Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I want a specially designed *big* 3x3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:03 am 

Due to my lack of luck in getting specific people to help me on this one, I'll open it up to everybody.

I'm about to start a robotics project for school, involving a moterized 3x3 cube. Bacially, I did a robotic solver a couple years ago (that could crank out a cube in 9.6s after it scans the colors and was only <$200), and would like to revisit it by making a cube that has all the electronics crammed inside. So *a cube that solves itself* if mixed up, left on a table and someone hits a certain solve button.

Anyways I don't have time to do the plastics construction, and was wondering if any of you would like the job. The mechanism would be different of course and it would be something like 150% to 200% the nomral size but also somewhat light and certainly hollow. The inside of edge pieces need to be rounded instead of pointing inward square and things like that.

It doesn't hav eto look good, it just has to function. There would be no wiring involved, and I would need it done in about 1 mont's time at the latest to give me and my team a month to put in the actuators and optical encoders. It can be done mostly with black ABS sheets and a few power tools I think.

Anyone want to help? I have a grant for the project with a minimum of $800 and could be as much as $2000, and I could stipend a part of that for this "contracted job". Oh and did I fail to mention... the stickers need to be replaced by translucent tiles and have color LEDs underneth,... ya... o_O thus external facets need to be bore in a bit.

I'm thinking very thin hollow cylinders for the axels for some of the electronics. I can definately do all the electronics and wiring so please don't question that part of it. I really just need somebody to do the plastics stuff.

-Doug

averages => 2x2 - 10.02, 3x3 - 22.16, 4x4 - 1:40.63, 5x5 - 2:22.60
single attempts => 4x4 - 1:21.78, 5x5 - 2:05.11, magic - 1.38, master magic - 5.03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:09 am 

After confering with someone else on this.... does anyone here have one of those big novelty cubes? I'd still need to moddify it, and so it would be best if someone more proficent at plastics could do that.

single attempts => 4x4 - 1:21.78, 5x5 - 2:05.11, magic - 1.38, master magic - 5.03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:46 pm 

What you speak of is very interesting and I hope you complete it. Rounding off the edge pieces (inside) would not be a problem. I am not sure however what else you would require. You speak of hollow cylinders for the axels but I don't quite understand how they fit in with an existing mechanism. I assume you turn each side by rotating it's centre. Are you confident you can generate enough torque to do that and what happens if there is a slight misalignment? I have found that larger cubes are less forgiving than regular ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:57 am 

Note: this post contains a fair bit of technical information.

Could someone suggest a fair market price for one of these? I am not an experienced collector whatsoever.

This was an after-though thanks to Evan Gates. Originally I was going to build one from scratch using black ABS sheets. The dimensions that would keep my project well under budget and make it easier to make deadlines would be a cube that is similar in dimension to those giant cubes. So using it as a base is a good shortcut.

I have already gotten a few offers from within the country, thus I do not need anything from abroad, I think. I need 2 or 3 though. I already have a donation for one offered to me.

I am very curious though, where are those cubes sold/found? I couldn't find any on e-bay currently, but did get the chance to play with one at the Tornoto championship (I think it was JasonH's) and one at the TN event (not sure who's that was, maybe Frank's or DanK's...).

I think I'm going to be spending $36 per micro-motor for this... Since I only need 5 or 6 bits of rotary encoding, I think I can build something from scratch for that. I will also need to put in a shpherical plexiglax or other transparent material inside so that I can get 20 uni-directional IR device-addressed connections. I was speaking of an over-sized hollow cylinder to replace the axels to use for lowering inertia and perhaps allow room for the motor aseemblies. Also, there would be no kernal piece. I have 54 special LEDs that can tranmit in all 6 colors and button batteries to power each of the 20 pieces individually, as well as some power supply for the core procoessor. The remote controlling module will all so feature some pico-processor and take information from the cube as well as transmit information to the cube using a strong radio link.

The electronics will feature an "anti-lockup protocal" that I have been working on for the past 17 months as well as a 2-stage pipelined feature that will allow for "automated triggers".

The second mode of the operation will feature something similar to a "force-feedback joystick" as to simulate springs on the layers so that a small tap would be rebound and cause the LEDs to cycle appropriately as well as send a control signal to the remote..... which just to be funny I think I will chop off the end of an Nintendo64 controller for (they have 3 wires and make for an interesting serial interfacing challenge).

I have plenty of experience doing this sort of thing. So I'm fairly confident. I have however yet to recruit 4 other studetns for this project :(. It seems people want to work either a submarine, an MP3 player, or solar car micro-controller....

It is possible once this project is over that I can offer it for sale... wouldn't that be interesting...? This project is expected to last until the end of December and include a lengthy report and user's manual.

-Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:36 am 

I've envisaged something similar to this before. except my vision was much more hardcore:

Imagine this: a rubiks cube, with internal micromotors to turn each face. Power to these would then be supplied wirelessly - think back to Nikola tesla's work on wireless electricity - have an induction coil inside a piece, and a mini external tesla coil to provide power. A camera outside would then scan the pieces, and compute a solution, which would then be wirelessly transfered to a microcontroller inside the cube to control the motors. All this happening, while the cube is levitating - have a solid iron centre piece, and have an electromagnet being pulse width modulated, so the cube is attracted, then drops a bit, then attracted again. And to top it off, have it movable like a normal cube, so any person can just scramble, pop it in the contraption, and watch it being solved just like that XD
This will probably be my final uni project, in 5 years time :o
Hehe^^ I just noticed that this encompasses all my interests - electrical and mechanical systems, and cubing

Just my $0.02

Wilson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:32 am 

I bought a giant rubik's cube on ebay, it was about 10 cm sided, very smooth, and good quality, you can try to search another one on ebay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:12 am 

Telsa was also a very very very ______ed up man. He cut off his man dangly so he could concentrate on his work.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:03 am 

meh, who cares what tesla did to himself, think of what he's done for US - AC power, radio, motors, etc. And regardless of his 'peculiarities' his ideas are ingenious, and most of them work! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:22 pm 

In terms of selling a final product, I would be more interested in a cube that can scramble itself than one that can solve itself :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:46 am 

Can someone here offer me info on what a fair price would be for one?

I am of course willing to go beyond that price, but this would be the first time I'm buying a puzzle from someone else so I want to be somewhat knowledgeable.

I think it is listed in the database as "Jumbo Magic Cube", but it does not offer price info or origin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:21 am 

Hello Doug!

Some weeks ago I bought this Jumbo cube.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

When I had contact with the seller, she said, that the was simple reselling items like this puzzle. Maybe, if you contact her, she is able to acquire one or more of them and sell them to you.

Best regards - Frank

Post subject: Jumbo Cube
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:35 pm 

I have one if you would like it. It works GREAT. Tell me if you want to trade something or buy it from me?

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:02 am 

Here you go my friend.Bought one myself, and it ain't too pricey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTRA-LARGE-RUBIK-C ... dZViewItem
only 1 left so hurry up lol.