Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shameless self promotion
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:44 pm 

I hate myself for posting this, but am going to anyway.

I am an amazing woman! That's right, amazing!

Why I hear you ask? Well, I've managed to do a couple of things that I'm just downright proud of this month....

1) I got myself a grant from my uni to do a longitudinal study of a group of 97 students over the next 4 years. Not a big deal I hear you say because, like you I'm sure Dr. Panda and many more have managed the same thing. Besides it being mine :) It is a big deal because I don't have the funny hat. I managed this one on my own merit-not what or who (as in Ph.D.) I am but rather on the usefulness of the project.

2) I am a co-investigator on a government funded project that is studying the feasibility of computer marking of written work. Again, no big deal right? Well, again it is to me for the same reason, and because of the people I'll be working with.

3) I worked out how to run my Excel program all by my little self! The help you guys gave here didn't really help :lol: But I thank you for it anyway. I managed.

4) I bought one of those clicker things for my presentations. The Man told me I wouldn't find one, and if I managed I would pay around US$80 for it. HA! I got one yesterday for around US$30! Double happy there.

But most importantly I am super proud of this one:

5) I HAVE QUIT SMOKING! Yep, that's right, after 25 years (the last bit of it being over a pack a day, I quit! I quit! I quit! (7 weeks now)
That has got to be the hardest thing I have ever done and I am so glad I did it. No, I'm not harping at anyone to quit, or even try. But it really does make a difference. Me? As odd as this is, I can breath a bit easier when doing exercise, but my chest hurts a lot more now where it didn't before. The Dr. has told me this will eventually go away. But more importantly, the bug's scratchy throat, which we chalked up to too much sugar (Dr.s included-she's a junk-food addict like her mom) had also disappeared. Yes, Matt still smokes, but because he knew I wanted to quit, doesn't do it in the house any more.

So there ya go. A bit of shameless self promotion....my job? I'm loving it! I'm learning how to use software through trial and error, and I've learned how to buy computer bits in another language :shock: And the fags have been tossed away! It's been a great month.

Post subject: Re: Shameless self promotion
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:57 pm 

Congrats on your achievements!

Quote:
I am a co-investigator on a government funded project that is studying the feasibility of computer marking of written work. Again, no big deal right?

I'd say a couple of bazillion teachers around the world might disagree!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:27 pm 

katsmom wrote:
1) I got myself a grant from my uni to do a longitudinal study of a group of 97 students over the next 4 years. Not a big deal I hear you say because, like you I'm sure Dr. Panda and many more have managed the same thing. Besides it being mine :) It is a big deal because I don't have the funny hat. I managed this one on my own merit-not what or who (as in Ph.D.) I am but rather on the usefulness of the project.

Hey! When I lectured those 300 students for the first time at the amphitheater,
I was still a student and an emergency replacement for my supervisor who had
suffered a heart attack. And when my students voted me as the best engineering
lecturer in Western Australia for that year, they never took this unit away from me. ;)
(and today this unit is reaching 700 students!!! - MADNESS!)

It is excellent to get funding, especially as nothing is based on luck, but on hard work
and persistence.

Regarding the smoking part, indeed, well done! Not easy, but crucial for your life.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:29 pm 

Many people get this excited over doing something that isn't all too terribly interesting, useful, or is really an accomplishment.

I can safely say you're not one of them.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 pm 

congrats katsmom!

smoking is a tough habit to break.

-Del

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 pm 

Alas, those who know you have seen you suffer for the past few months, and now you finally get some recognition and a feeling that it was all worth it. Congratulations (and we are sill here to help :wink: )!

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm 

katsmom wrote:
And the fags have been tossed away!

Can I use that in a different thread?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:18 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: Who's to say I wasn't quitting two bad habits? :lol: :lol:

OH No I didn't just type that! :shock: :lol:

And thanks quicksolver. Here's hoping all those allergic reactions and bruises, and psychotic thoughts never have to be gone through again. I know 7 week isn't all that long, but I'm fairly certain it will last a little while longer. I've made it this long and am determined to last a bit longer....add to that the smell of the things has me with my head in the nearest bucket, and I'm half confident I won't be going back to those devil sticks any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 pm 

I've recently been reading a book on influence and social psychology, and it turns out that just by telling people things, you're more likely to achieve them, to maintain an appearance of consistency. Congratulations on everything you've gotten done! It's great for the bug that you've stopped smoking, and there won't be any smoking in the house!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."