Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: marketing experiences: buying puzzles from ebay *edit*
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:30 pm 

I just want to share a couple of experiences on ebay...

So far, I had the pleasure to meet many brilliant sellers and acquired many excellent items. In fact, some sellers had captured my heart not only with their words, but with their actions too. :)

However, there is ebay's dark side.

Three years ago, a seller was not responding to my emails for three whole months after I paid and never received an item. So I decided to leave negative feedback to him. A couple of minutes later he returned the favor! (Mathematically speaking, it is very interesting to compare the timing reaction of that seller). :?
And despite explaining the whole farse to ebay, the negative stayed. But it was a good lesson.

Fast forward three years. Five months ago, I bought a custom made puzzle. It was a nice puzzle but the amount of oil on it was shocking. Everythime I used the puzzle I had to wash my hands! The structure of the puzzle made it impossible to clean, it unless completely disassembling it.
Despite that, I decided to buy another custom-made item from the same seller (because it was not available anywhere else). For four months now it has not arrived, although I thought it was insured. It was my fault, but I was polite enough and the worst word I used was the word "shocking" while explaining him the case regarding the previous dirty puzzle. Then he said to not email him again. So I guess I will leave him some negative feedback. I know I will get the same feedback too, but he deserves it because when I tried to think myself in his position, I would be much much more understanding. He said he will not refund etc while I never asked him for a refund and I was only looking for a word of comfort. :roll:

In general I don't mind receiving dirty items, or even damaged items, or even if they arrive very late. But it is the attitude of some ebayers that annoys me. Luckily though, I have met many nice people and even managed to become long term friends with some of them! :D

Finally, I also admit that I did my own blunder once. I misunderstood a second chance offer given by some seller. But back then, I had no idea how it worked and thought that the seller was trying to take advantage of me. :oops:
(still, I kept my cool and complained in a very polite manner)

Anyways, I am sure some of you have your own stories! :wink:

Peter

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention a seller who had a clear picture of a spindle domino in an auction I won, but sent me a groove version. At the time I had no idea of the difference, but that was not an honest thing to do, especially when the seller kept quiet after asking him questions about it. Moreover, the same seller seems to skillfully *hide* in his future auctions the marks that clarify the different domino versions.

I am sure some of you, know exactly what I am talking about.

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 pm 

At some point or another everyone runs into their share of bad or marginal ebay transactions. On eBay the seller has all the power since they're the ones that makes money for eBay. eBay couldn't give a damn about the individual buyer as long as they can keep gouging people for more and more money. Sadly it is about the only medium out there where some things are readily available.

Post subject: Re: marketing experiences: buying puzzles from ebay *edit*
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:38 pm 

If the domino seller was "gawerner", then I really know exactly what you mean. I had bought one from him a while ago and he used the same pictures for another auction later. I wanted to bid on the new auction, too, and asked about pictures of the real domino. Never got a response. He was also very slow responding back when I won mine, went on holidays for two or three weeks without telling me what's going on. And yeah, for low-value items I don't mind (though I personally have never used wrong images for any item) but for expensive ones... bastards who use wrong pics.

I once won a 5x5 from the 80s (was clear from text and picture) but the seller sent me an Eastsheen instead. He's a regular twisty puzzles seller and collector himself so it's not like he doesn't know there's a big difference. Well, he gave me my money back (including return postage after I insisted on it) so I didn't give him feedback cause it wouldn't have been positive and I didn't want to pollute his stats with a neutral one. When he used the same text and picture again in another auction soon after, I asked whether it's now correct or he's still selling an Eastsheen. Eastsheen of course. That earned him the only negative feedback I gave so far.

Post subject: Re: marketing experiences: buying puzzles from ebay *edit*
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:47 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
If the domino seller was "gawerner", then I really know exactly what you mean.

Yes Stefan, you got that name right. There are some sellers that I won't be dealing nor recommend to anyone ever again.

Quote:
I once won a 5x5 from the 80s (was clear from text and picture) but the seller sent me an Eastsheen instead. He's a regular twisty puzzles seller and collector himself so it's not like he doesn't know there's a big difference. Well, he gave me my money back (including return postage after I insisted on it) so I didn't give him feedback cause it wouldn't have been positive and I didn't want to pollute his stats with a neutral one. When he used the same text and picture again in another auction soon after, I asked whether it's now correct or he's still selling an Eastsheen. Eastsheen of course. That earned him the only negative feedback I gave so far.

Wow... he did it twice!!!

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:53 pm 

i bought a square 1 from "buddhajuice". great transaction. he later asked me why they were so "popular", and we got talking about puzzles. he said he had 3 other rubik items laying around, and asked me if i wanted them. of course! he mailed them to me for free. they were only a magic cube, a chex promotional, and a 60's cube. but still, it was a very nice gesture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:25 am 

I bought one of them from mikegre ... and it came with 2 rubiks logos on opposite sides.. he'd obviously not noticed when putting it together :lol: :lol:

Ive bought a lot of stuff from him however, including a lovely sealed rotascope puzzle (a design of which isnt in the database, it has various street-sign type images on the front), and he's always been a really good, helpful seller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am 

nicky_uk wrote:
I bought one of them from mikegre

Yeap! I have also bought a few puzzles from him. He had many orders at the time and even messed up some orders (including mine).

But his continuous emails and support showed a guy with conscience! :)
In the end, he gave me more than I expected!!! Simply brilliant! 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:57 am 

About 4months ago I bought an item from tutsi_frutsi.

I have sent him a looot of messages and I havent received any answer. I never received my packet. I was a good person and I haven't put it a negative feedback, cause I knew that he was a good seller. He has not sell anything in all this time. 2 days ago I saw that he was selling another items, so I wrote him.

He answer me telling a lot of apologizes. His acount haven't work during all this time, and cause I haven't put any feedback, he thought that I had received my item. Without asking, he has refund my money order.

THAT'S A REALLY GOOD SELLER!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Ebay
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:14 am 

I have tried to buy from Tony Fisher, no luck yet. I don't have a bidding grabber. I have bought several times from Stefan Pochmann... only everytime I get the order it smells like bratwurst and beer... he he. Actually he's one of the better ebay puzzle sellers that doesn't do custom work. I bought a Kite cube, I'm very happy with the workmanship in it. Just unhappy that I still have it mixed up. I bought a few other custom puzzles that could have had better workmanship. For example a mock up fisher 2 cube. And a 5 layer square 1. must be careful with the ends.

Post subject: Re: Ebay
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:42 am 

sexualRubiks wrote:
only everytime I get the order it smells like bratwurst and beer... he he.

That's a dirty lie, I detest bratwurst :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:00 am 

how can you tell the difference? Should I send you an image of my Domino so you can discern if it is the good one or not?

Thanks,

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:51 am 

Here is a post where members of this forum describe the differences between spindle and groove dominos:

viewtopic.php?t=3320&highlight=spindle

:)

Peter