Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Circuit Schematic Help Needed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 pm 

Hello Everybody,
I am currently building a type of CNC machine, however I can't read the schematics that automate the machine. I plan on using this to cut my plastic/stickers for me so I figure this is an appropriate place for it. If you can help me decifer this, please post! I will be posting finished pictures when it is up and running, along with a video.

Attachment:
Stepper Motor Schematic.jpg
Stepper Motor Schematic.jpg [ 101.67 KiB | Viewed 1110 times ]

Instructable Here!

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

Post subject: Re: Circuit Schematic Help Needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:08 pm 

Do you have any of the parts yet? Particularly the stepper motor? This is a very basic motor controller, and will only work with the exact type of motor listed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:37 am 

Some, I have 3 dc motors (2 wires) and 2 4-wire stepping motors (bipolar?). For a third, would it be better to buy a new one online or to go to a GoodWill and buy a $5-10 printer/scanner?
Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 am 

That's sort of the issue, this controller definitely will not work with bipolar steppers, which 4 wire steppers definitely are. This controller is so simple because it relies on the 'wave drive' mode of operation that is only possible with unipolar steppers, which have at least 5 wires, but is the least efficient mode while providing the least power. A driver suitable for bipolar steppers doesn't need to be much more complex, although my first choice wouldn't be to use 70s era 4000 series cmos chips to avoid a voltage regulator.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:49 pm 

HeavyTanHat wrote:
A driver suitable for bipolar steppers doesn't need to be much more complex, although my first choice wouldn't be to use 70s era 4000 series cmos chips to avoid a voltage regulator.

Thanks for your prompt replies. Would you mind creating a similar circuit that will work with my bipolar motors?
Thanks for your time,
Tanner Frisby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:52 pm 

Do you have any idea what the ratings of the motors you have are? Hopefully there's a sticker somewhere that lists the maximum safe voltage and current. I don't know about your budget, but if it were me I'd probably be looking at one of the many stepper motor controllers that can be found fairly cheaply online, such as this one from SparkFun. I can certainly take a shot at a similar controller to the one in the instructable, but I don't have any parts to test it so no guarantees...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm 

I very much appreciate all of the help you are giving me. One option is to purchase unipolar stepping motors. This would mean continuing based on the instructable. Another option is to buy the premade controllers (this one would be cheaper for me after shipping).
As for my motors, they are
"stepping mtor M42SP-5A
Mitsumi
7.5deg step 5 (horshoe looking simbol, I think this is an ohm)
Lot No.T Q0726-"

and

"Stepping Motor M4SP-6TA
Mitsumi
10 (horshue loogking simbol, I think this is an ohm)
Lot No.T C0619"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 am 

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, last week my wife decided we needed every thing for the baby RIGHT NOW! and mentioning that she wouldn't actually be born until April was not the correct choice...

It appears that one of those motors runs on 12 volts and the other on 24 volts. I don't think that's an absolute deal breaker, but it would certainly be easier if they matched. They are also low precision motors, with around 50 steps per turn versus 200 steps per turn for a high precision motor. Depending on your budget I think the best way to go would be to buy some new motors and then decide if you want to spend more but expend less effort by buying some motor controllers, or save the money and build them yourself. I don't know what your level of experience with electronics is, but I've been looking at parts to update the motor driver in the instructable to work with bipoloar motors and use parts from this century. Let me know if you're interested in building your own or would rather go with pre-built controllers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 am 

Hello,
I am trying to use the stepper motors that I have because I was given a printer by my school to salvage for parts. They only asked that I would show them what I made when I finished. I have had a delayed reply as I have been waiting to figure out what software I would be using. I think I would rather control it by hand then by computer. Would you be able to create a circuit that would let me to "press a button" or series of buttons that would allow me to step in either direction? Maybe a switch for direction (on for cc, off for ccw) and then a button for 1 step, and a button for 5 steps. I Don,t know how practical this idea is.
Tanner Frisby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 pm 

You could certainly use manual controls rather than a computer to control a stepper driver circuit for forward / reverse and step. I'm sure there's a fairly simple way to get multiple steps from a basic digital circuit as well, but I'd probably go with a small microcontroller for anything more complex than single steps.

As far as using the motors you've got, do you want to use both together, or make two separate controllers? If you want both to run from one circuit I wonder if the one I think is 24 volt a) really is and b) would still work from 12 volts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 am 

I don't mind how many circuits are required, but I would like all of the controllers to be on the same board. ie like a keyboard arrows for 2d and 2 extra arrows for z-axis.
Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 am 

How are you going to control the Z axis? Solenoid?

It will certainly be possible to have everything run from one control panel, the only challenge is going to be powering everything at different voltages. That is if I'm right about the motors, it seems unlikely that a printer would have two motors in it with one needing twice the voltage as the other, but anything's possible I guess. How much equipment do you have / have access to? If you've got a meter and adjustable power supply I'd say start testing them with 12 volts and low current, maybe 100 miliamps and see if you can get them to hold position.

Do you have an familiarity with microcontrollers, or any desire to learn? You could definitely do some cool stuff much easier with a µC than building the circuit from scratch. A status display of some sort and the ability to program and repeat sequences of moves spring to mind. That could of course be phase 2; you could start with a manual circuit, then eventually replace the manual controls with a µC once you've got the power supply and switching worked out.

I dunno if you ever get on the chat, but I'd be happy to discuss further in real-time. :)

Eddie