Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alexander's Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:05 am 

Hi!

Does anyone have an Alexander's Star with my name on it? :wink: Seriously, I'd really like to own one. I've checked on eBay, but a lot of the sellers only ship to USA :( (I'm from Europe). If anyone is considering selling one, please drop me a PM.

Thanks.
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am 

Hi, Alex,

I do have Alexander's Star for sale, however, since it's very common, may be you could get it from European Puzzle Collectors to save the postage.

Just wanted to remind you that there are two different versions of Alexander's Star -- one with stickers; the other with painted colors.

The ones with stickers usually have problems. Because the stickers are very narrow, they tend to peel off the edges. In addition, many old Alexander's Star's stickers form bubbles (I don't know why).

So, I recommend the one with painted colors. Hope you could find one. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:03 am 

Thanks for replying. I know there are two versions, I've actually considered getting both and maybe even making a sticker variation like Hidetoshi's if (or when :roll:) the original stickers fall of.

Anyway, I've got a few offers now, so I'm sure I'll soon be a proud owner of a nice Star :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:57 pm 

Hi, Alex,

Since you are looking for puzzles that has your name, in addition to the Alexander's Star, here are something you should look for:

Alexander's Gem

Smart Alex

Hey, lucky you, both of those are currently available for auction on eBay... it's actually not the coincidence... I put out the auctions for you. You don't have to buy though... someone else might be interested in those... just thought you might want to know.

Good luck on your hunting of "Alex related" puzzles!!!

p.s. I am reorganizing my display shelves... will have more puzzles out for auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:14 am 

Thanks for the advice but those prices got out of my reach before I even decided to bid on them :roll: Anyway, congratulations on a great auction :)

I've actually decided to try and make the Gem myself. If I can get two pyramorphixes apart without breaking them (and then get them back together), that shouldn't be too difficult :? Any advice is quite welcome, of course.

<---- BTW, how's my new avatar? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:57 am 

I've been wanting to get an Alexander's Star for a while, but I've had a hard time finding one that is painted rather than stickered. Is there an easy way of determining this from the usually low-res auction pics? Did the painted versions come in different packaging or have a different logo or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:20 am 

In my experience, most stars you will find will be stickered. You can tell by the peeling corners but that might be a problem if it is sealed in the package. The only painted one I've seen (check the Twisty database) came in the plastic cylindrical package and the suspended-in-plastic-carton packaging was usually stickered. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:25 pm 

Alex,

I do have a painted Alexander's Star in it's original PAPER package NIB.

I have another sticker one with exactly the same package.

I also have a painted one in cylindrical plastic case.

Does anyone want to see the pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:43 pm 

Inwards,

As I mentioned, both painted and stickered versions came with either paper package or cylindrical plastic case. So, you cannot just look at the packages.

You may judge them by the followings:
-- stickered ones usually peel-off at the tips (very narrow part)
-- stickered ones usually have bubbles
-- painted ones have lighter color along the edge
-- painted ones are not very shiny

The easiest method is... ask the seller!!!

p.s. I believe the one currently sell on eBay for $69 is the painted one. I have download the picture and zoomed in to see the details. I am 95% sure, however, you may want to ask the seller to make sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:00 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I purchased that one on eBay today, so we'll soon see if it is painted or not. I had already asked the seller and although he thought that they were painted, he not 100% sure. And by all means, please share the pics. I'm sure they will help others in their search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm 

Here is a picture of a stickered one. You can see the peeling corners and the bubbles.

Attachments:
AS_stickers.jpg
AS_stickers.jpg [ 51.7 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:08 am 

The order from Mefferts arrived yesterday and I've finished my Alex's gem only a few hours after that. I used two keychain pyramorphixes. Taking them apart was easy enough because the mechanism is exactly like this - just use a small screwdriver to loosen one of the screws and it comes apart easily. I then collected all the center pieces, glued one in place, put the rest in and tightened back the last screw just like when disassembling.

It was late and I was anxious to see the final result, so I was a bit sloppy cutting the stickers and will cut new set later, but here's a picture of what I got right now.

Attachments:
alexs_gem_02.jpg
alexs_gem_02.jpg [ 47.44 KiB | Viewed 1888 times ]