Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for a WWF Earth Masterball
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:34 pm 

Now that I've finally figured out my geomaster, I'd like to try one of the hardest masterballs. I'd like a cat, dragon, or circus, but I think the earth one is the coolest.

please pm me if you can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:51 am 

If you want an equivilant challange just mark half the pieces so you can readily distinguish them. I put foil stars on mine. So solved half of the puzzle has stars and half doesn't you can make some really cool patters with it this way to. I'd really like to get one of the geomasterballs but with half the pieces raised like on the blind mans duo but instead of every other just one half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:16 pm 

Hi wHack,

The blindman's masterball can be made into a half and half. Its like making a Duo half black half white. As a matter of fact, when I put one blindman's on eBay I showed pics of it in different orientations and one was half and half. I should still have the pics somewhere...is that what you had in mind?

Gabe

Attachments:
blindmans masterball half & half.JPG
blindmans masterball half & half.JPG [ 42.84 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:54 am 

No thats the wrong half, and it's not a geo masterball. The geo masterball is the 8 color rainbow version with each slice a different color. The problem is each slice is made from four pieces 2 triangles and 2 squares. the 2 squares being the same color and shape can be switched and you can't tell b/c they are identical, this also hold true for the triangles. So I marked one of the triangles and one of the squares with a star, or they could be raised. This means there are no two identical pices on the whole puzzle.

In case you don't quite get what I mean think of the axis of the masterball that runs between the two rows of squares, now raise or mark all the pieces on one side of this axis.

The beauty of this is all of the patters you can make while still having the colors in the solved positions. It's alot of fun to figure out ways to keep the puzzle solved while changing the patters of raised or marked pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:21 pm 

I misunderstood, there is another variant I made that is closer to what you did. The triangles are different enough that you need the exact piece to match. I could also have used different colors and/or different size triangles or different shapes. The possibilities are endless.

Attachments:
masterball silver triangles.JPG
masterball silver triangles.JPG [ 19.33 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:49 pm 

That sweet but the thing I really like about my variation is that you can solve the standard geo masterball and have different patterns of marked of raised pieces. Like a checkered pattern of raised pieces with the standard color layout, or half raised with standard color layout or any number of others then there are the other color layouts with different raised or marked patterns. Some of these are really difficult to conceptually solve at first and keeps the puzzle interesting and keeps you learning new systems and algorithms. It really let me get a whole lot more milage out of my Masterball which is great because the basic geo-masterball was just to simple for me as I already new the ufo and just reapplied that knowledge