Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Writers, I need your help!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:57 pm 

To all the writers on the forum (for even if they're few and far between, simply their continued presence on the forum suggests at their intellect), I'm having trouble writing.

This trouble comes not from the creation of the idea, but nests itself in the act of recording and manifesting the idea into a story.

Mind you, I can write. I can put words on paper, and I can throw them together in sentences. But while the image of the idea lingers fresh in my mind, I lack the ability to impartially enjoy my book. That is to say, reading it as one who has not known the book, it makes no sense.

And regardless, rereading what I have written myself, I find a certain lack of coherency in what I say; my writing simply links back to what I have thought.

The second problem for me is, quite simply put, I do not write. I thoroughly enjoy the process of writing, but looking over it, I have a barely suppressible urge to vomit over the printed copy, then burn it at my worst enemy's porch. I refrain; it would be unsightly of me. So my abhorrence for my own writing remains.

And so, I have thoroughly expunged myself of the ability to write and enjoy because what I write looks as what a goldfish would say given it could speak. It's not that I've lost the will to write. What I've lost is the ability to get myself to write, but it isn't writers' block, either. I have ideas all the time, but no means I enjoy of setting it down on paper.

So my problem is twofold: First, my writing is terrible, though I expect it to improve with practice, which leads my to my second problem: I have lost the desire to type out what I think.

Advice is what I seek, if that is at all possible given the situation. And if this body of text appears rather garbled, or does not follow, I suppose that is my current nature as a novice.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Post subject: Re: Writers, I need your help!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:42 pm 

This has happened to me a LOT of times. I tried NaNoWriMo last year, and I gave up like 2 days in because I just couldn't stand my own writing. I also ran out of ideas pretty quickly, with this super elaborate beginning and ending, but absolutely nothing for the main body of text. This is why I prefer writing short stories, which I quite like. I write mostly comedy, too, unless it's poetry. I should post some here sometime...

Anyway, back to the original request - advice. There's a number of routes you could take, but honestly I think it would be best to work your way up to writing a longer piece. Start off small, writing short stories, where you can put in copious amounts of time into making every sentence, every word sound as perfect as possible. Then, when you go to write more lengthy pieces, you'll be writing much more naturally.

(Also, try to stay away from ridiculous adjectives and descriptions. No one gives a damn about a twig that you passed on the ground, so don't spend 3 paragraphs describing it. I see a lot of budding authors do this, and it drives me up a wall.)

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:44 pm 

Firstly, although i once entertained hopes of it, I'm not a writer myself so the advice i offer does not come from a very experienced vantage point....but sometimes a fresh way of looking at something...

It sounds like to me like you are having trouble getting what you think and what you write to be of a similar standard....my advice is to try recording what you think and then listen back over it so that you can see if you can get it clearer in your mind what you really want/need to say. Try listening to some audio books to get into the rhythm of books. Usually the only way books are accessed is through reading, give listening to some a go it may just break you out of your funk.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:00 pm 

I myself could barely grab the patience to write up until about 2 years ago. Even then alot of the serious stuff i have now is recent.

My advice to you is, whenever something funny happens to you or a friend, or even a funny idea, or even just a good idea altogether, just write it down. Then, once you've collected enough ideas, pool them together into a book. Make it something epic, like an apocalypse book or something. Something with heart.

Good luck! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:51 pm 

Luc Reid's free eBook The Writing Engine did a great job of explaining how writing is done. He focuses on both creative writing and for business writing. It helped me a ton.

I also tried the NaNoWriMo 2010, and I completed with 50,002 words, thus winning. It was definitely not easy. The challenge was to write, forcing yourself to write regardless if the words make you cringe from their horribleness. I could barely reread mine without puking (just ask MindStormsCreator how it was). But with a redraft last January, I made it readable and I'm now doing the WriYe, the year-long NaNoWriMo. In one NaNoWriMo talk Lemony Snikket claims to print out the whole draft, mark it up page by page by hand, then apply the changes and repeat over and over until you like it.

Also, you have to see whether you write better with a leading idea and no planning, or if you need to plan your work to keep on task. This tends to vary from person to person. I personally plan my ideas using Prezi, simply because of how amazing it is.

Kapusta is right. Work your way up. You can't write an epic if you don't like what you write. You can find plentiful creative writing prompts with a simply Google search. One exercise I've found is, if you stumble upon some random picture, write about the events that led up to that moment, making the events as crazy as you can think of. Flickr has a random picture search function.

Kapusta is also wrong on one point. Details are very important. You can't write about a hike through the mountains if you've never left the plains your whole life, regardless of the movies or books you may be informed by, and the reason is detail. The difference between an amazing description of the setting (a requirement in every setting if you want it readable) and a dull, tempting to skip picture of the setting is the way the ants trail one behind the other in a two way highway that's barely noticed, if ever, to the characters versus "there were many trees on this path".

Having someone else read your writing is the best way to analyze how it's going. You may not like your writing, like Fitzgerald and his Great Gatsby, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. That being said, take any advice with a grain of salt (rather, a handful). It's all opinionated how good writing is, and you'll likely not make it big in one book (Twilight and To Kill a Mockingbird are very rare instances). In order to like your writing, you probably think it's not advanced enough, right? Well, a great way to advance your writing is to redraft. Take the longest work you've made, then rewrite the first sentence to not have any linking verbs (forms of the words "be", "have", or other generic verbs that don't explain action). Roll a die, then skip ahead that many sentences, and rewrite that one in the same format. Repeat until you've reached the end, then reread the work. It's magical, trust me. If it's nonfiction, go ahead and rewrite every single sentence in that format.

Most importantly, writing sucks. Nothing can change that.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:54 pm 

I myself could barely grab the patience to write up until about 2 years ago. Even then alot of the serious stuff i have now is recent.

My advice to you is, whenever something funny happens to you or a friend, or even a funny idea, or even just a good idea altogether, just write it down. Then, once you've collected enough ideas, pool them together into a book. Make it something epic, like an apocalypse book or something. Something with heart.

Good luck! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:09 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
Kapusta is also wrong on one point. Details are very important. You can't write about a hike through the mountains if you've never left the plains your whole life, regardless of the movies or books you may be informed by, and the reason is detail. The difference between an amazing description of the setting (a requirement in every setting if you want it readable) and a dull, tempting to skip picture of the setting is the way the ants trail one behind the other in a two way highway that's barely noticed, if ever, to the characters versus "there were many trees on this path".

Sorry if this was misunderstood, I was trying to say don't overdo it. A lot of novice writers seem to try and overly describe everything.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:26 am 

Thank you all for your assistance! Now I have some sort of definite footing as to where to start.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:12 am 

Thankx for the pdf rentlix. :D