Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A question to shapeways sellers concerning CAD licences
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:03 am 

Hi there.

I am still in the process of opening my first online buiseness. I design stuff in CAD, get it molded and want to sell it.

The thing is, that the student's version of Solid Edge (very similar to Solid Works actually) that I use is not licensed for commercial use. The full version is priced exactly the same as Solid Works. About 5500€ plus 132€ per month for at least one year. So the total cost is about 7000€ that is without VAT and also for the standard version, which doesn't have render studio.

I read a little on the internet and what I found is that using CAD software commercially that you are not allowed to use that way or even using a completely cracked illegal version will result in a fine about 3 to 5 times the cost of the programm. I also read that the CAD companies are infact calling people to figure out what they use and that there are infact cases where Computers were taken and examined to see which programm was used for certain products that have been sold.
Now all that I read in some forums only after a google search.

I have decided to buy a commercially usable version already. So I am not getting myself into much trouble talking about this on the forum in advance.

I know that most people on this forum use Solid Works for shapeways puzzles because it has this wonderful feature where you split a solid into a whole lot of parts.

I was wondering how many of the people selling puzzles on shapeways are using commercially licenced software and if they got them via some university or leased or whatever legal possibilty ther is. Also what other softwares there might be that are similar to the two mentioned.

After contacting some retailers of such software here in Germany, noone would offer some lease or anything, although the only people I haven't contacted yet are the university I go to.

I tried Rhino and some very cheap software called ViaCAD3D and I must say after having the ability to change a sketch and the resulting solid will change accordingly and all the inner sketch relations, like it is with SE and SW, those other programs are infact a pain to use.

Post subject: Re: A question to shapeways sellers concerning CAD licences
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 am 

alaskajoe wrote:
I have decided to buy a commercially usable version already. So I am not getting myself into much trouble talking about this on the forum in advance.
Thanks alaskajoe for supporting those making valuable software!

I bought Alibre a few years back for their very low $99 deal. I have since upgraded once for an additional $99.
It is clearly not Solidworks, but I thought it was a good deal given the price. Sadly I have used it a bit but not completed any of the puzzles from that software yet.

To those who wish to respond please keep in mind alaskajoe is asking for legal alternatives, and perhaps read this if you wish to understand what is appropriate or not to discuss here.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:56 am 

Hey Dave,

thanks for the reply. I must say I haven't been aware of this thread. :oops:
I used CAD +license in the search function and didn't find anything.

Yes, my post is not supposed to test or control any members or be a warning. The main reason was the question about what else I could do.
I was already thinking about editing it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am 

My recommendation is still FreeCAD, but then again, I have a strong FOSS bias and consider any application that doesn't run natively under Linux a waste of time.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:34 am 

I had considered to try some CAD work for puzzles some time back, but I gave up the idea completely when I understood that there is no inexpensive home edition of Solidworks for my limited use.
I can understand the high prices, if somebody uses the software for business purposes.
For a hobby, Solidworks is just too expensive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:15 am 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
My recommendation is still FreeCAD, but then again, I have a strong FOSS bias and consider any application that doesn't run natively under Linux a waste of time.
For the price FreeCad can't be beat :lol: But seriously, I have used FreeCad and Inventor (work related) and FreeCad isn't too bad. The more people use it, and help develop it, the better it will get.

I agree that SW is expensive, and this is a shame, because if more people could use it, I'm sure that we would have that Big Chop by now! I wonder if you can pick up older versions of SW for a reduced cost, even if they were unsupported?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am 

Konrad wrote:
I had considered to try some CAD work for puzzles some time back, but I gave up the idea completely when I understood that there is no inexpensive home edition of Solidworks for my limited use.
I can understand the high prices, if somebody uses the software for business purposes.
For a hobby, Solidworks is just too expensive

More than a year ago I contacted Dassault Systèmes about possibly buying Solidworks under a non-commercial, limited use hobbyist license and got a respectful "no" response. I think they are concerned that it's very difficult to enforce non-commercial use restrictions so if they offer a hobbyist tier it could possibly impact their commercial sales.

The student version of the software is also non-commercial so anyone with markup on puzzles made with a student edition is technically violating the license.