Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What do your names mean?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:07 pm 

There has been a thread on this forum before asking this exact question, but it is from 2004. http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3025
I believe that this thread is a good discussion topic, and it will make more sense out of some people's usernames. There are some of you that have your actual name (Tony Fisher, Oskar, Sandy, and way more recently Brandon Enright, etc.), but there are others like me that have chosen to use something different. I'll start off by saying that if you break up my username into 3 parts, it's really easy to figure out. First part: Belcher. This is simply my last name. Nothing else. And yes it is funny haha (sarcastically). Second part: Boy. This is what my dad refers to me as sometimes (i.e. "Come here, boy!") whenever he is in a good mood, and yes I know it sounds like it would be an expression of anger rather than one of happiness. Third part: 2000. This is simply the year I was born. So I am probably the youngest (age-wise, not to the actual forum) person on this forum right now.

I will enjoy seeing why other people chose their usernames!

Post subject: Re: What do your names mean?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 pm 

I guess I won't be able to comment much about mine :lol:
However, I used to go by the nickname BRyanS. It's my first and last initial, with my middle name in the middle. I don't really use it anymore though. (pronounced [B] [Ryan] [S], not as a whole word)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:36 pm 

Mine's got a bit of a long story behind it. Suffice to say, it was a nickname given to me by my senior English teacher in high school, with whom I'm close friends with. It's from RUSH's song "Tom Sawyer". Usually I just go by Warrior though. What's funny is that neither of us realized until much later that my real name, Mark, actually does mean "warrior" or "war-like," so that's a cool coincidence. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:59 pm 

NXTgen is my name because of my love for Legos, and more specifically the Lego Mindstorms. The main "brick" is the NXT block, but "gen" is there because if an "E" was added it would become "NEXTgen" but I thought it was too common to have it spelled that way.

While it is not as creative as it could have been, it would otherwise have nothing else creative :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:56 pm 

I've posted about mine before.

wwwmwww wrote:
A bit of history... wwwmwww has been my user ID ever since I've been on line... which is just about as long as there has been a line to be on. A quarter of a century ago back when I was in High School I made up a character for an English project and his name was Wiki Waki Wahoo. Later after the movie Lawn Mower Man came out I told all my friends the sequel would be called Weed Wacker Woman. So when the World Wide Web came along I felt it fitting to join the other www's in my life and thus wwwmwww (or Wiki Waki Wahoo Meets Weed Wacker Woman) was born.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 am 

Burgo is my real nickname, might as well be my real name, I get called that more often. In Australia, you don't choose your own nickname :) .. It's just an abbreviated form of my surname, my father had the same nickname :wink: .

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 am 

I'll give you three guesses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:43 am 

When I started out in Games it was as a Technical Artist which is an oxymoron (like Military Intelligence or Political Correctness)!
The last bit I leave as homework :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:57 am 

Everyone calls me Gus except my mother and other close family. I got the nickname when I was in primary school, and I can't remember why, it has nothing to do with my real name.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:49 am 

Some time ago I decided to abbreviate and compound my full name into a tag that couldn't be searched and identified by potential employers looking to make value judgements by spying on social networks, the sneaky b-tards that they have become. This is supposed to be a friendly compromise. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:00 am 

Ferd Berfel has been my online identity for at least the last 10 years. It's just a moniker that I use to separate my real name from my online interactions to maintain at least a semblance of anonymity. It came from mashing my fist into the keyboard while choosing a username for an MMORPG that I used to play way back when.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 am 

Pantazis = Πανταζής (in Greek) = "For ever live".

Yeap, I am immortal!

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:34 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

Yeap, I am immortal!

Pantazis
You explained nicely your real name :) I remember that your member name is a Greek island, right?

My member name is my real first name. I asked Sandy some time ago to change my former member name to this one.
Konrad has the advantage that English speakers are somehow familiar with "Conrad". So, Konrad with a "K", was quite OK in introductions during my business life.
Konrad is not used very often as a German first name. It was used in my family several times, because it was the name of my grandfather - and he had 15 children :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:16 am 

I picked this as a login name in 1990 when I first joined some local bulletin board systems (MS-DOS anyone?).

It's a merge of two of my musical preferences: a music genre (Ska) and a rock band (The Beatles). The Spanish word for beetle, the insect, is escarabajo.

In the mid-1990s, I continued using it as username when I started joining message boards, fora and IRC channels.

Through the years, I've notice several other Skarabajos online. But I'm pretty sure I was the very first one. :D

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 am 

Konrad wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Yeap, I am immortal!

Pantazis
You explained nicely your real name :) I remember that your member name is a Greek island, right?

Indeed! My nickname "kastellorizo" refers to the Kastellorizo island. It is such picturesque place,
and it is where I recharge my batteries!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTObjEu25xs

Konrad wrote:
It was used in my family several times, because it was the name of my grandfather - and he had 15 children :)

I can surely hear you there!!! My grandfather had the same name (Pantazis), he had 16 kids(!),
and despite its rarity across Greece, I got many cousins with the same name!!!

:D

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 am 

Skarabajo wrote:
I picked this as a login name in 1990 when I first joined some local bulletin board systems (MS-DOS anyone?)

Well, I know that period somewhat. (My first PC -an AT- ran under Dos 3.1 I believe)

Oh, I'm sorry but I'm here under my real name also.
I've had little occurences yet that I wasn't able to select 'Splinter' as user name. But there are people that have this as their last name.
In full my first names:
Splinter - meaning: 'smart' (no, nothing to do with any wood)
secondly Justus - meaning: 'righteous / justice'

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:34 am 

Jeffery is my real-life given name.

When I first started going online, I just wentby Jeffery. At the time I decided to make a proper Web Alias, my primary obsession was Pokemon, my favorite Pokemon was Mew, and within the jointly created fan-universe my friends and I created(all of us having our own blatant self-insertions), my character was only the second human to ever have the strength of character to tame a Mew and was granted the title Mewtamer by the Legendary Pokemon. That title that originated within the fantasies of a bunch of teenaged Pokemon Fanatics soon became the surname for my web alias. Should probably be worth noting that our Pokemon RPing back then also took some inspiration from the Digimon Anime, mainly its third Season Digimon Tamers, such as each human being partnered with a single Pokemon, calling ourselves tamers instead of trainers and Human and Mon meging into one to become a stronger enity. Yeah, my friends and I circa 2002 were quite silly, and were practically outcasts in our highschool for our behavior, but that's where the 'Mewtamer par of my alias, which I have been using for over a decade originates.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 am 

Temeraire is the main dragon in the book "His Majesty's Dragon". The name was cool so I took it :-P

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 am 

I'm boring.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:27 am 

I was very good at math in middle school and high school. I was two years ahead of my peers. As a result, my schedule was very different the other HAG students in my grade and I did not get a lot of interaction with them. They referred to me simply as "the math kid" since they didn't really know me. It eventually stuck and I adopted it as my screen name around the age of 16. I've been using it ever since.

PS - I'm 27 now, so I'm definitely not a kid anymore [except at heart!].

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:40 am 

My username for this site and youtube arr the same, and are a result of simply finding an adjective to put before 'puzzle' that wasn't taken up already. Mighty was the first I came to.

My real nickname is 'Llyr bach' the former being my name and the latter being welsh for small (despite being the tallest Llyr I know).
Llyr was apparently the name of an old welsh king, known as the greatest of all welsh kings, the father of an actual giant, a princess who married the king of Ireland at time, and a younger son with immeasurable strength and could break apart an iron cauldron that could resurrect the dead with his bare hands.
So yeah....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:50 am 

themathkid wrote:
I was very good at math in middle school and high school. I was two years ahead of my peers.

I know how you feel. I go to a different math class than everyone else in my grade, because I take a Geometry course, and I'm in 8th grade. I am also technically taking the Algebra class because it's required, but I only do the homework for it, so it's easier on me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 pm 

I looked up my first name (grégoire) on the urban dictionnary, and I decided to give up on posting to this topic :P

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm 

Temeraire wrote:
Temeraire is the main dragon in the book "His Majesty's Dragon". The name was cool so I took it :-P

I don't know that book, but temeraire looks to me like the french word "Téméraire" that means reckless. :)

My username is really simple. I created-it for this forum, because I didn't like my old one anymore and I thought it was time to create a more serious and original username.
It took me a while to complete the registration on the forum :) I was trying to create a name that represent my passions and interests.
I finally got the name of Polymaker, which is the mix of "polyvalent" (french of "versatile") and "maker" (creator, inventor, craftsman, etc).

I started to use this name everywhere else since that.

Last edited by polymaker on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:23 pm 

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
Mine's got a bit of a long story behind it. Suffice to say, it was a nickname given to me by my senior English teacher in high school, with whom I'm close friends with. It's from RUSH's song "Tom Sawyer". Usually I just go by Warrior though. What's funny is that neither of us realized until much later that my real name, Mark, actually does mean "warrior" or "war-like," so that's a cool coincidence. :D

Cool, RUSH is awesome!

TheCubingKyle wrote:
I'll give you three guesses.

You love singing and your name is Bob?

And, since I'm posting here anyway, my "story".

I was a hobby rapper until a couple of years ago, not so much into rapping these days. But anyway, I first choose a rapname Master Of Disaster, when I was like 13, but got tired of it. Then I switched to !NSAN3, with a questionmark. But I couldn't get my username here with a questionmark, so I took a 1 instead.

My Youtube-username is esmod89. My initials, ES, my old rapname-abbreviation MOD (See above), and my year of birth, 89. ESMOD89.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:23 pm 

polymaker wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

I don't know that book, but temeraire looks to me like the french word "Téméraire" that means reckless. :)

People often start speaking french to me because of this... :lol:

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm 

I live in Xenia, Ohio, sometimes called X-town.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:12 pm 

Zem doesn't really have any meaning. It's just a pseudonym.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 pm 

My first name is Francisco, and almost everybody calls me Fran, so I gave a chance to the other half of my first name :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:45 am 

cisco wrote:
My first name is Francisco, and almost everybody calls me Fran, so I gave a chance to the other half of my first name :D

Oh! I thought it was because you're a fan of computer networking! :mrgreen:
(in case you didn't know : cisco)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:51 pm 

I'm Raphael, or "God heals" I have the nickname "Phi," because it's the only way people can remember how to pronounce my name. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:31 pm 

12354q means nothing. I thought that it would be to boring to use my real name, and I couldn't think of anything else, so I just chose something random.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:07 am 

12354q wrote:
12354q means nothing. I thought that it would be to boring to use my real name, and I couldn't think of anything else, so I just chose something random.

Imagine if our parents used the same approach when naming us as babies... I think I would like to have a few numbers and symbols in my real name, just letters are boring! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:11 am 

E-Cubes Designer; I design the E-Cube puzzles. :solved:
X: put at the end just like my favorite anime, Mysterious Girlfriend X.
I do not intend to use my real name until later.

I hope it rains on your parade
I hope you have a lousy day today

Just Kidding! Have a great day!

Sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 am 

I miss this thread. Also, you aren't the only one, E-Cubes Designer X, I think Eitan used pirsquared as a username and then one day told people his name after designing a lot of great puzzles, like you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 am 

Well Mine is Very simply that my name is Andrew Chillingworth.