Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best 4x4x4 Cube?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:32 pm 

There are so many different 4x4x4 cubes to choose from.
I am in the market for one but I just don't know which kind to buy. Rubik's? East Sheen? A Studio 4x4x4? A Mefferts one? Can anyone give me feedback on any of them/all of them?

Btw, it's good to finally be a member. :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:21 am 

The type of 4x4x4 that mefferts sell is Eastsheen, and for all I know the Rubik's and Studio are the same, but could have some small differences as type of plastic used (I might be wrong about Rubik's/Studio, but then there will be a comment on that by someone else :P)

I have a Eastsheen and a Studio, and I prefer the Eastsheen, because it is lighter, easier to turn and doesn't pop for me.
I might ad that I don't use any of them for speedcubing, as for that I might get a better cube using the studio after a good "breaking in" as I believe many around here does...

So, basicaly you have to decide for what you are going to use it (just solving, or sped) and from there decide with the help of our comments (or you could get one of each and try out yourself what suits you best)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:05 am 

Sniph, remember me? :)

IMO, Eastsheen is better because its size is closer to the normal 3x3. And it turns very nicely. Somehow, though, I had a center cap fall off in a solve. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:05 pm 

Hi :)

The bigger Eastsheens are locking far too much for serious speeding. And also the Eastsheen 5x5x5 is a popping machine when it becomes loose. However for bandaging/modding they are probably better than rubiks.com versions. Eastsheen 2x2x2 is superior to rubiks.com 2x2x2. Rubiks.com 4x4x4 and Studio 4x4x4 are the same design and size and so on. I still believe that the molding of the Studio version is superior, more accurate. This could just be a coincidence of course. Others may have different experience.

-Per