the human form.

A story of IPP. I was talking with a man and he told me he would introduce me to a 'true genius'. He did, and that genius told me he would introduce me to a genius. and that one did the same....by the end of the first day, I met 5 or 6 of these genius' In company like that....who wouldn't have a lower opinion of themselves. :lol: not speaking out of turn my friend. Just stating the obvious. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 pm 

I've been on a few of these "team building" weekends where you take a test to see what sort of team person you are. I always come out the same: not a team person; obsessive attention to detail; does not suffer fools gladly; once I start something I must finish it; proud of my knowledge. I consider these things as advantages in my job as an Electronic Engineer.

I took the Asperger test as quickly as possible, clicking on the answers without thinking too much, and I got 36. What does this mean? I have no idea. Am I bothered? Not at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:04 pm 

Gus wrote:
I've been on a few of these "team building" weekends where you take a test to see what sort of team person you are. I always come out the same: not a team person; obsessive attention to detail; does not suffer fools gladly; once I start something I must finish it; proud of my knowledge. I consider these things as advantages in my job as an Electronic Engineer.

Ha ha, don't talk to me about team building. I went to one of those things and we were asked stand in the room in the position we felt represented our position in the company. Everyone was shuffling around the boss whereas I went and sat in the corner on my own. We all had to explain our reasons. I said that I wasn't part of any team and simply went to work for the money and went home again. There's no "I" in team but there's an "m" and an "e" and that spells Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!" As an archaeologist my bosses are a bit hippy so the reaction wasn't too bad. They kind of tolerate me (for now). Later a few others said they felt the same but never had the nerve to say anything. That was ÂŁ3000 of company money down the drain for that day.
Sorry for getting off topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:18 pm 

For what its worth, I got a 25 on the Asperger's Quiz. On a related note, my IQ is estimated at the 98th percentile while my EQ is estimated at the 15th percentile. While there are some similarities in the two, I am sure there is a fine, if fuzzy, line separating normal High-IQ/Low-EQ individuals from true Aspergers.

Also, I was diagnosed with and drugged for AD(H)D as a child, and my high school's psychologist thought I showed signs of Adult ADD. My self-diagnosis? Like any normal person, I find it insufferable to pay attention when the material is either so advanced as to be incomprehensible or so elementary as to be mind-numbing.

I will not outright deny the existence of mental disorders, but I feel that since the birth of modern psychology, there has been a tendency to over-diagnose certain conditions, mistaking behaviors on the extremes of normality for truly dysfunctional behavior.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:46 pm 

I got 36, but they were 2 question that I was not sure the meaning. And if I have it, I alreadt knowed that in a sence... The pshycologist at school wanted me to passe a test for that last year, but we didn't got the time.

And a lot of people that have interrese in puzzles, may have a form. Cause one of the symptom if you can call that a symptom of the autism and the asperger syndrom is an sort of highter form of interlligent, normaly in math, english/french/other languages.

But since im am young i they have found couple of problem on me, (my mom wanted to return me to the factory :| ). But no one is perfect, or maybe they were one but they killed him :| . But like i was saying it's not evryone that will have interest in puzzle. So their is a big chance that a part of the people that post in the forum have a form of authism even if it's very low.

In a other sence im not normal lol :mrgreen: . My way of thinking can surpasse people of like 3-4 time my age.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm 

32! That explains a lot of things... School, social situations... :shock:

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm 

Drake wrote:
My way of thinking can surpasse people of like 3-4 time my age.

Me too, but that's because they're all dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:29 pm 

Drake wrote:

But maybe not your spelling... :lol:

Tony Fisher wrote:
Drake wrote:

Me too, but that's because they're all dead.

Thanks for my new signature

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 pm 

I haven't taken the online test, but I have had two unrelated professionals tell me something along the lines of, "Well it's not actually an official diagnosis, but based on what you've told me I feel comfortable saying you have Asperger's."

Definitely not something I see as a problem, it's part of who I am that I would not change if I could.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 am 

I have severe ADHD coupled with high intelligence. Great in math, comprehension, not so good. I'm 30 years old now and had it all my life. Never really goes away. I'm still struggling to finish college (Electrical Engineering Technology - 11 hours left). Distractions everywhere I look. Can't seem to disipline myself enough to get schoolwork done. And if it weren't for my Rx meds, I wouldn't even be able to carry on an intelligible conversation with someone.

The good news is that once you finish High School, the bullying and hazing is mostly over. At least that was my experience. A lot has changed since 1999 though.

I've also had a number of close friends over the years who were ADHD and/or dyslexic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
I haven't been officially diagnosed with any of this although I may be borderline autistic. And now I will leave this thread before the inevitable person says "But autism is binary! You have it or you don't!". That happens in pretty much every online autism discussion I've ever been in

Oh, and my IQ's been tested at 153. You can assume I'm lying if you want :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:49 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
I haven't been officially diagnosed with any of this although I may be borderline autistic. And now I will leave this thread before the inevitable person says "But autism is binary! You have it or you don't!".

Given that the thread title is Asperger Syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum, I don't think many people here are going to be thinking that autism is binary. If autism were binary Asperger's would not exist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:50 pm 

chris the cynic wrote:
GoombaGeek wrote:
I haven't been officially diagnosed with any of this although I may be borderline autistic. And now I will leave this thread before the inevitable person says "But autism is binary! You have it or you don't!".

Given that the thread title is Asperger Syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum, I don't think many people here are going to be thinking that autism is binary. If autism were binary Asperger's would not exist.

I agree, but for a different reason. If autism were binary, it would be 01000001 01110101 01110100 01101001 01110011 01101101 :lol:

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
I have severe ADHD coupled with high intelligence. Great in math, comprehension, not so good.
stardust4ever wrote:
Can't seem to disipline myself enough to get schoolwork done. And if it weren't for my Rx meds, I wouldn't even be able to carry on an intelligible conversation with someone.

The thing about ADHD is motivation. The medications increase dopamine, which is the reward/reinforcement/pleasure hormone in the brain. Its what drives us, compels us, motivates and rewards us for completing a task. Solving puzzles plays directly into this, which is why you find it hard to focus on completing school work, but have no problems spending hours on twisty puzzles. Perhaps you can use that phenomenon to enhance your task completion, in addition to medications...
GoombaGeek wrote:
I haven't been officially diagnosed with any of this although I may be borderline autistic.

As a father of a moderate functioning autistic son, I find it very heartening to see the trait touted as a benefit and can only hope he develops the talents and capacities of the people I have seen on this thread. The world has room for all types and perspectives, and no, its not binary, but a spectrum that has the capacity to, in its own way, adapt, learn, and contribute something unique and enriching to the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 pm 

Thing is, I did a battery of tests when I first entered college. Please bear in mind this was 1999, so a lot has changed since then. Among other things, it showed severely skewed test results, which is often symptomatic of an undiagnosed learning disability. My top score was 154, which was analytical reasoning/pattern recognition (that explains my interest in puzzles). My lowest score, verbal reasoning, was 90. It has nothing to do with vocabulary, but with communication and association. The state-mandated standardised tests use a percentile system, and only compare your scores to the national average. 50% is the norm. So while I was scoring 99.9% in some areas, I had 20-30% in others. It was only when those scores were normalized to my actual intelligence that my deficiencies made sense. Because none of my test scores were below the 15 percentile, I was never classified as deficient.

At various times in my life, I've exhibited mild Asbergers symptoms, but I believe much of that can be attributed to external circumstances: I was an only child and had no siblings to interact with, and throughout my childhood, I was excluded from and/or bullied by other kids, so I never learned how to interact socially. It was only through years of intense psychotherapy at various institutions and boarding schools as a teenager, as well as lots of prayer, that I re-learned how to interact properly with a group of peers and become a funtional member of society.

In the past, I've been labeled just about everything: Autistic, Antisocial, Bi-Polar, Emotionally Disturbed, Oppositional-defiant, Psychotic, etc... but the one thing I've been formally diagnosed with from a young age, and stuck with me to adulthood, is ADHD.

WOW... I've never divulged that much information to strangers before, much less online! :shock:

So if you think you've had it bad in life, always remember you're not alone ;)

Last edited by stardust4ever on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
Thing is, I did a battery of tests when I first entered college. Please bear in mind this was 1999, so a lot has changed since then. Among other things, it showed severely skewed test results, which is often symptomatic of an undiagnosed learning disability. My top score was 154, which was analytical reasoning/pattern recognition (that explains my interest in puzzles). My lowest score, verbal reasoning, was 90. It has nothing to do with vocabulary, but with communication and association.

This reminds me of something I took last year (7th grade) It was a test to find out our "learning styles." There were things like verbal, logical, visual, physical, ect. I scored highly on all of the "nerdy" ones and low on the physical one (or maybe it was considered kinetic...) It went it my ELA notebook, however I burned all of my notebooks :lol:

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 pm 

That's the facinating thing about the human brain; it's incredible ability to change itself physically with training and repitition. It's the only organ that can do it to that extent. That's why you were able to retrain yourself socially. Although you will never quite completely irradicate the echoes from past experiences from playing into present traits, don't underestimate the minds ability to redirect your focus away from such impulses and add cognitive layers that redefine your reactions to both social and academic endeavors. We are, in many ways, tourists in our own minds, as much a mystery to ourselves as as we are to others. A twisty puzzle of white and gray matter that no psychiatrist, scientist, or even time lord has yet solved :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
That's the facinating thing about the human brain; it's incredible ability to change itself physically with training and repitition. It's the only organ that can do it to that extent. That's why you were able to retrain yourself socially. Although you will never quite completely irradicate the echoes from past experiences from playing into present traits, don't underestimate the minds ability to redirect your focus away from such impulses and add cognitive layers that redefine your reactions to both social and academic endeavors. We are, in many ways, tourists in our own minds, as much a mystery to ourselves as as we are to others. A twisty puzzle of white and gray matter that no psychiatrist, scientist, or even time lord has yet solved :wink:

I think I understood most of half of that. :lol: Also who exactly were you replying to?

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter