Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: braille cubes on ebay
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:26 am 

i won (buy it now) one of these. you can remove the listing if needed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

it is another version of a blindmans cube. i want to inform everyone that they use the cheap knock off magic tiled cubes with braile stickers on them. this puzzle isnt worth anything to me it is already broken on the insides. not due to shipping or anything but due to the crap quality of the puzzle itself. dont buy one it is a waist of your money.

if people dont know i already have about 4 or 5 different versions of blindmans puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:12 pm 

Thank you Adam for this post. I was tempted to buy one. But now I will wait till I find Braille stickers to make one myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:26 pm 

Some good news about this austion. I was able to communicate with the person doing this auction. she sent me a message that said she would send me another set of stickers so i can place them onto another good cube. i asked if she would be willing to sell just those stickers for others. i am still waiting to hear back from her. if she can do that you all might be able to get a braille sticker for a cube for cheap. i will let everyone know when i find out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:44 pm 

Interesting though, is she actually giving all the profits/sales to that charity?

I dunno the situation, but maybe she's not really a rubik's seller perse, but just trying to raise money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:22 pm 

i bought one not buy it now $40, including shipping. i can't believe i got ripped off from a donation place :( :( :( . yea they suck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:48 pm 

well here is the actual message that i got from her

Hello, thank you for the possitive feed back. We used the word like in our listing. Real rubik's cubes are expensive and we are trying to raise money from items that we can adapt for the blind. I am the Director of Deaf Blind Services and I am not paid, I'm a volunteer. We are strugling just to get rent for the office, which has cracks in the floor so bad that we are afraid the city may close the building. The cracks are so bad that they have become a tripping hazard for both my self and my clients. We are hoping that the ebay thing will grow enough money to get us a new and safer office. I can send you the braille stickers just send a message to my email with you address and i will mail them out.
Thank You,
Beth Koenig

i will let you decipher what it means. anyways i still havent heard back if she can make multiples of them for more people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:15 am 

It sounds like a) she's willing to send you the braille stickers (perhaps for a price), b) her clientele is blind, and c) the floor is unsafe even for her, so imagine how bad it would be for her clients? I suppose you could always go to a local chapter of whatever charities help blind people (in Canada it's the Canadian National Institute for the Blind [www.CNIB.org]) and ask them if they have a dymo tape labeller which prints in Braille and make up whatever you want. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:02 pm 

Hello, I am the one that is selling the cubes for the blind on ebay. I developed the product myself to raise money and provide blind and deafblind children with something to play with that is mentally stimualating. Unforchanaty the quality of the cubes has been a problem but they were the only cubes we could find wholesale. Also I am waiting on more labeling matterial after which I will make the labels and send them to the two people who requested them. I am thinking of selling just the labels to hobbist as I know quality matters when collecting things. I'm not a bad person and I don't want to rip of anyone. I am simply tring to raise funds for the organization. This is one of the only products that we have had problems with. I would really like feed back on this issue and what kinds of things can be done to improve the product.
Thank You,
Bethko@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:17 pm 

Bethko,
This is a lovely idea. I would like to buy a set of your stickers.
Carter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:51 pm 

Bethko wrote:
Hello, I am the one that is selling the cubes for the blind on ebay. I developed the product myself to raise money and provide blind and deafblind children with something to play with that is mentally stimualating. Unforchanaty the quality of the cubes has been a problem but they were the only cubes we could find wholesale. Also I am waiting on more labeling matterial after which I will make the labels and send them to the two people who requested them. I am thinking of selling just the labels to hobbist as I know quality matters when collecting things. I'm not a bad person and I don't want to rip of anyone. I am simply tring to raise funds for the organization. This is one of the only products that we have had problems with. I would really like feed back on this issue and what kinds of things can be done to improve the product.
Thank You,
Bethko@gmail.com

I was one of the persons who requested them and I got my stickers today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:42 pm 

i got a replacement set to go onto a real cube as well. they are ok. a bit hard to feel. nowhere near the blindmans cubes that i have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 pm 

I agree, Adam, but then we aren't blind. I have a blind friend for whom this is like the normal reading/feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:57 am 

yea my mom works with the blind and i got a thicker set from her. but she did say that anyone who was born blind will beable to feel those stickers and beable to tell what they are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:22 pm 

I am into the blind cube because a few years ago I got Lasik. I figured that if for some reason I went Blind that I would still be able to play with my cube. so far I have at least 4 cubes with different variations to solve blindfolded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:38 am 

The best so far for myself is the Hungarian one by Politoys that I am able to solve under the desk like a normal cube, although it took some time back in 1985 when I got it to use my fingers to "see" the colors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:37 pm 

Bethko wrote:
Thank You,
Bethko@gmail.com

Hi Beth,

I recommend that you contact cubesmith . He makes stickers, and may be able to make you different kinds of braille or blindman stickers.

Good luck,

David J