Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Truly Evil Internet Connection
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 pm 

My internet connection is being purely evil. It's a puzzle of itself to find what on earth is going on and knowing computers it'll be another puzzle to fix it. I'm stumped and so are a good number of tech-savvy people I talked to about the problem. Here is the problem:

-This is a NETWORK problem. Every computer on the network, including windows, mac, and iPods has the exact same issues. All browsers cause the same problem.

-All sites do NOT work. Except Google. I can connect just find to Google, including Gmail and Google Search functions. No other search site or email provider. But if Google works just fine it must not be [strictly] a DNS problem.

-Non-browser applications work. I actually was asking a friend over Skype how to fix the problem, and we did a screen-share, so this connection seems to work. I can also operate the app Chess With Friends and can browse the app store from my iPod.

-I opened Command Prompt, typed ipconfig to find my ip4v address and entered this into the URL box but it failed to connect! There is no conflict with identical IP addresses, I can verify.

-Someone else linked his own IP address to me and we connected just fine! I was able to open a page I otherwise could not access using this method. I don't see how this works if I can't even use my own IP address.

-I rebooted the router and the modem and that did not make a difference. Diagnostics never (and hardly ever, really) did anything.

-Every once and awhile there are times when it connects and works fine for a few minutes then stops working. This is one of those instances.

-Qwest web provider.