Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WTB - Skewb diamond
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:03 pm 

Hi!

I have a Skewb and Skewb Ultimate and thought I should complete the "skewb trilogy" by getting a Skewb diamond. However Mefferts informs me that they're out of stock indefinitely. Their page is apparently not yet updated to reflect this. Does anyone know any other sources for a Skewb diamond? Anyone have an extra they don't mind parting with?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Don Munsil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 pm 

Try Ebay. I'm sorry I have no extras. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:25 am 

Huh that's interesting that you mention this.
Same thing with me.
3 weeks ago I odered skewb diamond and the invoice in the package said out of stock.
I wrote them an email and they said:

"Thanks for your email.

You are correct. We still have stock for the Skewb Diamond but not
Skewb Ultimate. I checked with our Hong Kong WHY stated the
out of stock on the puzzle - Skewb Diamond what you ordered and
got the report that they made a mistake by a new staff who thought
Skewb Ultimate and Skewb Diamond are both out of stock. Thanks
for your note and correction, we very appreciate it indeed.

I already asked them to send you the missing puzzle - 1pc. of Skewb
Diamond by air tomorrow. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience
causing."

When and how did they inform you about it I am wondering now.
Was it after the purchase an email or so?
Cause I ordered something else with it, thats why I had a paper invoice shipped to me. That other item was in the package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:51 am 

LOL!

Who else bought one just now?

I never got around to it before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:52 pm 

Fascinating. That's about the time I ordered mine as well. I'll email them and see if it was just a mistake.

Thanks!

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 pm 

wow, i ordered a skewb diamond about a week ago. we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 am 

I better get a second one right now. They might actually be out of stock tomorrow. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:02 pm 

Here's the reply I got from Mefferts:

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, it is true. We just completed the new production of Skewb Diamond last week. Therefore, you are able to order it now.

Thanks again for your support always!

Best regards,
HAPPY PUZZLING!
Jing Meffert
2008 Remex Center, No. 42 Wong Chuk Hang Road,
Aberdeen, Hong Kong
Tel.: 852 25183080
Fax.: 852 25183282
E-mail: mpg@mefferts.com
Please visit our website: http://www.mefferts.com

So that's good news. Thanks again for the help!

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 pm 

Talk about confused.

I had a very bad first experience with Mefferts, it took me a long time to get them to resend the order which never arrived. It took annother couple months after that for the "lost" parcel to work its way back to them. It did make it back to them, all by itself.

I need some skewbs, I don't have any to play with, plus I want to build a couple skewb mods.

I sent off an email to Mefferts inquiring about a selection of skewbs but I got no reply. I'm not really comfortable just ordering from the site due to the first experience. I must have human verification before and after the order is placed with them because I am not interested in watching the mailbox every single day for 75 days.

It would be nice if we could build up a big batch order like Dodd has done for the Studio Cubes.

I don't need all the skewbs to be in good (visual) condition as long the mechanisms work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:37 pm 

I've ordered from Mefferts three times; first about two years ago to get a Skewb Ultimate and an assembly 3x3x3 cube. Then a couple months ago to get a set of Eastsheen 2x, 4x, and 5x cubes. In both of those cases the orders came promptly -- actually surprisingly promptly, given that we're talking about international parcel shipping.

My most recent order is about 3 weeks old now and still hasn't come, but I'm so far chalking it up to international shipping. If it hasn't come by the end of the week I'll email them for status.

It would be nice if they emailed shipping confirmation, but given that they're almost certainly a very small outfit I'm willing to cut them some slack. Also there really isn't any other source for many of the things they sell.

If you order things via mail, sometimes they get lost. A big company like Amazon can just absorb the losses and reship immediately, but smaller companies often either can't or won't take those losses without exhausting all possibility of the original package making it there on its own.

I wonder just what happens to a package when it's delayed that long. Is it sitting in some post office somewhere? Wouldn't that post office want to get it out of there? Is it stuck in customs? Don't they want to move it along? Where is there a place that can afford to sit on packages for months?

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:07 pm 

I think ordering at mefferts is save. Unlucky that your first experience was unlucky.
I had ordered there lets see... 10 times at least. It always arrived two weeks from order and I live on Kodiak! I said it ones in another topic already I believe, packets from germany over here take 8-12 weeks!
I was only unlucky with the last 2 orders. I ordered a 20 color dogic and got a 12 color one. The solution: They send the 20 color and for paying only another 30 bucks I can keep the 12 color one as well, rather than sending it back for a lot of money.
The second order that didn't go perfectly was this skewb diamond but I can wait the 2 additional weeks.
I guess you shouldn't worry they do a great job and wouldn't let you down or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 pm 

dmunsil wrote:
My most recent order is about 3 weeks old now and still hasn't come, but I'm so far chalking it up to international shipping. If it hasn't come by the end of the week I'll email them for status.

I have to correct this. I just checked PayPal and my most recent order is only 10 days old. Clearly I'm just too impatient! :D

In any case, I've so far had very good results with Mefferts. But I understand - it only takes one frustrating experience to sour you on a company.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:42 pm 

I know Meffert has a good reputation, thus I contacted them about annother purchase, but I must have additional "support" to compensate for my bad experience.

Sometimes problems happen, things get delayed in the mail, some things even get lost; its normal.

What is CRITICAL is the customer service when those things happen.

When I got white cubes without arched centers from Rubiks.com, I wrote to them and got a prompt reply. The reply said that they were sorry and that they would send me replacements when they got them, but that it would be a while. It was a long wait, but I was not worried, because of the service; eventually I got them.

When I had the problem with Mefferts, I didn't find that there was much "customer service" in their response. It seemed like I was somehow responsable for the problem. They were neither prompt nor friendly in the way they handled it. It was so bad that I had contacted my CreditCard company to see about getting the payment revoked, it was. This embolded me and my subsequent email that started off with "This is my last attempt to resolve this directly with you." The got the replacement sent shortly after.

Anyhoo, still no response from the email I sent them about some Skewbs, I must be on a blacklist ;) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 pm 

hmmmm, i've never had a problem with the Meffert's site.

perhaps you have been blacklisted?! lol... j/k but spam filters may do that accidentally - depending on your email type.

i've noticed in my few years that i've bought puzzles from them and any questions i asked via email was replied back by Jing Meffert, rather than Uwe.

i've had more luck with mpg@meffert.com than using mefferts@hotmail.com.

hope sending it to that addy will help.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:44 pm 

Did yours arrive yet dmunsil?
Cause mine still hasn't.
They never sent me an email I am supposed to make a new order or sth.

Post subject: Skewbs
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:08 pm 

I'm hopeful as Steven is that someone from the group can perhaps find a source for the different skewbs and put together an order. I think the interest is there. That would be great as there appears to be problems with Mefferts with the skewbs and they'v been out of ultimate skewb for as long as I can remember.

Post subject: Error
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:10 pm 

Sorry, I meant I'm in agreement with AndrewSeven, not Steven. Apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:54 pm 

Quote:
Did yours arrive yet dmunsil?

Yes, mine came quite a while ago. So I now have the core skewb trio. :)

I actually like having all three. The solutions to each of them are similar, but not the same.

Quote:
I'm hopeful as Steven is that someone from the group can perhaps find a source for the different skewbs and put together an order.

Given that I don't think anyone has ever sold or made the Skewb Ultimate except for Mefferts, I'd just snag a Skewb and Skewb Diamond while you can, and wait for the Skewb Ultimate to be back in production. It says "temporarily out of stock" which suggests they might get it again. You could also email them to see if they have an ETA on when it'll be in stock again.

Shipping is included at Mefferts, so it doesn't matter if you buy puzzles all at once or one at a time. My advice is to get what they've got now, and get the rest later.

So far, I've had no trouble with Mefferts. Everything has come in a reasonable time. I've ordered from them four times now, as I also got a platypus in a separate order.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:10 pm 

dmunsil wrote:
Given that I don't think anyone has ever sold or made the Skewb Ultimate except for Mefferts,

Check this out
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=656

Tony Fisher invented it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:17 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
dmunsil wrote:
Given that I don't think anyone has ever sold or made the Skewb Ultimate except for Mefferts,

Check this out
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=656

Tony Fisher invented it.

No check this out!!!!! He never invented it, I new I read it somewhere and the Database is wrong.

viewtopic.php?t=3628&highlight=skewb+ultimate+%2Atony+fisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:06 pm 

wheres my diamond!? :?

Post subject: Mefferts Diamond Skewb
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:31 am 

Leander, I don't know if this will help or not, but I just got an email reply from jing meffert about the availability of the diamond skewb. They are in stock and available. For those who are interested in a mefferts ultimate skewb jing wrote that they are hoping to have more sometime this year. Leander,I used the email address mpg@mefferts.com to contact jing and heard back within 48 hours. You might want to try emailing about your order.