Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Number 14 and 6 tile "Create the Cube"
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:59 pm 

I am offering these puzzles for sale for a limited time.

The prices of the puzzles are as follows:
Magic Number 14 is 80USD
6 tile "Create the Cube" is 40USD
Both puzzles together are 110USD <--- Best Deal!

FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!

I will fill the orders as they are received; I estimate 2-3 weeks to get the first puzzles completed. I also have a couple of rubiks cube mods in progress that I will offer for sale in a similar manner, hopefully by the end of the month. Stay tuned!

Attachments:
Magic Number 14 (Front).JPG
Magic Number 14 (Front).JPG [ 32.72 KiB | Viewed 2518 times ]
Magic Number 14 (Solved).JPG
Magic Number 14 (Solved).JPG [ 34.02 KiB | Viewed 2518 times ]
6 Tile Create the Cube (Front).JPG
6 Tile Create the Cube (Front).JPG [ 34.77 KiB | Viewed 2519 times ]
6 Tile Create the Cube (Solved).JPG
6 Tile Create the Cube (Solved).JPG [ 27.93 KiB | Viewed 2519 times ]

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:55 am 

hi,do you have any more pictures of the magic 6

Post subject: string for 6 tiles create the cube
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:57 pm 

Hi,
good job !
I guess the string way is not the std one, because I never managed to create a cube with a 6 tiles magic stringed in std .

May be it is a 4 tiles with 2 added tiles stringed separately ?
Am i right ?
I'm also creating some magics, would you be ok for a swap for your 2 creations ?

If you want to see my collection of magics (more then 45 now) i may send you some pictures. Do you have a picture of yours ?

Thanks.

JLM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:49 pm 

JLM:
If you have 40+ styles of magics, I think many of us at this formum would like to see pictures. I know I would!
Regards, Chuck

Post subject: Re: string for 6 tiles create the cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:59 am 

rubik_fr wrote:
Hi,
good job !
I guess the string way is not the std one, because I never managed to create a cube with a 6 tiles magic stringed in std .

True. I have done a lot of testing to make sure that the strings will not come out.
I shared the stringing style with Puzzlemaster, and I am glad that he verified the efficiency! :D

When going from cube to flat and from flat to cube, this type of stringing forces the magic to "snap" into place!
The worst thing that could happen (but not very often), is a string to be very slightly misplaced, but very easy to put back again! ;)
(now compare this with a total string mess by using a normal configuration LOL)

rubik_fr wrote:
May be it is a 4 tiles with 2 added tiles stringed separately ?
Am i right ?

No no no.... it is a closed loop. No separate open loops! :)
The move is the "secret cube move" that Guus Razoux Schultz had first found in the past (many thanks to Juozas for the reference!). I used the same way for my Magic Dino Cube.

Click HERE to view a video and see how it works! ;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:23 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
When going from cube to flat and from flat to cube, this type of stringing forces the magic to "snap" into place!
The worst thing that could happen (but not very often), is a string to be very slightly misplaced, but very easy to put back again! ;)
(now compare this with a total string mess by using a normal configuration LOL)

Would your stringing also make a normal magic more robust? Or is it just good for that cube trick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:38 am 

Hi Stefan,

I have a way of stringing that if you want to know I'll explain and the day after I did it I got a 1.00.

Craig

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:08 am 

StefanPochmann wrote:
Would your stringing also make a normal magic more robust? Or is it just good for that cube trick?

When you solve such a magic it feels more stiff but more solid too.

There are 12 strings in total (double stringing, using a different way to the rubiks magic), and if you use 6 strings in total instead (single stringing, only one way to do this), the magic seems to move much faster as it feels more "loose".

I am not into speedsolving of any kind, but I feel a loose puzzle is better for speed than a stiff one! :)

In other words, my stringing technique is nice for the secret cube move, not for speed solving. For speed solving, you probably need to use minimum strings.

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:20 am 

Pantazis: is your way maybe to just start two strings at every tile (one on each side) instead of four at every second tile? Or how does it differ? That's what I've been doing since I've read Tim's comment about more balanced stringing a while ago. Oh, and I've always used double stringing.

Craig: if you can describe it quickly, go on, if not, it's probably not worth it (since I retired already anyway so my curiosity is more of a theoretical than practical nature). Do you use double stringing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:15 am 

StefanPochmann wrote:
Pantazis: is your way maybe to just start two strings at every tile (one on each side) instead of four at every second tile? Or how does it differ? That's what I've been doing since I've read Tim's comment about more balanced stringing a while ago. Oh, and I've always used double stringing.

Actually, for some reason I find it hard to understand the old notation (my mind can get stuck in some cases and it is too stubborn to go on), so I give some description of what I did.

The stringing method is made of two "circles". The order below must be strictly followed:

Circle 1:
stringing the 1st to the 2nd and then 3rd (front and back)
Then,
stringing the 3rd to the 4th and then 5th (front and back)
Then,
stringing the 5th to the 6th and then 1st (front and back)
Then,

Circle 2:
stringing the 2nd to the 3rd and then 4th (front and back)
Then,
stringing the 4th to the 5th and then 6th (front and back)
Then,
stringing the 6th to the 1st and then 2nd (front and back)

This creates two "circles", that traps each and everyone (except one! - but that is ok) of the "3-tile open loop magics" of each stringing. I may place some pictures, but it will take time to make them.

:)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:29 pm 

thanks a lot for your description Pantazis :D
I will try this week-end to see how it works.
I have always thinking about creating a cube with an only 6 tiles magic but no way yet. :cry:
So , I will let you know tomorrow.
Stefan : if you try as well, let us know your feeling. But I don't think it could be used for a speedmagic, what do you think ?
JLM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:37 pm 

Ah, ok... thanks. I've so far done the 4x2 this way and the 6x2 similar:

1+2+3 front and back, then
6+7+8 front and back, then
7+8+1 front and back, then
8+1+2 front and back

Is there a specific reason you split it into those two large parts? Or would "my" way also work for the 3x2?

I think more than the pattern itself, the tiles and strings determine how the magic feels. I.e. how old/used they are. I've strung many 4x2s the same way and they feel quite different.

I haven't tried speedsolving a magic with single strings, but I imagine it would feel to "instable" to me. Whenever a string breaks I replace it before playing with the magic again because it becomes too flexible with a missing string.

Post subject: stringing method
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:42 am 

stefan, your method is the one from rubik, seen on the video in the web site.
It's also the one I use for all my customs. Depending of the thickness of the paper you put inside tiles , the feeling may be quite different, you're right.
Another thing is the way you replace the string on the new magic if they come from another one and they are not "virgin" ones. I mean, if you respect the way they are already folded or not, the behavior of the new magic may be quite different. That's why I think it is more than necessary to play with it for a while before seeing its definitive behavior.
The Jaap method, stringing three tiles with double strings on each side and only on odd panels is an old one used by rubik on some old 8 link the rings and also on the small 8 magics with 40mm tiles. Personnally, I prefer the new rubik one, because it is better balanced between tiles and you have not too much strings in one single groove.
I have made a 2x3 with our method (123, 234, ...,678,781,812)and tried to build the cube, but you always reach of stuck position where you can't fold the way needed to reach the cube. That's why the new stringing method from pantazis may solve this pb, I will try before this evening.

Post subject: magic 2x3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:42 pm 

Hi,
I've just finished and practised the stringing for this very special 2x3 magic so to create a cube ... and it works well. But it seems I have not exactly the same solution as the video. :?:
The heart of this special move seems to be able to fold one tile on its second direction though it can not be put directly flat on the aside panel.
The key is the elasticity of the strings which allow that , but it's quite difficult to dare to "force" it the first time you do it. :?

Anyway I have to study that a little bit more.
Thanks Pantazis. :)

Post subject: Re: magic 2x3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 am 

StefanPochmann wrote:
Is there a specific reason you split it into those two large parts? Or would "my" way also work for the 3x2?

Well, the two large string-circles make sure the pressure is spread *twice* along the magic. And having one on top of the other, ensures that one supports the second!
This is my explanation, I have no proven theoretical basis yet, but the experimental part was successful! :)

StefanPochmann wrote:
I haven't tried speedsolving a magic with single strings, but I imagine it would feel to "instable" to me. Whenever a string breaks I replace it before playing with the magic again because it becomes too flexible with a missing string.

Hmm... maybe you should try... you never know! :P
(unstable or not, a few tries with a single-stringed magic may lead to some unofficial record LOL)

rubik_fr wrote:
Hi, I've just finished and practised the stringing for this very special 2x3 magic so to create a cube ... and it works well. But it seems I have not exactly the same solution as the video. :?:

true, there are various ways to solve it. In fact, the 6-tile is much more complex than people think!
I would actually suggest for people to first try a 4-tile and an 8-tile magic, before trying a 6-tile! ;)

rubik_fr wrote:
The heart of this special move seems to be able to fold one tile on its second direction though it can not be put directly flat on the aside panel.
The key is the elasticity of the strings which allow that , but it's quite difficult to dare to "force" it the first time you do it. :?
Anyway I have to study that a little bit more.
Thanks Pantazis. :)

Indeed, there are sensible ways to move a magic and there are ways that the magic can be destroyed if forced.

Regardelss whether the move is easy or not, the strings will not be damaged as long as the move makes sense. And yes, to master such sensible moves without forcing the magic to go to wrong directions, does need some practice! ;)

Thanks for testing this stringing method rubik_fr, it is always nice to have more than one opinions! :)

Pantazis

PS Puzzlemaster42... apologies for hijacking your thread...! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:51 pm 

Only 1 more week to order your puzzles!

For those that have already ordered, I will be getting the parts in this week and should be able to complete the orders by the automnal equinox.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!