Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wanted: Extension-only STLs and flat-piece burrs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:41 pm 

Hello all,

I'm looking to test out a lower-resolution 3D printer with some extension-only STLs (i.e. something like the ghost cube 2x2). Nothing with any sort of mechanism, something that I could glue on to an existing puzzle to shapemod it (some truncation is acceptable). If you have any acceptable STLs that you are willing to offer, I would be glad to hear of them. I may be able to pay a small amount for them, possibly via PayPal but more likely through a copy of the puzzle(s) being made (the printer is somewhat low-res, but I can polish up the faces to make it look pretty). In any case, we can work something via PM.

The second part is more for those who have experience with BurrTools, or Puzzlewillbeplayed.com. I'm looking for burrs with pieces that are only flat. I'll have access to a laser cutter, and I would like to try out making the pieces in acrylic and then using that as a template for routing. The obvious catch is that the pieces all have to be flat in order for the laser cutter to make them (or, I suppose, the pieces need to be able to be made in distinct planar layers, all of equal thickness and of thickness that is equal to the size of the 'grooves' of the puzzle). I am already planning on making a puzzle with around 200 151.4mm square waste pieces, which is a sunk cost as far as I'm concerned, so I can again offer you a copy of the design as an honorarium to begin - probably in an acrylic or similar plastic, but possibly in wood. We can always work something out via PM.

If you have any thoughts or files, please let me know either via PM or via Facebook.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Wanted: Extension-only STLs and flat-piece burrs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 am 

Unfortunately all of my extensions are designed to give a minimal cost on Shapweays i.e. hollow pieces with thin walls, which I doubt are printable on your 3D printer. They would have to be extensively modified before you could use them. However, maybe Claus could offer you something, he has made many extension designs using his 3D printer.

Post subject: Re: Wanted: Extension-only STLs and flat-piece burrs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 am 

Right - this one works by extruding plastic thread, and I'm not sure of the resolution but it wouldn't respond well to thin walls.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.