Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tony Fisher's (signed) ICOSAHEDRON auction
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:40 pm 

On Wednesday 12th July a 10 day auction starts for another one of my Icosahedron remakes. I feel as though I've been signing puzzles for a long time now but this is actually the first Icosahedron I've signed. I am still slightly uneasy with it but people tell me that's what they want.

Attachments:
15 icos low.jpg
15 icos low.jpg [ 96.29 KiB | Viewed 8000 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:12 pm 

Tony, what type of adhesive sheet do you use for stickering your puzzles. Your stickers always seem to almost glow and stand out on your puzzles. I use contact paper found at hardware stores, yet mine gives my puzzles almost a dull look. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:52 pm 

Tony,
We do want your puzzles signed as they are masterpieces, not just puzzles!
I would definitely like you to sign a container at a Dutch cube day, so please bring that pen with you (or sign a puzzle!).
The comments you read befor were probably posted by people who didn't know your creations.
I personally know how much you dislike signing things. You are a very modest guy and it took me quite a while to convince you to sign my Russian magazine, remember?
Best regards,
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:04 pm 

Tony,

I don't know the history behind this... but I always felt that you signing your work, signifies you liked it and you are authenticating the finished work.

I hope you don't think that people want your signature added to the puzzle just to make it worth more if they re-sell it.

I for one don't ever plan to re-sell your puzzles (or any for that matter). I appreciate you signing them, it signifies to me that it's a Tony Fisher puzzle. It's something meaningful to me.

I asked Adam Z. about signing the Dice Cube. I wanted a modded puzzle by him, and that was the one he felt that was his creation. And it suited it.

These are more than just puzzles. They are artwork, and an artist should sign them :D. None are mass produced and it's all handcrafted, you don't want to go through a lot of work to have it go unnoticed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:26 pm 

The whole signature thing is a little bizarre. Up until about 3 years ago I signed in a completely different way. I have never heard of this before but over the years it gradually changed until it barely existed at all. Often important forms were sent back to me and it was embarrassing in banks etc. I eventually went back to signing the way I did as a teenager. Normally this wouldn't matter but when people wanted me to sign puzzles etc. suddenly my childlike scrawl was there for everyone to see. In addition my personal opinion is that a puzzle looks better without a signature or writing of any sort. Having said that I will continue to sign them and feel flattered that I am asked, and if someone wanted one of my puzzles solely as an investment that is OK by me.

Vadim,
I was reluctant to sign your magazine as I was scared of messing it up.
Hopefully you'll be happy with a pre-signed container for the following reason. You probably aren't aware of the (other) long running problem regarding the way I sign my puzzles. Originally I simply picked up a pen and signed them. The problem with this is even when you use a permanent marker it still rubs off if you want to use the puzzle. To solve the problem I signed them all in advance and then added clear self adhesive film which protects the signature. Unfortunately I discovered that the ink from the marker pen reacts with the glue and the writing becomes fuzzy (but not until several puzzles were mailed out). Now I use an ordinary pen before applying the covering. I am still in the process of sending out replacement stickers but finally I think I have the problems solved. BTW I use the same clear film on all the stickers since it helps to keep them clean and gives that nice finish that Ryan asked about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:29 am 

damn, i dont have 3 hundred dollars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:24 pm 

Here's the video-
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5783551267

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm 

looks amazing nice nice nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm 

8-) :shock: Thanks for showing it being assembled!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:56 pm 

looks great. well it will look great in Reeeech's collection that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:31 pm 

i don't know. i think im gonna try for this one. i've been itching to get a genuine Tony Fisher, and i have a few hundred saved up. wish me luck! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:03 am 

p|astic wrote:
i don't know. i think im gonna try for this one. i've been itching to get a genuine Tony Fisher, and i have a few hundred saved up. wish me luck! lol

fight betweem reech and plastic who is going to win?
lol good luck to all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:09 am 

never count me out as well! i have deep pockets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:28 pm 

i might just try to build one. though, it seems like it would be an extremely difficult build. such that, the tiny pieces that protrude from the main, large plains would take very precise cutting and attaching. maybe i'll try a skewb ultimate first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:33 pm 

Stay cool, I'm also in the game :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:22 pm 

lol well good luck to all this is going to be a good battle :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:45 pm 

I believe ther are actually 14 total pieces to the puzzle including the corners attached to the mechanism. Six Centers, 4 attached corners, and 4 "Floating" corners. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:55 pm 

Ryan Thompson wrote:
I believe ther are actually 14 total pieces to the puzzle including the corners attached to the mechanism. Six Centers, 4 attached corners, and 4 "Floating" corners. :D
Like a normal skewb.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:31 pm 

ok well the auction is on its way lol good luck for all this is going to be a fun battle watch out for that ftxftx guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:48 pm 

ok well less than an hour its up to 94 congrads tony this one will be bringing in the dough :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:51 pm 

wow, i just blew all my dough on 3 skewbs, 30 dollars worth of glue and epoxy, another sheet of plastic, petrol, and 60 dollars worth of whey protein supplement. plus i have a new semester coming up in school (books). i think im out of the race, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 pm 

p|astic wrote:
wow, i just blew all my dough on 3 skewbs, 30 dollars worth of glue and epoxy, another sheet of plastic, petrol, and 60 dollars worth of whey protein supplement. plus i have a new semester coming up in school (books). i think im out of the race, lol.

Nah. Just add it to your student loan. Claim that you need it for a course on group theory and how it relates to the platonic solids. :lol: L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
The whole signature thing is a little bizarre. Up until about 3 years ago I signed in a completely different way. I have never heard of this before but over the years it gradually changed until it barely existed at all. Often important forms were sent back to me and it was embarrassing in banks etc.

Now this is very interesting, Tony. I have similar experiences (--> barely existed at all, banks, ...)
I'm glad I'm not alone with this. I even am unable to sign like I signed 5 years ago, I seem to have forgotten the movements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 am 

Tony can you post the link for everyone to the ebay auction. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:23 am 

=/

here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 pm 

Sorry Adam,

I guess this won't be added to my collection. :( Congrats Frank on the win!

Wow, can't believe it went from 170GPB to 430GPB in less than 10 seconds!

Well, I am enjoying the 2x2x4 I just got in the mail!

Keep up the great work Tony! Whether it be a cuboid or some sort of polyehdra, they're amazing!

Cheers,
Reeeech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:28 pm 

no i'm reeeech lol...

just kidding... just been working for a long time, and now i get to indulge my self a bit. :)

i'm single, so no wife/family to worry about, let alone a house!

i found a passion in collecting that i like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:32 pm 

I've only seen one puzzle go for more than that... It was a Rubik's Domino a few years back. In fact, it was bid on by someone here way back when. Whoever it was was determined to get it bid 1,000US on the last day before heading off to work. When he got home, he found that the auction was over... and it went for $1,025US. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:44 am 

Tony Fisher's overlapping cube went for £539 in May. Worth it if you can afford it, I'd say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:05 pm 

aphid_greene wrote:
Tony Fisher's overlapping cube went for £539 in May. Worth it if you can afford it, I'd say.

hehe yes i remember that clearly!! was outbidded in the last two seconds! i couldn't hit the enter button fast enough :(

amazing, that was right around the same time that the Prototype for the 6x6x6 went up - but with a starting bid of 1,000 USD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:18 pm 

Well, what shall I say?

I'd taken the puzzle also for less money, sure - but the others didn't let me :wink:
This time I decided, that I REALLY wanted it and so I put an according bid on it. Luckily it was enough (again: sorry, reeeech!!)

I wouldn't say, that I'm rich but frankly I must admit, that with my current life and work situation, there's some money left to affort it from time to time. I wouldn't want to do this every week, but if it happens once a month (maximum) to win such an expensive auction, it's possible. Nevertheless I always fight with myself, if a toy is really worth this price. You can see how it ended this time..

- Frank -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:21 pm 

no worries Frank!

I'm sure it was well worth it. I've been very happy with each and every single one of Tony's puzzles :D