Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x3x2 Rubik's Prism for $75 including shipping
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:10 pm 

I think all twisty forum members will agree that direct offers for puzzles are preferable to ebay for both buyer and seller. So here is my offer:

I will build a 3x3x2 Deluxe Rubik's prism with 1 mm thick tiles for $75 U.S. dollars including shipping world-wide. I can offer both 3x2x2 and 3x3x2 together as a package for $120 including shipping. These will have improved orange and yellow tiles. Payment is via paypal or ikobo to mark@cubeman.org

Attachments:
deluxe-tower-all.jpg
deluxe-tower-all.jpg [ 41.64 KiB | Viewed 914 times ]
3x3x2.jpg
3x3x2.jpg [ 64.19 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:46 am 

what system and materials do you use to makie them??

Post subject: (Semi) Traditional Manufacturing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:26 pm 

This is my 3rd try at making 3x2x2's and my first at making 3x3x2. The core is a 4x4x4 and the extension pieces are black ABS plastic, just like a manufacturered cube. I wanted to use injection molding to make the tiles too but it was just too expensive. I ended up making the tiles by die-cutting polystyrene sheets. There is a significant amount of labour involved, especially for the 3x3x2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:34 am 

Hi Mark :)

I wonder if those puzzles will be suitable for speedcubing ? And is it too much to ask to have the planned tiles for the 3x3x2 look more like the domino design? So that U-layer is one color and D-layer is another color and the tiles on U- and D-face will have those domino dots on them? This can be achieved with tiles :wink: If this is too much trouble i will be interested in the version u have planned. Or even untiled so i can do the domino design myself ...

But really im only interested if they will turn quite nicely as im a speedcuber :roll:

Kind regards,

-Per

Post subject: Speed Solving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:32 am 

This version of the 3x3x2 is robust enough to turn quickly. I've used silicone spray on it and I can make reasonably quick turns. Since it is based on the Rubik's 4x4x4 it is rather jumbo sized at 99mm x 99mm x 66mm and it weighs a bit over 340 grams.

Certainly tiles could be fashioned to make the puzzle look like the Rubik's Domino. It's a lot easier to find white or black plastic than coloured plastic. Maybe some type of transparent overlay could be applied with the dot patterns or just use all black tiles with printed vinyl.

perfredlund wrote:
Hi Mark :)

I wonder if those puzzles will be suitable for speedcubing ? And is it too much to ask to have the planned tiles for the 3x3x2 look more like the domino design? So that U-layer is one color and D-layer is another color and the tiles on U- and D-face will have those domino dots on them? This can be achieved with tiles :wink: If this is too much trouble i will be interested in the version u have planned. Or even untiled so i can do the domino design myself ...

But really im only interested if they will turn quite nicely as im a speedcuber :roll:

Kind regards,

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:47 pm 

you say you used injection molding for the parts did you send off molds or do you have access to injection molding equipment??

Post subject: Re: (Semi) Traditional Manufacturing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:26 pm 

Mark Longridge wrote:
This is my 3rd try at making 3x2x2's and my first at making 3x3x2. The core is a 4x4x4 and the extension pieces are black ABS plastic, just like a manufacturered cube. I wanted to use injection molding to make the tiles too but it was just too expensive. I ended up making the tiles by die-cutting polystyrene sheets. There is a significant amount of labour involved, especially for the 3x3x2.

Mark, is it ok if you let us know about the size of both puzzles? I'm curious bout how big it is, since that it was built from a bandaged 4x4. Thanks~

*same site*

Post subject: Re: (Semi) Traditional Manufacturing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:48 pm 

Hi Joseph,

They are big, not including the tiles the 3x2x2 is 66mm x 66mm x 99mm and the 3x3x2 is 99mm x 99mm x 66 mm.

To answer wHack's question yes I have some access to injection molding and CNC equipment.

I'll post a video of the puzzles being solved later on.

Joseph Liao wrote:
Mark Longridge wrote:

Mark, is it ok if you let us know about the size of both puzzles? I'm curious bout how big it is, since that it was built from a bandaged 4x4. Thanks~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:01 pm 

ok awesome, I'll be looking foward to the videos =]

*same site*