Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help with uploading pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm 

Hello, I have a new topic that I want to upload, but in order for it to make sense I need to add certain pictures that I've taken with my camera. I have saved the text in a draft, and to upload the pics, I try going to browse, I click the picture, and then it takes forever trying to upload, only to cause the page to crash and the picture not to upload.

I have read that this can be due to the file size being too large. However, I am not technologically-savvy at all, and have no clue if this is the case or not. How would I change the file size of the pictures to try to upload them again? Or am I doing something else wrong?

I took the pics with a digital Canon PowerShot, uploaded them to my computer, where they are in a standard picture folder, if that helps. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

Post subject: Re: Help with uploading pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:43 pm 

(If you need help with a particular step, let me know.)

1) Open microsoft paint
2) Within Paint, open the image you wish to resize
3) Ctrl+W will open the stretch/skew dialog box. Set both horizontal and vertical stretch to 50% (this should do nicely, but on the off chance it doesn't, try 25%) and leave the skew set to 0.
4) Click OK
5) Save the picture wherever you want
6) Upload the new picture to the forum

There should be a visibly significant size change in the file (you can see the size by scrolling over the file). My estimates, based on the camera you're using, are that the 2.3MB image you take will be condensed to around 270KB.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Post subject: Re: Help with uploading pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:16 pm 

Thanks very much, it worked like a charm!

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.