Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ADAMS 20 Questions CHAT
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:26 pm 

ok guys we need to work together on this to get some good guess's in this is not against the rules so we can do this

ok i will start. i have a question about this question
Is it based on an existing NxNxN mechanism?
So I mean, not the mechanism of a Pyraminx, Skewb, Megaminx etc.

Adam replied yes does this mean like a rubik 2x2x2,3x3x3,4x4x4,5x5x5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:30 pm 

I suppose so...

Maybe he is thinking of a nxnxn cube where n is greater than 7?

Just saw that he said it was a custom puzzle, so I suppose my guess was wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:33 pm 

an NxNxN puzzle that has more than 10 faces?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:38 pm 

reeeech wrote:
an NxNxN puzzle that has more than 10 faces?

Eehh, forgot about that question....

but it could be some truncation like what it is called when you only cut a short distance into the corners (anyway, resulting in 14 faces...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm 

Darn... I was well aware that my second question makes me ineligible for the prize but I thought it's a good question so I just asked it anyway. Now he says he won't answer the question (doesn't say that anywhere in the rules...). If someone else thinks my question (whether the puzzle has been talked about here before) is worth asking, you may do so.

Anyway, I had thought about a separate thread about it, too, but his wording is so imprecise that he can disqualify you for it. Notice he wrote "No other chit chat on this posting". That's "on this posting" which I think can be interpreted as "about this posting" and thus applied to talking about it *anywhere* (including this separate thread).

It's a pity we can't even ask for clarifications about the rules. For example I'd like to know what "no one has yet to make this puzzle" means, I assume there's a "tried" missing but I'm not sure and it just sounds strange to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:41 pm 

ok, but is it? could it?

adam says it's something not mentioned here, nor has it been made before - well according to his research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:43 pm 

ok i was going to answer Stefans question but then he told me wait. so i am holding off on answering his question. it was implied that you will not get your 2nd question answered after you are voided. i am sorry for the confusion and have modified the rules to reflect that also this thread is okay to have.

Last edited by Adam Zamora on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:44 pm 

Btw, I had intended it to be my last question, I didn't want to play this alone. I think it would be good to suggest questions here and we discuss them and choose the good ones? Sorry for trouble I may have caused.

Last edited by away on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:47 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
Stefan has brought up a good and valid point to me via a PM.

yes, I was well aware that I'd be voided from winning. I read the rules carefully. But nowhere do they say you won't answer a second question! Please answer.

I will answer his question but I will change the ruling on this. and for everyone this will go against the 20 questions

his question was "Has the puzzle been talked about on this forum before? (I mean the *whole* twistypuzzles forum, not just the marketplace)"

Answer:

Did I get this wrong, or should there not be an answer there?

Adam Zamora wrote:
ok i was going to answer Stefans question but then he told me wait. so i am holding off on answering his question. it was implied that you will not get your 2nd question answered after you are voided. i am sorry for the confusion and have modified the rules to reflect that also this thread is okay to have.

Okey, didn't saw that before posting...

Quote:
Anyway, I had thought about a separate thread about it, too, but his wording is so imprecise that he can disqualify you for it. Notice he wrote "No other chit chat on this posting". That's "on this posting" which I think can be interpreted as "about this posting" and thus applied to talking about it *anywhere* (including this separate thread).

sure, but we could do it via PM, and Adam can't know about that, I say better be open with it...
I have a feeling I won't be the one with the correct guess anyway so I don't care that much, but sure, if I am allowed I won't sit out the chance to answer

Quote:
adam says it's something not mentioned here, nor has it been made before - well according to his research.

Easy, could be a mod on the 6x6x6 and then nobody have done it yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:50 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
I think it would be good to suggest questions here and we discuss them and choose the good ones?

I think that was the point, but it is good to have it in clear words!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:51 pm 

but he would have totally had to make a 6x6x6 then mod even more, so it will be very hard and i doubt it. and i dount he got a 6x6x6 from olympic cubes so only adam knows

o yea how can we guess on something we never saw or heard about? or are we suppose how it is made like the shape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:58 pm 

Rick Mazzante wrote:
but he would have totally had to make a 6x6x6 then mod even more, so it will be very hard and i doubt it. and i dount he got a 6x6x6 from olympic cubes so only adam knows

o yea how can we guess on something we never saw or heard about? or are we suppose how it is made like the shape?

I guess the point is that we have to "stumble in the dark" before getting the right questions down on the post...

And moreover, I don't know if he said anything about that he had in mid to actually build the puzzle right now, just that he was thinking about that particular modification...
If this assumption is correct, then there is still a posibility that it is a truncated 6x6x6...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:58 pm 

Rick Mazzante wrote:

Notice that Adam only said he's "Thinking" about it. And he said "no one has yet to make this puzzle", which of course includes him!

Quote:
o yea how can we guess on something we never saw or heard about?

Very good question. In case it has not been talked about before, it might not even have a name at all. So our guesses might have to describe it and then he must decide whether the description is sufficiently accurate. That's part of why I wanted to know whether it has been talked about before, to know whether it might have a name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:00 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
That's part of why I wanted to know whether it has been talked about before, to know whether it might have a name.

So, is a promising next question "does this modification have a name that a frequent visitor to this forum might have heard?"?

Or shall we wait for Adam to reveal the answer to your question Stefan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:02 pm 

Haara wrote:

I think he won't reveal it unless someone else asks it.

Question suggestion: Is the N of the NxNxN mechanism smaller than 5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:07 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Haara wrote:

I think he won't reveal it unless someone else asks it.

Good point...

Why not ask if it is bigger than 5 (I mean, if we ask if it is smaller and the answer is no we still don't know if it is "made" from a "existing"* NxNxN

*What I mean is existing is such a way that it is easy to get hold of, as I describe Olympicubes not to be at the moment (since there is no production to speak of yet...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:13 pm 

are we waiting for an answer? or is that his answer? (Blank as he will not answer it?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 pm 

hopefully this will clarify things. i was going to answer his question but then he told me to wait. so as of now i am not going to answer his question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 pm 

Is the N of the NxNxN mechanism smaller than 5?
sweetness mine was yes lol
ok any ideas anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:23 pm 

another question could be:if he is going to make it or not but that might be a stupid question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:25 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=4750&highlight=adam+zamora
maybe a 2x2x2 3x3x3 5x5x5 version? HMMMMM lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:25 pm 

Haara wrote:
Quote:

Why not ask if it is bigger than 5

Because I thought it's unlikely it's bigger than 5 and I thought the distinction between <5 and >=5 has a higher uncertainty. Remember you don't want to ask questions where you're relatively sure about the answer. You'll want to ask a question with high uncertainty, optimally a 50/50 question so that in each case the set of remaining possibilities is only half the size.

P.S. The reason I thought it's unlikely larger than 5 is that it's unlikely he already has one and I think it's unlikely he's thinking about a mod of a puzzle of which he has only seen pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:34 pm 

Intermediate summary:

- Twisty puzzle (not a magic, clock, or snake or anything like that).
- Based on an existing NxNxN mechanism (no Pyraminx, Skewb, Megaminx etc)
- The N is at most 4.
At least 11 and at most 20 faces.
- Custom puzzle.
- Not a cuboctahedron, not a 5x5x5 icosahedron

13 questions left.

Rick, if you're staying awake, could you copy (and then keep updating) this summary in your post on top of this thread?

Last edited by away on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:36 pm 

I like this game :D

could I offer the question of "Is the NXNXN 5 or less?",

I know this is sort of two questions but it would have one answer of either yes or no ?
This way the option will be limited if the answer is no.I hope this is not against the rules?

Also could I offer up " can I buy this puzzle in a recognised online shop other than ebay?"
this question may need some work.

Cheers Rich[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:36 pm 

do our guesses at what it is count as one of the 20 questions? He said we each get one question, and one guess. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:40 pm 

PuckPuzzles.com wrote:
could I offer the question of "Is the NXNXN 5 or less?"

Um, what do you mean? N*N*N<=5? Assuming integral N you're asking whether N=1 which I'm quite sure would result in a YES.

Quote:
Also could I offer up " can I buy this puzzle in a recognised online shop other than ebay?"

Highly unlikely! Remember he said "no one has yet to make this puzzle" (EDIT: actually he said this is only according to his research but I assume he did that well enough)

Last edited by away on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:41 pm 

Ryan. your guess in NOT one of the 20 questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:44 pm 

Thats a strange sentance " no one has yet to make this puzzle" :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:45 pm 

PuckPuzzles.com wrote:
Thats a strange sentance " no one has yet to make this puzzle" :?

Yeah, I've lamented that, too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
Ryan. your guess in NOT one of the 20 questions

What exactly is a guess?

Unless the puzzle already has a fixed name, we *have* to describe it somehow. And even if it has one, we must still be allowed to use a description as our guess. And then the answer is whether Adam thinks the description is a hit. In other words, it's just like a question, but we get it for free! Right?

Ok, not totally free as I only have one guess. But free in the sense that these guess-questions don't count against the limit of questions.

For example, how about this guess:
"My guess: It's a 4x4x4 mod."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:47 pm 

I suppose we should be asking questions that eliminate as many possibilities as possible *look up effective troubleshooting*

We DO have a lot of information, but making guesses aren't really... useful to narrow down possible responses.

I'm not farmiliar with the NxNxN idea, but my assumption would be you're referring to a square. But what if it's like square 1 or something similar to that - we might start making assumptions.

I posted a question asking if it's symmetrical on several verticies *so we know if it's a weird shape or not* though this is the first time I've encountered a situation like this. That also being said - I'm not farmiliar with all these crazy QuadraDecaQuasiGooglehedroncube terms LOL ;)

What about focusing on the overall shape and description?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:47 pm 

come on guys you are not guessing. some one will win this game. lets see some more action here. once you figure out the puzzle then i can show you pictures of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:53 pm 

enigmahack wrote:
I suppose we should be asking questions that eliminate as many possibilities as possible *look up effective troubleshooting*

We DO have a lot of information, but making guesses aren't really... useful to narrow down possible responses.

I'm not farmiliar with the NxNxN idea, but my assumption would be you're referring to a square. But what if it's like square 1 or something similar to that - we might start making assumptions.

I posted a question asking if it's symmetrical on several verticies *so we know if it's a weird shape or not* though this is the first time I've encountered a situation like this. That also being said - I'm not farmiliar with all these crazy QuadraDecaQuasiGooglehedroncube terms LOL ;)

What about focusing on the overall shape and description?

I asked if it changes shape when mixed, then answer is yes..

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Last edited by Pembo on Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:26 pm 

I just read in the thread (your question and mine were similar) and the answer is that when it's mixed up it DOES change shape...

I kind of wonder if there's a name for what he's calling it that we could accurately enough describe it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:03 pm 

Question suggestion: Can it be made just by truncating (and adding a new surface if necessary after truncation) and restickering the NxNxN?

Hmm, first he says nobody has made it and now he says he's gonna show pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:06 pm 

That would be my question. Are the current pictures available CAD drawings or was this puzzle made out of paper, cardboard, plastic, wood, etc? This would need to be rephrased into a yes/no question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:11 pm 

I will help you all out a little. I have made one. this is the way i am revealing it. by making everyone guess what i have made

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:20 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Question suggestion: Can it be made just by truncating (and adding a new surface if necessary after truncation) and restickering the NxNxN?

Then yes would mean that and no would mean that it involves some kind of "revealing" (like the diving dodecahedron, overlapping cube and pretender?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:28 pm 

hmm, it doesn't have between 1-15 sides.. and not above 20.. and it can't be a "ball" because that wouldn't change shape while scrambling. and it must be either a 2x2x2-mech or a 4x4x4-mech :S

edit: and it's not any type of revealing-the-inner-mech type of puzzle :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:57 pm 

remember if no one guesses correctly and all of the questions are gone you can still win a prize by being one of the people who made a guess. so put in your guess and see if you get it correct if not you still have a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 pm 

does anybody know how many questions left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:16 am 

pHeTe wrote:
hmm, it doesn't have between 1-15 sides.. and not above 20.. and it can't be a "ball" because that wouldn't change shape while scrambling. and it must be either a 2x2x2-mech or a 4x4x4-mech :S

edit: and it's not any type of revealing-the-inner-mech type of puzzle :D

It is said to have more than 10, but less than 20 faces, and not a number between 11 and 15 (so there might be apossibility that it is 11 or 15 faces, unlikely to my opinion, but there is the posibility...)

Yeah, because it cannot be 1x1x1 since it can't change shape :P