Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Quality and Price Megaminx.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:27 am 

Where can I find a really high quality and nicely priced Megaminx. Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:24 am 

Meffert's

Attachments:
P1020274.jpg
P1020274.jpg [ 171.88 KiB | Viewed 1505 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:05 am 

I heard the tiles pop off the mega on the right (meffert's) easily. An frequently.

Apok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:05 am 

I have a mefferts, and ive had no tiles ever pop off. Some of them did come slightly misaligned on the piece, but they were never a problem and have yet to fall off once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:24 am 

Hmmm, did you get yours recently Ryan? I know i've heard testimony about the problem, maybe the news made it to Meffert and he improved them?

As far as puzzle quality, I hear the Meffert mega's are the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:30 am 

i got mine about 3-4 months ago. Not too long, but i haven't really used mine too vigorously. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:53 am 

I got mine December of 05 or January of 06. I've had two tiles pop, and just a small dab of super glue and they are back on and fine.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:17 pm 

xcool wrote:
I got mine December of 05 or January of 06. I've had two tiles pop, and just a small dab of super glue and they are back on and fine.

agreed... tiles have always been a fav of mine, just for that reason. the mechanism is great! turns smooth (even better lubed properly) and is worth it.

i bought one about 2 years ago and another a few months ago. both excellent pieces. I did also get their 6 colored version, but that's with the stickers - now they come off a bit easier than i'd like to happen :(.

"Rubik" - did you not have megaminx's to sell as well? correct me if i'm wrong :oops:

hmmm, i wonder what Stephan Pochmann uses? :D :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:07 pm 

reeeech wrote:
hmmm, i wonder what Stephan Pochmann uses?

I don't know. But Stefan Pochmann uses the tiled Meffert ones. He has four, bought about a year ago, and never had a loose tile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:55 pm 

I got one right when they switched to the new tiles and I had to reglue at least half of them. I think it's just because I had an early one. It sounds like they got a lot of complaints and took care of the issue.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:41 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
reeeech wrote:
hmmm, i wonder what Stephan Pochmann uses?

I don't know. But Stefan Pochmann uses the tiled Meffert ones. He has four, bought about a year ago, and never had a loose tile.
I hear that guy talks in the third person quite often.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:20 am 

I bought a Mefferts Megaminx two weeks ago, and I am very pleased with it.
No pops either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:23 pm 

R.E.T. wrote:
Maybe he's a multiple personality. There's Stephan, Mr. Pochman, and Stephan Pochman. I'm sure if we need Stephan or Mr. Pochman to get in touch with Stephan Pochman for advise he would be more then happy to do so for us.

I think the point he was trying to make is that his name's SteFan, not StePHan. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:25 pm 

R.E.T. wrote:
Well gee Tim, Thank you for pointing that out. Doesn't anyone recognize a joke when they see one.

Look I am not trying to flame, or have a go at anyone, but I think it was actually Stefan making the joke, and you didn't recognise it?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:51 pm 

I got my megaminx from mefferts a week or so ago. I am pleased with the quality of the puzzle and its tiles, but the tension was set too tightly. Right now, I'm trying to find a way to prepare for speedsolving but am not sure how. Any tips. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:40 pm 

Hey guys, let's give the back biting a break. There's still a lot of edginess from the prior thread, so let's not snap at each other so soon and jump to conclusions. This is supposed to be a friendly place so just let it go for everyone's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:07 pm 

yes. let's keep the peace :)

i'll start - SteFan, sorry i mispelt your name. i guess i had seen the spelling stephan a long time ago and it stuck. i apoligize ;) i'm sure you were just making that statement, because 1) you were joking and/or 2) tired of seeing that spelling referring to you.

I can completly understand as i have a brother named Steven. and many a times people spelled his name Stephan.

-----------

on a side note: i don't think any of are english majors nor is this a report sent to higher ups that require precise writing... so i'm sure spelling mistakes are frequent and joking/sarcasm may be taken the wrong way.

i was on a forum loooong time ago, and left because of stupid misunderstandings. now i haven't joined one since then, and well i LIKE it here and don't want to leave. I really hope everyone can sit back and take a breath. just let it be and lets continue where we left off before this odd crazy day happened... ugh, it's like over 100 degrees today! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:50 pm 

I only have megaminx clone for sell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:30 am 

i purchased a mefferts megaminx and was amazed with the quality of the mech, so smooth, and the tiles are great. i recently bought a cheap megaminx clone, just cos it was cheap, waste of money even at that price, movement is worse than terrible and comes with cheap stickers to match. i say if you want a megaminx, may as well get a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 am 

Andy,

Where did you find a Megaminx Clone with stickers? I'm only aware of the tiled clone. Do you have any pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:08 pm 

why cant mefferts and cubesmith merge and create the ultimate megaminx?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:22 am 

andyholloway wrote:
i purchased a mefferts megaminx and was amazed with the quality of the mech, so smooth, and the tiles are great. i recently bought a cheap megaminx clone, just cos it was cheap, waste of money even at that price, movement is worse than terrible and comes with cheap stickers to match. i say if you want a megaminx, may as well get a good one.

Sounds like my experience with the new Dogic. I just ordered a new one from Meffert's which I picked up on Monday [yay! :-)]. 2, actually... a 12 colour version and a 20 colour. I mixed up the 12 colour version exactly once. Turning it even once, I knew right away that it wasn't a German Dogic. It looks pretty enough, but the FEEL of it just SCREAMED out "cheap clone cube!". It constantly felt like things were misaligning inside the puzzle and it popped 3 times by the time I solved it. The first 2 times were merely centre piece pops, but the third one was really spectacular. Even though by that time I was taking great care to align everything exactly right and was taking multiple seconds to make each turn taking great care at every step of the way, 5 pieces popped out and exploded across the room... 3 centres, a corner, and a stabiliser! :shock: I don't think I should repeat my comments here. I'm hoping that this one is simply a poor aberration out of a standard Meffert's quality run, bit I'm really not in a big hurry to be buying any more to find out. Unless I find out otherwise somehow, I'd say the glory days of the Dogic are gone for good. RIP Dogic (whenever Hendrik started selling them) - (whenever he stopped). L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:26 am 

Tim Browne wrote:
Turning it even once, I knew right away that it wasn't a German Dogic.

What is a German Dogic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:39 am 

qoou wrote:
why cant mefferts and cubesmith merge and create the ultimate megaminx?

Well, despite my experiences with the Dogic, I've got to say that Meffert's already has the ultimate Megaminx. After playing with it for a few days, I've got to say that that, at least, is insanely solidly built. The tiles on the Professor's Cube seem to be falling off left and right, but on the Megaminx they appear to be there to stay. The turning on it appears to be pretty nice too, if a bit stiff right now. It IS brand new, after all. I'm trying to develop my own semi-speed solving technique for it... my recognition on it sucks right now, of course, since I haven't played with one of these regularly in about 5 years (since the stickers started falling off of my Hungarian Nova), but I'm sure that that will improve in time. I've been counting up the turns that it would take me to solve it. On the way to work today, I did it in 305 turns on a 2/5ths face turn metric, usually getting about 65 turns for F2L (top face plus the surrounding edges). I'm not sure how good that is, but it certainly beats my half turn slice metric on the Professor's Cube, and even on the Revenge. I've been playing with the Professor's Cube almost every day for years, so I'm happy with my Megaminx performance for now. :) L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 pm 

but the megaminx would be the ultimate megaminx.

kick ass stickers with a kickass puzzle. wht more could you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:35 pm 

georges wrote:
Tim Browne wrote:
Turning it even once, I knew right away that it wasn't a German Dogic.

What is a German Dogic?

The one that Hendrik used to sell. Wasn't that one German made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:08 pm 

qoou wrote:

I think I prefer the tiles. But beat me with a stickered one and I might change my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:12 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
qoou wrote:

I think I prefer the tiles. But beat me with a stickered one and I might change my opinion.
We all know that's not going to happen any time soon. You're a good 20+ seconds ahead of everyone.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 pm 

Yes, I am in the same group... I prefer tiles over stickers. I'm faster as well, because my tiles stay put on my megaminx... my stickered one (6 colors) has a few that came off. so even more harder to solve :(