Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How stupid do email conmen think we really are?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 pm 

I seem to have found myself on a spam list. The emails I am getting are truly unbelievable.

TRANSACTIONAL PROPOSAL

Dear Friend,

I am sorry for intruding into your privacy.I am the bill and exchange manager BOA Bank here in Ouagadougou Burkina Faso.I Hope that you will not expose or betray this trust and confidence that I am about to repose on you for the mutual benefit of our individual families.

I need your urgent assistance in transferring the sum of ($20.5)Million United Dollars immediately to your account the money has been dormant for years in our Bank here without any body coming for it.

I want us to team up and convince the bank to release the money to you as the nearest person to our deceased customer(the owner of the account)who died alongside his entire family in an air crash since July 2000.I don't want the money to go into our Bank's treasury as an abandoned fund.

So this is the reason why I contacted you, so that the bank where I work as a staff will release the money to you as the nearest person to the deceased customer.

Please I would like you to keep this proposal as a top secret and delete it if you are not interested.Upon receipt of your reply, I will like you to send to me the following for confirmation of interest :

YOUR FULL NAME............
YOUR MOBILE NUMBER...........
YOUR AGE..................
YOUR OCCUPATION..........
YOUR FULL ADDRESS...........

I will send you full details on how the business will be executed and also note that you will have 40% of the above mentioned sum if you agree to transact the business with me and I will like you to know that we are going to make some expenses before the transfer will be made into your account in the area of procuring some legal documents to authenticate your next of kinship.

Thank's and hoping to hear from you

Mr.Elrufai Mallam

Post subject: Re: How stupid do email conmen think we really are?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:34 pm 

Had somebody call my home the other day. Conversation went as follows:

"Hello?"
"Hello, I'm an attorney with blah blah and you have won 175,000 dollars, but our computer is showing you never claimed it."
"Oh, no way, how can I go about getting it?" (You never know :D )
"Well, since we've been holding the money, it costs 600 hundred dollars to lift the hold on your account, after that initial payment, the money's all yours."
*click*

These people called my home. Really?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 pm 

I'm surprised you'd get a phone call like that... For email, you can easily send out millions and millions of copies of the same ludicrously non-credible scam, once you've amassed a list of addresses. Once you do that, they're not hoping that EVERYONE is so dumb as to fall for it... They're thinking "okay, this is so dumb that maybe 0.0001% of the world population would fall for it - not terribly bad lottery odds when I just bought 4 million tickets!".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 pm 

Yeah, these messages are so stupid. When I get my share of the Prince of Nigeria's inheritance I'm gonna employ someone to read all of my emails and filter spam manually.

Seriously though, I don't think that they expect anyone to fall for it and so anybody's a bonus. :? At least the spelling on these tends to be correct on these, most spam is full of spelling and grammar mistakes (although I guess these ones need to sound 'professional').

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm 

All they need is one sap, they are playing the numbers game.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm 

Obviously they are somewhat successful with these scams, since they are still doing them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm 

I am stunned by human stupidity on a daily basis, however these kind of scams unfortunately usually work on the elderly, not the stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 pm 

'Scambait trophy' websites are always good for a laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:05 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Ouagadougou

That one beats Wagga Wagga any day!

:lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:02 am 

Listen to this for some information on the logic and finances behind these scams, as well as some scam hunters...

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 am 

here's what i got: (just a rough draft. deleted it already

Hi, we are from the *random name* group and we are pleased to inform you that you won $*random large number*! to claim it, you need to deposit $10000 into *some account* and that will activate *something* to enable us to send it to you.

THIS IS NOT A SCAM UNLIKE OTHER EMAILS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE RECEIVED.

Regards,
*somebody*

i saw the last line and thought........ yeah. i'll think about that (sarcasm)

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:36 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
here's what i got: (just a rough draft. deleted it already

Hi, we are from the *random name* group and we are pleased to inform you that you won $*random large number*! to claim it, you need to deposit $10000 into *some account* and that will activate *something* to enable us to send it to you.

THIS IS NOT A SCAM UNLIKE OTHER EMAILS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE RECEIVED.

Regards,
*somebody*

i saw the last line and thought........ yeah. i'll think about that (sarcasm)

I got the same thing! only I had like 5 or 6 of these from different sources.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:10 am 

You people are lucky. My spam box is constantly full of phony pharmaceutical ads for drugs promising to increase the size and/or performance of certain, *ahem* male body parts :roll:

I'll trade your Nigerian scams any day for the phony pharmaceutical ads getting stuffed into my spam box :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:34 pm 

EMarx wrote:
Had somebody call my home the other day. Conversation went as follows:

"Hello?"
"Hello, I'm an attorney with blah blah and you have won 175,000 dollars, but our computer is showing you never claimed it."
"Oh, no way, how can I go about getting it?" (You never know :D )
"Well, since we've been holding the money, it costs 600 hundred dollars to lift the hold on your account, after that initial payment, the money's all yours."
*click*

These people called my home. Really?

Someone called my cel and my mom picked it up.(I was driving)
Some guy said he was calling from the government(funny...he had a accent) he said I was entitled for $7,000. My mom asked how do we get it? Besides being rude...he said we had to give $600. So she cursed him out and hung up. Plus the number that came up on the caller i.d was 000-000-0000...lol

Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm 

Strangely enough, the lady that called me had a Spanish accent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:56 pm 

Just a warning to those who are receiving strange calls to their homes, my father sent me this email:

Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284, AND 876
>
> THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T EVER DIAL
> AREA CODE 809
>
> This one is being distributed all over the US ... This is pretty scary,
> especially given the way they try to get you to call.
>
> Be sure you read this and pass it on.
>
> They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family
> member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or
> to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..
> In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there
> are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these
> calls.
>
> If you call from the U.S. , you will apparently be charged
> $2425 per-minute.
>
> Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep
> you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.
> WHY IT WORKS:
>
> The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic .
> The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did
> actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and
> your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most
> likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign
> company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have
> done nothing wrong.
>
> Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to
> help them become aware of this scam.
>
> AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE : <http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045>
> http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm 

More on the area code 809 on Snopes. Some is try, some is urban legend:
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp

-d

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:00 pm 

Tony! What are you doing! Think how many puzzles you could make and buy with 20 million dollars!

You could buy everybody on the forum a 3d printer!

You could conquer the world!

I would seriously think about sending you info to these guys. While it may seem like a scam at first, I have thought about it and they are probably a legitimate company.

It's not every day you get the chance to take money from a deceased Ouagadougian who died in an airplane crash.

PLEASE consider doing this. I'm sure it will be worth your while.

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:08 pm 

dannyb21892 wrote:
Just a warning to those who are receiving strange calls to their homes, my father sent me this email:

Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284, AND 876
> AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE : <http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045>
> http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045

Following info applies only to landlines:

Any area code outside the US (including canada) require the caller to use the international access code.

I could be mistaken here, as I've never had to place a call outside the US before (though I used a calling card to call home when I wet to Italy - my fiance saw a long string of digits on her caller ID that didn't make any sense, and thought I might be trying to call her, so she picked up :mrgreen: ), but you have to first dial 011 to get out, then 1 for US/Canada, then the area code followed by the seven digits.

For example, my area code is 318. To place a call to me from within the US, dial 1(318)xxx-xxxx.

If you are in Canada, you'll have to dial international access code, then 1(318)xxx-xxxx

Once I used an international access code to call a friend down the street (boredom) and I got another response telling me the access code was not required. Also, I once erroneously dialed a Canadian area code once, and I got an automated message prompting me to first dial 011 plus 1 then the area code and phone number.

If you are calling within your area code but outside your local calling area, and you just use the seven digits, you will get a message stating you have to dial 1 plus the area code, then the number. Likewise, in large metropolitan areas in which a local calling area has been split into multiple area codes, callers are required to use ten digit numbers (area code plus seven digits) without the 1 prefix, for local calls only. That way the system provides assurance to people they will not get charged for local calls.

Also, by requiring the international access code to dial out, this prevents scams of this nature from occurring because the call will not be formatted properly.

Cell phones are a little different, as they use a different system. With my carrier, the area code is optional for calls in my home area code, likewise the 1 is also optional for calls nationwide. We never use the house phone for long distance, as there is no fee to do so on our cell phones. There's no roaming nationwide either, and I believe you just hit the "plus" key instead for international access. If it is a world phone, you can use it from Europe and elsewhere too, though your plan has to support it, and there will likely be hefty surcharges.

Moral of the story, never dial "+" or an international access code, turn your cellphone off if you leave the country, and you'll be okay.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:48 am 

I thought I would just add this recent one as a warning.

Windows Live Hotmail Alert!!!

ACCOUNT™ @ CONFIRMATION®

This is email from Windows Live Hotmail® and we are sending it to all account user for safety. Due to the anonymous registration of our account which is causing congestion to our service, so we are shutting down some account and your account was among those to be deleted,so the purpose of this email is for you to verify that you are the owner of this account and you are still using it by filling the information below after clicking on the reply button:

Username: …………………….

Password: …………………….

Date of Birth: …………………

Country or Territory: …………

Make sure the details above are correct to enable us restore your account details, this will help prevent your account from been suspended.

Note:
YOUR DETAILS WILL NOT BE SHARED.
Users have often told us that the more they use Windows Live! Service, the more they discover its benefits. We'll keep working on making Windows Live! the best email service around, and we appreciate your joining us for the ride.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:39 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:

Thanks for the warning! I checked my email and this had gone to the spam box!
I have ensured they have the correct details now... at least my account won't be suspended... phew.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm 

Jade Club wrote:
Subject: Jade Club News as of March 27, 2010 - Welcome as a JadeClub Member

Hi All,

As you know, JadeClub was conceived as a worldwide fellowship of people who share an interest in Mind Puzzles and want to see the hobby flourish. Its members enjoy mental challenges and like to stay in touch with others who share their interests. Membership is by invitation only, so, to help the club grow more quickly, please invite three friends now and ask them to also invite three of their friends. If the friends you invite are already members you may invite others until you have reached your three-invitation quota. Your help in this regard is highly appreciated.

2010 is a milestone year for the puzzle community. It is forty years since the conception of the Meffert's Pyraminx, and thirty years since the worldwide launch of Ernö Rubik's Cube by Ideal Toys. And the rest is history, as they say...

More than 500 million of these mind-twisters have since found their way into homes worldwide, and an estimated two billion-plus people have actually held one of these puzzles and tested their skills with them. That's almost one-third of the world’s population. You could say that cubic puzzles are perfect world “ambassadors,” reaching across cultural and intellectual borders and creating close fellowship.

But there is much more ahead of us. We have barely scratched the surface. There are many puzzlers out there—including who-knows-how-many geniuses--who would like to communicate with fellow puzzlers. And there are many more who have yet to discover the pleasure of stimulating their minds by solving Mind Puzzles, helping them to lead a well-balanced life. These are people we want to join us as JadeClub members.

Now, news about your free Jade-P or Jade-C puzzle (or both, depending on which membership category you have chosen). The extremely complex tooling has been completed and we are now waiting for the custom RFID chips, which have a relatively long lead time. We expect to ship the first Jade puzzles by mid-April. Trust me, it will be worth the extra wait as these are the most beautiful (and also the most expensive and difficult to produce!) puzzles I have made to date.

We had some substantial delays in creating our website (which is par for the course, I guess) and had to change it from the initial Flash site to a .NET aspx format to allow us to provide all the features we want to bring to our members.

To all those who had offered to help translate our website into as many languages as possible, now is the time to get started on that as well. Please let me know at Uwe@jadeclub.org which language you can translate for us, along with an estimate of the time youÂ’ll need to complete the task, and I will send you all the relevant English text.

Membership Benefits and Fees
The one-time fee for VIP Members is US$27; for regular JadeClub Members US$18. (These may change due to fluctuating currency values.) New members in both categories will receive free a unique Jade Wisdom-Stone three-dimension Mind Puzzle in the form of a Pyraminx or a Cube (which we’ll call just “Jade-P” and “Jade-C”). Members can get both puzzles by adding $18 to the basic membership fee. To do this, choose either the VIP+ ($45) or JadeClub+ ($36) option when joining. Free airmail shipping is included to anyplace in the world that has a post office. These puzzles are exclusively for JadeClub Members and cannot be purchased by non-members. Each is one-of-a-kind and will have its own unique RFID code that will identify the owner and keep a record of solving times in puzzle competitions.

The Jade-P and Jade-C Mind Puzzles for VIP Members are produced in a beautiful first-of-its-kind Imperial White Jade-like material decorated with simulated natural gemstone colors on the tops of the engravings. These represent the six basic elements--Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Metal and UE (Universal Energy). VIP Members also enjoy other benefits, including a special VIP website with free access to many interesting topics, both puzzle and non-puzzle related, such as speed reading, memory training, and health-related subjects, include a 12-page summary of the world bestseller
The Wonder Weeks, which teaches parents how to understand their babyÂ’s crying-language.

VIP Members will also receive free a limited-edition Jade book, How to Live your Life, with extracts from the book NatureÂ’s Greatest Miracle, Me! They will also be able to purchase at factory cost a special RFID puzzle reader that will automatically communicate with the unique RFID chip inside every Jade puzzle, identifying the owner and recording a playerÂ’s best times
and post them to the Web. Other special limited edition puzzle offers and benefits will be made
to VIP Members from time to time, many of them free of charge.

The Jade-P and Jade-C Mind Puzzles for Regular Members are made of the same beautiful Imperial White Jade-like material but do not have the gemstone colors added to the tops of the engravings. However, for all Regular Memberships that are finalized by March 31st. we will
send the gemstone color-tipped versions.

I must apologize for the poor photography which failed completely in capturing
the Jade puzzlesÂ’ real beauty.

While Jade puzzles are limited to one of each type per Member, as a special benefit, VIP Member collectors will be able to purchase one set of the Imperial White Jade puzzles (without the special color tipping) at US$36 per Collectors Set by submitting their order through the VIP Collectors Special shopping cart and including their registered email address.

If a person is invited to join but cannot afford to pay the one-time full membership joining fee, he or she can still have Basic JadeClub Membership privileges and will enjoy certain free features of JadeClub which will be announced from time to time in the JadeClub Newsletter. This will include the privilege of inviting three friends to become members but will not include a free Jade-P or Jade-C Mind-Puzzle or free puzzles subsequently offered to Regular and VIP members. Basic Members also will not have access to the online VIP Lounge with its special features and privileges and advance new puzzles release notification. However, a Regular Jade Member or Basic Jade Member may upgrade to VIP or Regular Membership status at any time by paying the appropriate one-time joining fee for that particular membership category.

As a JadeClub Member you will be among the first to learn of new developments in the Mind Puzzle community and will receive advance notice of new puzzle releases so that you can place a reserve order online before they are offered to the general public. You will be able to take part in discussions with the people who created this hobby back in the 1960s and '70s. And as already mentioned, as a member you can invite three other people who share our common interests in puzzling to become members, thus broadening and strengthening our JadeClub community.

GOALS OF THE JADE CLUB

First, this is what the JadeClub is: It is a meeting place where people who enjoy Mind Puzzles
and topics related to a healthy well-balanced life can come together and discuss matters of mutual interest. It is a place for learning about new puzzles and new developments in our fascinating
hobby and other subjects that can enlighten us. It is a cyberspace forum where puzzle designers
and marketers and ordinary puzzle players can exchange ideas and discuss the future of our hobby. In short, it is the place for all news and ideas about this avocation that occupies so much of our
time. It is a place where there are no barriers of language, culture or nationality.

This is what the JadeClub is not: It is not a political organization, not a pressure group, definitely not a cult. And while I personally have concerns about the fate of our planet and consider it my duty to do my part to preserve what is left, I realize that each person has a unique view of the problem. If you share my view, fine; if not, well, let's discuss puzzles and other topics that
interest us!

It is my hope that JadeClub can apply innovative concepts to expand our worldwide network of puzzlers far beyond its present size. Is it a wild dream to imagine that we can have 500 million members within the next seven years? Maybe so, but that's my dream.

To make it become reality it will need a super effort from all of us. Let us spread the word and make our kind of puzzles once again everyday entertainment! Please share with me any thoughts you may have about additional features you would like to see incorporated in JadeClub to make it as attractive and beneficial as possible for members.

Thanks for your contribution and
Happy Puzzling

Uwe Meffert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 pm 

Oooohhh, cheap shot Kelvin! :lol:

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 pm 

Bounb wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

I have ensured they have the correct details now... at least my account won't be suspended... phew.

Erm.... hopefully you didn't ACTUALLY do this.....

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:11 pm 

APJ wrote:
Oooohhh, cheap shot Kelvin! :lol:

Alex

Yeah, I know, I fully expect to get shot down for this, but it might get people to think twice whether it is really so different...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:56 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Yeah, I know, I fully expect to get shot down for this, but it might get people to think twice whether it is really so different...
I'm not sure why you think people would need to think twice. The first time should be sufficient to see the vast differences here.

I know you are unhappy at the Meffert delays and communication, but is that any reason to draw completely unrelated comparisons? I believe you have been offered your money back, no?

If you must have a comparison, here we go:

1.) You know who the offer comes from. He's been in puzzles longer than pretty much anyone else (30+ years). Compare that to offers that come from anonymous sources or sources trying to hide their true identity.

2.) Re-reading again (thinking twice here) I see no promised date for these puzzles. I see a target date that has been missed, like many, many other targeted dates have been missed by others in this same industry. Although communication has been weak it isn't like Meffert has closed up shop and fled to another country.

3.) If this were a scam what possible reason would Meffert have to produce prototypes of these puzzles? You know the expense of production. You have seen credible sources talk about them (I have handled one myself). If this were a scam they would not exist. As they exist, one can guess that completing production and getting a few out for sale (not just those owed to members) is probably the only way for him to make back his investment. Sure Jade club memberships may help defer the cost of these prototypes and initial production, but I don't think there are enough Jade members to cover the full costs.

4.) If this were a scam, Meffert would stand to lose far more business in the rest of his site going forward than he could possibly make with the Jade memberships.

Satisfied or unsatisfied with Meffert your comparison is not logical. As you are familiar with business I can only imagine if you yourself thought twice about the business prospects of this theory you would conclude it makes no sense.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:40 pm 

Dave, I think it was merely a joke. There is some irony in the comparison drawn between the two, but every person out there knows that Uwe isn't a conman.

It's just a joke.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

Last edited by NType3 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:53 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
...Satisfied or unsatisfied with Meffert your comparison is not logical. ...

Exactly so!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 pm 

NType3 wrote:
Dave, I think it was merely a joke. There is some irony in the comparison drawn between the two, but every person out there knows that Uwe isn't a conman.

It's just a joke.
I certainly read the first post and appreciated the implied irony, but I would not want to disappoint Kelvin's expectations and leave his second post unanswered. I even left a smiley at the end to hope it would be read in the proper tone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:00 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:
I'm not sure why you think people would need to think twice. The first time should be sufficient to see the vast differences here.

I know you are unhappy at the Meffert delays and communication, but is that any reason to draw completely unrelated comparisons? I believe you have been offered your money back, no?

If you must have a comparison, here we go: ...

I was mainly referring to similarities in the history of what has actually happened to date (i.e., grand promises, but nothing delivered), but I agree that the key difference lies in (what we assume to be) Meffert's good intentions. I keep my fingers crossed that everyone will get what they've paid for soon. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:07 pm 

Bounb wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

It's fun to laugh it up and make fun of these notices but sent to the right people, they work.

For example, a few months ago a phishing message very similar to the one Tony quoted was sent to a mailing list of doctors at my institution. Their sysadmin responded just a few minutes later with something to the effect of "that was a phishing message, don't respond".

He received 3 responses to his email. One was roughly "oh no, I already responded, what do I do?", another was "Thanks but I already took care of this." (they responded to the original phishing notice), and the third was a response to the sysadmin's note with their name, password, mail server, etc.

All three of the responders were medical doctors with PhDs. In fact, it has been our experience that medical doctors and non-native English speakers fall for phishing messages a lot more than anybody else. The next up is administrative staff (secretaries, HR personnel, etc). We even had a case where a secretary reminded everyone to respond to a phishing notice, which caused about 50 people in one group to respond to it.

The cynic in me is inclined to write these people off as morons but I know reality is a lot more complicated than that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 am 

Quote:
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
J.Edgar. Hoover Building
Washington DC.
Customers Service Hours / Monday To Saturday
Office Hours Monday To Saturday.

Attn: Beneficiary

This is to officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have
investigated with the help of our monitoring network system of your due funds
transfer which is valued at the sum of $11million USD, for contract/ inheritance
payment and most especially AMERICAN CITIZENS that have been involved in cases
of fraud by many AFRICANS, we have been directed to act immediately towards this
issue.You were formally having transactions with impostors claiming to be prof.
Charles Soludo of the CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA, none officials of Zenith Bank,
Kelvin Young of HSBC, Ben of FedEx, Ibrahim Sule,Dr.Usman Shamsudeen, puppy
scammers and impostors claiming to be incharge of your fund transfer.During our
investigation, we noticed that the reason why you have not received your payment
is because you have not fulfilled your financial obligation given to you in
respest of your contract/inheritance payment by the FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE
(NIG).

The reason why the FBI(Federal Bereau Of Investigation)are contacting you is
because a lady by name Linda Rossel has contacted the ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER
with your information that they should approve the funds on your behalf to her
as your representative, so please check and know if you have sent anybody by
that name to claim this funds on your behalf as we will facilitate the transfer
of the funds to her immediately. But we are still to comfirm in sending the
funds to her because your signature is on the approval form, that is why you
have been contacted personally.
Your payment file was accessed and we found out that your funds which is valued
at the sum of $11million usd has not been delivered yet, because of lack of
compliance with the directives as regards the delivery of your ATM CARD to you.
So all you need to do now is to contact the ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER and inform
them that you have not sent any Miss Linda Rossel to claim your funds, so there
will be a comfimation that you are not the person that sent her and for the
delivery of your ATM CARD to commence as soon as possible.

We have also contacted the ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER that issued the ATM CARD on
your behalf, and they informed us that they also have a fast access delivery
services, which means that your ATM CARD can be delivered to you within 24hrs as
you have to make a payment of $135 only for the shipment and also with your
required details, so you will have to get back to the ATM PAYMENT CENTER
immediately for the safety of your fund.

Listen carefully, you have only few days to complete this process, or your fund
via ATM CARD will be sent immediately to the Lady Miss Linda Rossell because she
accepted to make the payment for the shipment so that they can deliver your ATM
card to her on your behalf.

All you have to do right now is to contact the ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER via email
with your required details to procure your APPROVAL SLIP immediately for the
delivery of your ATM CARD to commence to your home address and also a $135 usd
payment only for the shipment fee. please note that without the payment for the
shipment, your ATM CARD cannot be approved for delivery to your home address.
and also once the FedEx courier service proceeds for the shipment a tracking
number will be giving to you for you to be able to track your package on the
FedEx website before it gets to you. you just have to follow instructions to
avoid errors, and also for security reason.

Below are few list of tracking numbers of some benificiaries like you who have
received their ATM card successfully, you can track them on the FedEx website to
confirm.

Name : Donny Peterson: FedEx Tracking Number: 870456747216 http://www.fedex.com/ng/
Name : Angela L. Johnson: FedEx Tracking Number: 870456750392
http://www.fedex.com/ng/

Since the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is involved in this transaction,
you have to be rest assured for this is 100% risk free, it is our duty to
protect all American Citizen.

You have to forward your required details as stated below, to the ATM CARD
PAYMENT CENTER, if you are sure that you did not advise them to transfer the
funds on your behalf to Miss Linda Rossel.

FULL NAME:
HOME ADDRESS:
TELL:
CELL:
CURRENT OCCUPATION:
PLACE OF WORK:
GENDER/ AGE:
BANK NAME:

ATM CARD CENTER CONTACT INFORMATIONS
NAME: MRS MARGRET ANDERSON
EMAIL: dranderson_36@yahoo.cn

Do contact MRS MARGRET ANDERSON of the ATM PAYMENT CENTER with the details above
immediately.
Your files would be updated after which she will send you the payment
information which you will use in making the payment of $135usd via (WESTERN
UNION TRANSFER) or (MONEY GRAM) for the FedEx officials to commence for shipment
within 24hrs.

Please Listen carefully any delay in making the payment of $135usd for the
shipment of your ATM card, they will be left with no option than to hand over
your ATM CARD to Miss Linda Rossel, because you signature has been confirmed on
the fund release document she forwarded to the ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER.

You have nothing to worry about, just go ahead and contact the ATM CARD CENTER
with the needed information immediately and make the payment of for the shipment
as soon as possible. We are going to make sure that justice is brought back to
power in this situation. Just make sure you act according to instructions.
Thanks and hope to read from you soon.

ROBERT S. MUELLER, III
DIRECTOR, FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535

Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to
be in possession of your ATM CARD, you are hereby advice only to be in contact
with MRS MARGRET ANDERSON of the ATM CARD CENTER who is the rightful person to
deal with in regards to your ATM CARD PAYMENT and forward any emails you get
from impostors to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.

FBI, must be real... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 am 

I've heard anecdotally that the reason these 419 scams regularly make use OF ALL CAPITAL LETTERS for proper names and all of the important parts of the email is that the particular terminal that was commonly available in Africa that African governments standardized on did not support lowercase. Terminals without lowercase were very common in the 70's and early 80's and when lowercase became available, even though most of the world updated/migrated, some organizations like the Nigerian government didn't for much longer.

This meant that almost all of the official documents, signs, etc that were created by government offices were written in ALL CAPS. Now when some poor Nigerian is trying to write and official looking/sounding email they try to make it OFFICIAL in the same way they are used to seeing OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS: ALL CAPS.

I've done a bit of Googling and I can't find anyone with an explanation for the ALL CAPS emails. If anyone has a link or knows better it would be interesting to read.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm 

Slight bump but I was really impressed by the quality of this scam.
Attachment:
Paypal scam.JPG
Paypal scam.JPG [ 126.3 KiB | Viewed 4592 times ]

I posted this as a picture so that the activation link doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:25 pm 

Wow, that's clever. It even says to only log on if you are at the actual pay pal website. Of course some people will forget to check that until it's too late.

-d

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 pm 

Here's a good story about a scam that got turned around by a clever scambaiter. It's a bit long, but it's quite nice to see the scammer being scammed/trolled. :lol:

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:51 pm 

How strange this got bumped, I was just looking at a story kind of like this:

http://www.switched.com/2011/01/04/fake ... nk3|193677

For those of you who haven't heard, it was sent to government officials to essentially steal some of their files by imitating the white house and post them on the web, and they succeeded.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:37 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Slight bump but I was really impressed by the quality of this scam.
Attachment:
Paypal scam.JPG

I posted this as a picture so that the activation link doesn't work.

This one is probably related to a CSRF error, where you can tell the browser to do something without having it explicitly show it being done. They're particularly dangerous because on the server side, all it shows is a valid request from the user.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm 

A little bump, but I wanted to show you the email I just got:

"Title: URGENT REPLY NEEDED

Good Day,

Please Read very carefully. I Am Mr Zube Kabel I’m the credit officer in ADB Bank Ouagadougou Burkina Faso. I have a business proposal in the tune of US$ 12.5M (TWELVE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) after the successful transfer; we shall share in ratio of 40% for you and 60% for me. I want to front you in the bank so that you can apply for the claim of fund as the next of kin to our late customer who died years ago with his entire family while on holidays and several attempt has being made to locate his family without success.

You should understand that as an insider in the bank I will do every thing possible to protect your interest and to make sure that I follow things up as soon as you are willing to work this out with me because I will not want this money to go into the government purse. Should you be interested, please contact me so we can commence on all arrangements and I Will give you more information on how we would handle this project. Please treat this business with utmost confidentiality and send me the Following information: with this Email address

(1) Full names:....................................................
(2) Private phone number:.....................................
(3) Current residential address:.....................................
(4) Occupation:................................................
(5) Age and Sex:.........................................

Kind Regards"

Sharon

The puzzles on the picture are not for sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm 

My Boy Scouts troop got this one from someone within the troop. It turns out her email was hacked to send this one out, and I thought it was a decent try.

"Hi,

Just writing to let you know our trip to London, England has been a mess. we were having a great time until last night when we got mugged and lost all my cash,credit card cellphone It has been a scary experience, I was hit at the back of my neck with a club. Anyway...... I'm still alive and that's whats important. I'm financially strapped right now and need your help. i need you to loan me some $$, I'll refund it to you as soon as we arrive home.Write me back so i can tell you how to get it to me.

Love.

[name removed]"

It was spotted as a scam when she confirmed that she was in fact at home and had never been to England in her life. One of the other adults in my troop said that the same scam was tried at his business not long before, so this one may still be circulating through other hacked emails.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Br6dK5yZQk

you never know.....

I personally don't get too much spam because I avoid using my real email whenever I can.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 pm 

a bit of a bump, but I just got this in the email.

Beloved,

I am at the end of the road, and about to donate a huge sum of money through you. I promise that your assistance would be rewarded. Please reply...

Mrs H. Abery

I almost want to reply and pretend that I believe this, but then I am afraid that I will get flooded with spam :lol:

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 am 

another email I got :
"My name is Andrew Paul an attorney at law with A. Paul & Associates.

I found your e mail contact through an electronic search conducted by my Law
firm and it gives me greatest joy that you are the type of person that I can
trust to handle this project with me.

I have contacted you to assist in distributing the estate left behind by my
client before it get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank where
this deposit valued at $18, 000,000 and I strongly believe you could execute
this business with me.

Kindly get back to me for more Detail.

Best regards,
Mr Andrew Paul. "

one more thing that happened: I was looking for a dogic and a white golden cube everywhere I could including autosniper forum.
someone found my email from the forum and emailed me, saying that he sells an original dogic for *** GBP. he also sent me some pictures (which I remembered from daves post about the dogic color, dave posted it to compare the color of both the original and the mefferts version). the man asked me to pay him using western union cuz he dosent have a paypal account.

his name is Antonio Dante, from Italy. feel free to talk to him (if you can find him) and buy the dogic cuz im not going to risk my money.

PS. if you (Antonio) are reading this thread, please explain whats going on.

Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 am 

Sharon wrote:
one more thing that happened: I was looking for a dogic and a white golden cube everywhere I could including autosniper forum.
someone found my email from the forum and emailed me, saying that he sells an original dogic for *** GBP. he also sent me some pictures (which I remembered from daves post about the dogic color, dave posted it to compare the color of both the original and the mefferts version). the man asked me to pay him using western union cuz he dosent have a paypal account.

his name is Antonio Dante, from Italy. feel free to talk to him (if you can find him) and buy the dogic cuz im not going to risk my money.

PS. if you (Antonio) are reading this thread, please explain whats going on.

Sharon

Nice call out Sharon. Please all remember to be very careful when purchasing cubes from people you don't know. (even those of us you do know-I have a box of metal cubes that still need to be sent out-but no payment requests will be sent until I get those in the post-sorry guys! :oops: )

western union is pretty dodgy sounding if you don't know the person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 pm 

I got an email a while ago from Ban Ki-moon :roll: saying I'd won some kind of European lottery. It was good for a laugh at least. :lol:

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:56 am 

Adman234 wrote:
a bit of a bump, but I just got this in the email.

Beloved,

I am at the end of the road, and about to donate a huge sum of money through you. I promise that your assistance would be rewarded. Please reply...

Mrs H. Abery

I almost want to reply and pretend that I believe this, but then I am afraid that I will get flooded with spam :lol:

I tried that with one of my other email addresses. Knowing full well it was a con I responded to one of these scumbags saying I was interested. They replied saying I could either send a payment for it to be cleared or pick it up in person at their Paris office. This was my reply-

"Wow, thanks. That's great. I will be in Paris next week. Please give me the address."

I never heard from them again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:19 pm 

Good reply, Tony. That is an interesting experiment and a fun game to play, trying to fool around with the conmen.

On a related note (threadjack warning), has anyone else signed up with the PSAT people (college board) to get e-mail updates and had their inbox flooded with e-mails (probably spam) from hundreds of American universities? The strangest/most suspicious one I got asked (as the subject) "where should I send this free gift for ___?". They try to fool you and confirm your e-mail address by saying "Have I Contacted You, ___?" and often advertise personality surveys, but lately they have calmed down and started sending out electronic flyers :(

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm 

The local "Make it Work" computer specialists sent an email out that headlined, "200 Billion Malicious Spam E-mails Are Sent Per Day‏." I'm not sure where they got that number, but I suspect that it's accurate.

If people stop opening them maybe they'll go away, but I doubt that will happen.

David J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 am 

another email I got:

"FROM:MRS AGNES SAVIMBI

Dear Sir/Madam,

This letter may come to you as a surprise but I really prayed to God to help me
choose somebody that will be my true partner, a person who has a fear of God
that
cannot betray my remaining family and me as I don’t even know whom to trust so
I
allowed the spirit of God to lead me.

I am Mrs. Agnes Jonas Savimbi, wife of the late leader of the National Union of
the
Total Liberation of Angola (UNITA) After surviving more than a dozen
assassination
attempts, my husband, Savimbi was killed four years later, in February 2004, in
a
battle with Angolan government troops. Two weeks before he died, he called me
and reveals the existence of US$25,000,.000.00 (Twenty five Million, United
States
Dollars) being deposited in a suspense account with the bank in South Africa.

This money was income accrue from the sale of Gold & Diamond.
When I heard the bad news of my husband's death, his trusted aid moved me and
members of our family out on hiding, but unfortunately my elder son and 1 were
caught and place under house arrest. Luckily to us, my second son being sharp
and
clever has escaped through Zambia to South Africa where he resides as a
political
refugee.

Now the problem he is facing their is that the labour of South Africa does
not permit an asylum seeker (Refugee) the right to financial transaction. This
was
the basic reason why I decide to contact you, so that you will stand as the
beneficiary of the funds, we are prepared to transfer the ownership of the funds
to
your name. 30% of the total money goes to you, as a commission for your
services,
while 70% goes to my family, which we intend to invest, immediately we are being
released from
house arrest. I am assuring you that this transaction is risk free as we have
put
all the logistics in place to make it successful, all we need from you is your
co-operation and sincerity of purpose.

You will be contacting my son on his details below for more details on how you
are
going to assist us conclude this transaction. I will wait for your response
through
my son, thank you and God bless.

Name: Robert Savimbi
Direct Tel.Line; +27 83 687 6562
EMAIL:henryrsavimbi@pnetmail.co.za OR envestment2010@aol.com

In your email to my son Robert Savimbi, kindly forward to him the following:

1 Your Full Name
2.Your Contact (Home) Address
3.Your Telephone and Fax number

Thanks and may the almighty father guide us through.

Thank you.
Mrs. Agnes Savimbi
"

I dont know why I get so many scam emails recently.. maybe I gave my email to the wrong person at some point.

Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:45 am 

This one must be genuine. I am sending my bank details immediately!

-NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE
FRAUD/CONTRACT INVESTIGATION SECTION
FORCE COMMAND HEAD QUARTERS, ABUJA NIGERIA
Our Ref: NPF-05X 01
Your Ref: CPNPF-04-11
Date: 01-07-11

To Fund Beneficiary,

SUBJECT: Circular to concerned foreign fund beneficiaries.

Reference to our circular issued to various foreign contractors and next
of kins, from the statistics gathered from our preliminary investigations
carried out by this unit, it has finally come to our knowledge that there
has been a lot of corruption and malpractice going on in different
government agencies and parastatals here in Nigeria. We have been able to
know our individual digital line microelectronic surveillance that certain
foreign Tel-fax lines have been constantly in connection with unidentified
lines in our international exchange facilities and yours is a case at
print. It has equally come to our knowledge that some corrupt individuals
of our country Nigeria are defrauding the public via the aid of foreigners
pretending to be contractors and lottery winners of this government.

This is the primary reason why the Federal Ministry of Justice has enacted
decree 21-section (406) paragraph (2) of (1987). We have never stopped
wondering why you have not been able to secure your Inheritance settlement
considering your regular telephone relationship with Nigeria. We have
every reason to suspect anyone as such ghost contractors, next of kin,
lottery winners who in collaboration with unscrupulous officials of our
diseased parastatals and corporations to defraud the government. This is a
pure criminal offence as stated in contract decree of 1979 as amended by
the contract law of 1989 section 199, edict 244, paragraph 14, sub-section
55 of the criminal code popularly known as Advance Fee Fraud (419.

Furthermore, in the light of these undesirable improprieties, we are
convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that you are the rightful
beneficiary of the said Inheritance amount of fund as witnessed in your
inheritance file and our pre-remittance verification of your claims.

The United Nations London zonal director Ambassador Nelson Clark on telephone
number 44 709 298 3924 / mail address: ambassadornelson.clark@london.com
has been empowered to reconcile, revalidate your payment before the Bank
of England will execute transfer to your bank account. The Kentish Branch
of the Hsbc Bank London is the only bank that the President of Nigeria has
given the power to cancel, suspend and effect transfer of all inheritance
next of Kin payments.

In summary, we strongly warn you to stop further correspondence with any
other bank otherwise you will have to blame yourself if you are scammed.
We solicit your co-operation to enable us serve you better and to bring
these culprits to order and maintain justice.

The police are your friend.

Chief Tanko Abdulahi
For: Inspector General of Police
Interpol Division
Zone 4 Abuja Nigeria.