Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone have extra Rubik's 4x4x4 pieces?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:28 pm 

One of my 4x4x4 center pieces snapped before I could even solve it once. I glued it with super glue a few times but it kept breaking. Does anyone have any extra center pieces?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:58 am 

I don't have a spare but i do have some advice...
Hey, come back! It's good advice, I promise!

I had the same problem and I found out the hard way that the kind of plastic that the cubes are made from doesn't work with superglue. Use polystyrene cement (airplane glue) instead. Problem solved! Yay!

Now, I'm off to watch "Hellboy" to see if the reviews were true...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:11 pm 

Thanks I'll try that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:57 pm 

Hi!

I must disagree that normal superglue doesn't work with the plastic on 4x4x4 cubes. It might well be that some other material like special cements is better. But with my cheap UHU superglue i have successfully repaired pieces on both 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes (rubiks.com ones). The important things to remember is to use enough glue and to clean all contact areas between the 2 pieces to be glued. Make sure that u have the 2 pieces contacting such that the foot will be at the correct angle and position compared with an unbroken piece. Wipe off excess glue with a paper. And work reasonably fast. Even if the superglue is dry within a few minutes don't put the piece back inside ur puzzle for at least 4-5 hours. For gluing 5x5x5 centers it's really important that u get the joint right. Use two edges to make sure they slide freely inside ur glued joined center. If the gap between head and foot is too tight on either side u will most likely experience that the center is likely to rotate on turning an inner layer that contains the center. Or else also it might break again. Should it become too tight u can carefully sand down either the head or the foot until the edges slide freely again 8-) It could also become too tight because there is excess glue left there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:31 pm 

https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lv ... vl4=sprrvg

Here you go - "4x4 Replacement Kit".

www.nickylewis.co.uk