Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pet Peeve
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 pm 

Looking at the last few deluxe cubes posted on ebay I get irritated at bidders who nibble.
I wish 2***a and e***4 and others would at least notice that the way they bid only drives up prices.
They and others recently bid a deluxe up to $125.
As an example of better bidding (well there was only one nibbler!) there was a deluxe cube offered that they missed that went for less than $35.

Learn to bid people!

Thank you for reading my rant.

You may now return to your scheduled browsing.

David J

Post subject: Re: Pet Peeve
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 pm 

lol! ebay can be frustrating can't it?

Remember though "nibblers" can only exist if there is something for them to nibble on.

What people should realise is that it doesn't matter if you are winning the auction with three days to go...it only matters who is winning when the auction ends!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:34 pm 

David J.,

In all fairness, the one that sold for $35 didn't advertise Deluxe Edition in the title!

My bids are usually all snipes, but I do place "token" bids very early in the auction, usually to keep the seller from changing the auction or accepting a buy-it-now. I am also guilty of "nibbling" at times even though I share the same feelings towards nibbling. Usually when I nibble it's to mess with those who are nibbling and drive up the prices on them. I know I'll gain a few haters for that :D

I have also noticed that there is a lot more "nibblers" in puzzle/toy auctions than other categories I follow!

Ben

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

Last edited by Ben on Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm 

When I saw this post I thought it was going to be about people's pet peeves...Boy was I wrong.

In other news...my pet peeves:

-Tardiness (I am usually upwards of 30 minutes early to everything)
-People not parking inside the lines. Seriously...how hard is it to park within lines. If you see that you're not in the lines when you open your door, turn the car back on and redo it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 pm 

Ben wrote:
Usually when I nibble it's to mess with those who are nibbling and drive up the prices on them. I know I'll gain a few haters for that :D

I've been guilty of that myself on a few occassions :oops:
But i look on it more as an attempt to educate them - they don't seem to learn though :lol:

malevolant wrote:

When I saw this post I thought it was going to be about people's pet peeves...Boy was I wrong.

No it is about pet peeves...we are just peeved by people that don't know how to use ebay "correctly"

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 pm 

malevolant wrote:

In other news...my pet peeves:

-Tardiness (I am usually upwards of 30 minutes early to everything)
-People not parking inside the lines. Seriously...how hard is it to park within lines. If you see that you're not in the lines when you open your door, turn the car back on and redo it.

Yeah, I agree with you about people not parking within the lines. Especially trucks, hey, if someone's going to ride around in something that can haul 100 times what they actually haul around then at the very least they should learn to park it!

DJ

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:01 am 

I was trying to think of what my top five pet peeves are the other day, I'll try to list them here if I can remember them all.
1) When seatbelts in cars have a twist in them that can't be undone.
2) Cardboard (I cannot stand the feel or the "sound" of cardboard).
3) Wet shoelaces.
4) Dull pocket knives (or knives in general).
5) Impatience.

I was thinking of them in the car the other day (when pet peeve number one was broken :evil:), and thought this would be an appropriate place to list them. I look forward to seeing others!

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 am 

There's a pet peeves thread around somewhere, if someone wants to search for it.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:37 pm 

theVDude wrote:
There's a pet peeves thread around somewhere, if someone wants to search for it.

There is one, but it says "Cubing pet peeves." I'm not sure if this is considered a duplicate or not.

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:40 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
malevolant wrote:

please excuse the somewhat off-topic post, but I'm sure anything with xkcd can be forgiven...
need I say much more? :lol:

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am 

I hate it when people park off like that, and then I pull in slightly crooked (but less crooked) and then they end up pulling out, and I look like a jerk.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:43 am 

Once I got severely annoyed that somebody encroached their huge pickup truck into the only available parking space, and I was by myself (no passengers). Because they were encroaching into the passenger side of my parking space, I pulled up as closely as possible to the driver's side of their vehicle, leaving barely a couple inches for the side-view mirrors, which would have made it virtually impossible for anyone to fit between the vehicles, much less access their driver-side door. Best part of it my vehicle was completely strait and legally parked between the lines, so they had nothing to legitimately complain about! :twisted: