Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Selling Crazy2face CrazyB4cube kits
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 pm 

Actually Rline.. those `obsolete parts` can still be used and combined with `leftover parts` to make second complimentary puzzles with standard MF8 cores. Remember that `all of the puzzles` in the solving thread so far have been constructed with `just those parts` from the first kit. So I don't think it is the best idea to `throw anything away` that is functional anyway.

I've had a few questions by PM that I will share here, because the answers might help others. Please feel free to ask questions:

Some Good Questions wrote:
Is there an inventory list that you can send me that I can use to make sure I got everything? I just made a Youtube video and put a link on the Marketplace thread, and posted some photos in the Marketplace thread too. Unfortunately the nature of `threads` is that things sometimes get buried, especially when things are `progressing` rather than being announced `complete`, so I understand you being confused.

Is there any directions for stickering the pieces? Or is this basically self-explanatory based on what is included in the kit? The parts in the baggie are all to be stickered with the pink sheets. These are your B4parts. There are some unmodified parts that will be pink. They create PGEs (Parity Generating Elements)as well as `constructing` various B4pink blocks, like lego, they come apart and make different constructions.

Your 2 complete MF8 `2circle face` & `4circle face` puzzles are to be stickered with the RGBYWO Cubesmith stickers.

Is there any instructional video to show how to change parts, etc?Rline made a video about the first kit when it came out, his Youtube username is `Twistypuzzling`, My Username is `Burgocube` I have a playlist called CrazyB4cube Crazy2face https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DfPCgKWDJY There's also a solving thread that has an introduction to the puzzles here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25893&start=0 I am going to simplify a bit of the Nomenclature soon, but the whole rationale is mentioned there.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:49 am 

This Post is to Identify the Components within the New Core and their Nomenclature, and to Identify the Parts that need gluing and stickering:

Core Components and Nomenclature:

The circle cubes have 2x moveable groups:
Inner ring [written first]
Outer collar [written second]
And they can move 3 ways:
Free spinning [O]
Blocked [X]
Constrained [C]
And those elements can be linked [-] or independent.
And then any of those Centre types can be put onto a 2face.
All of these are possible plus one instance of piggyback constraining [P].

This makes 12 centre types: CC CX CO XC XX XO OC OX OO, C-C O-O, CCP + 12 more face types if they are put onto 2faces =24 possibilities. This replaces the clunky C1, C2, C5face etc nomenclature, which doesn’t hold up to the 24 possibilities within the new kit.
For example, the MF8 1face will be: O-O and the 0face will be XO. The `double independent constrained` will be CC, and the piggyback constrained will be CCP, and the linked constrained will be C-C (because they both move together)

New Nomenclature for Naming Faces:

Face colour: [rgbwyo]
Inner ring: [OXC]
Outer collar: [OXC]
Linked [-]
P if piggybacked.

So: rXX, gCO, bCCP, wOO, yXO, oO-O would be describing all the centres on a puzzle (we describe centres with characters, rather than 24 different face types), and the diagram or photo shows the faces (because a 2face is really a type of outer bandaging that can be shown in a photograph along with the other B4bandaging).

Something Missed:

But.. I've just realized that there is 1 thing that I haven't accounted for, and that's: the `Outer Constrained, Inner blocked` centre [XC]. Someone pointed it out to me, and it’s become obvious while organising the Nomenclature. I feel like a goose, but it's one of those things.. sometimes you overlook things like that, because when you're doing the designing you're faced with a bunch of other problems to solve, like tensions and tolerances and skipping parts, overturning, printing errors, and you get caught up in those, and don't see the forest for the trees. It’s also a close relative of the `double independent constrained` part, that was an intricate design that we didn’t know if we could get working, so.. in making the impossible happen, I forgot to extend the concept to it’s full effect. I intend to get it into the kit and send it out to people. It'll cost me a lot to do it, but I don't care about profit, I care about having a great kit. At the moment I'm just starting to cut even with about 8 kits still unsold, I’ll make an announcement soon offering some of those kits for sale, and hopefully that will pay for it. Any kits that go out from now will be delayed to get the `new part` included.

Which parts to glue and assemble:
Attachment:
Assembled Parts.jpg
Assembled Parts.jpg [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 1460 times ]

The core from the MF8 2 or 4 circle puzzle, goes into the new shapeways core pieces.

Which Parts to Sticker:

All the parts that came in the baggie, are to be stickered in B4pink.
All the parts that came on a MF8 2 or 4 circle puzzle, are to be stickered with the RGBWYO cubesmith stickers.

Cheers,
Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:07 am 

Wait there is yet another centre type to come? 24 face types aren't enough? Hehe.

I can't speak for others of course but I expect to pay for mine. Just send me the price :)

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:02 am 

It's one of the 12, so 2 of the 24.

The part type is pretty much designed, it's an existing part with a minor adjustment, it's just an oversight to leave it out. In this case, the `work that needs to be done` to complete the kit is `minimal` compared to what has already been done, it's only money standing in the way. It's not so much a mistake, as a neglected `ideal`. I don't care about money when for me this is a significant achievement, that I feel is worth completing. If I charged for it, some people might not complete their kits. And anyway, the price of the kit is more than I initially wanted, I don't expect people to want to pay more for something `I want to do`.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:47 am 

PS Everybody send Carl a PM and tell him how much you love him because he doesn't know he's making the additional part yet :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:17 am 

I got my kit.

I'm a bit overwhelmed, and I haven't bought a 2-circle cube yet, so I really haven't done anything with it yet.

Everything looks good so far, but I honestly barely know what I'm looking at. I need to do some reading, and watching, for sure. This is a big pile o' parts.

I need to go through the video and check everything I think. I still didn't buy a 2-circle cube.... stupid me. Meant to have that ready before the kit came.

Looks like I have a lot of stickering and sorting ahead of me! I hate stickering... It's worth it though, of course.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:14 am 

LetsSolveCubes wrote:
I got my kit.

I'm a bit overwhelmed, and I haven't bought a 2-circle cube yet, so I really haven't done anything with it yet.

Everything looks good so far, but I honestly barely know what I'm looking at. I need to do some reading, and watching, for sure. This is a big pile o' parts.

I need to go through the video and check everything I think. I still didn't buy a 2-circle cube.... stupid me. Meant to have that ready before the kit came.

Looks like I have a lot of stickering and sorting ahead of me! I hate stickering... It's worth it though, of course.

Thanks!

Just so people know, I am in the process of making a video about the kit as well. To complement what Burgo has already put out. I hope to be able to make it very clear about exactly what to do when, as well as a few things which I've found out which should help things a bit. Also I want to go through and demonstrate each centre type.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:19 am 

I just finished stickering my parts today! It's actually not too bad, I thought it would be worse, but I had memories of hand cutting all the first kit. They look beautiful finally stickered, if I say so myself :)
Attachment:
Stickered parts.jpg
Stickered parts.jpg [ 3.19 MiB | Viewed 1379 times ]

And here's all the glued parts.. my advice.. don't go stingy on the superglue, Shapeways nylon is absorbent so it soaks up a bit more than normal.. and because of that it takes a little longer to dry, so give it a bit to dry, otherwise you will break the initial bond and have to do it again.
Attachment:
glued parts.jpg
glued parts.jpg [ 3.39 MiB | Viewed 1379 times ]

And just a little example of the differing tolerances you might experience. These parts are supposed to have the same wall thickness. They still work, and they're both on my parts, but it can create differences in feel.
Attachment:
Same wall thickness.jpg
Same wall thickness.jpg [ 2.64 MiB | Viewed 1379 times ]

And here's a picture of the proposed new part that I will send out.
Attachment:
New part.jpg
New part.jpg [ 673.51 KiB | Viewed 1379 times ]

I also have an issue to do with catchiness of some parts to work through. I'll make a post about it soon. It's a problem that I knew existed (to a lesser extent), but it couldn't be avoided. It's a bigger problem than when I tested the parts (and I'll explain why). But don't worry, if you're experiencing a loose puzzle or catchiness under certain configurations, it's completely fixable and I'll let you know the details soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 am 

A little video of the shape ways parts floating past...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBKOBB1G7o

And some pics...
Attachment:
File comment: Close up 1
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 1362 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Close up 3
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 1362 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Close up 4
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 1362 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Close up 2
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 1362 times ]

Just getting ready to figure out what to glue to what...

Jez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:14 am 

There’s 2 things I will talk about that can contribute to functionality problems. One is breaking Shapeways parts in properly. The other is a Shapeways minimum wall thickness that I couldn’t avoid, but it can be fixed.

1. Breaking the Shapeways fittings in:

The center piece fittings will be very tight when pushed into the core at first. If you just try to put the part in and screw it down, it’s likely that the spring will compress instead of the fitting going into the core recess. You will need to push each center piece in and out of the core recesses to break the surfaces in. You should do this about 10-15 times, in each of the 6 core recesses, for each part.

When you’re finished, after the parts are screwed in, they should be able to be pulled out to load the spring, and then snap back when the spring is released. Just like any other puzzle. Otherwise the puzzle may be loose when the puzzle is assembled.

2. Shapeways minimum wall thickness.

The other factor that is causing looseness and catching in the core mechanism is the square 1face center adaptor fitting. The fitting is necessary, but the minimum Shapeways wall thickness is 0.7mm, whereas I needed about 0.5mm, so the combined over-thickness is approximately 0.4mm. My 1face centers with the fitting installed, on measurement, come in at 9.5 ~ 9.8mm when they need to be about 9mm. The MF8 shaft is 8mm, and on this puzzle, with the parts we need to get working, 8mm causes skipping.

The over-thickness, when multiple 1face centers are packed around the core together, is expanding the edges and pushing the puzzle apart to create excessive looseness and catching.

I always knew this would be an `unavoidable problem`, but it was necessary to do this to make the puzzle function. The reason that I never picked up on `how bad` it would be under certain conditions, is because when I was testing the puzzles I only ever ordered one of each part type to test at a time. So it wasn't so bad, it was a bit catchy, but not obtrusive, and definitely not pushing the puzzle apart like it does when you pack a lot of 1face centers in all at once.

It’s better to have the part in its present thickness, than not to have it. We can sand or file the part down to a better thickness fairly easily. Which is what I thought `might` need to be done to make the puzzle perform `better`, however, it’s become absolutely necessary.

The puzzle, and its components, are designed to be played a little looser than normal, because of the way we need to spin inner pieces, so it should be played carefully to avoid popping. It shouldn’t be expected to be tightened down to speed cubing tensions, or even really as tight as you would normally expect. And because of this, alignment is more significant.

If you don’t want to attempt the filing, replace the centers with standard MF8 square 1face centers, and the problem will be removed, but the 1face’s inner pieces will be able to be rotated freely, especially with the looser condition in which this puzzle is designed to be played in.

I don’t expect people to have Vernier Callipers, but you should be able to take off a good amount of material. Probably be aiming at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Shapeways wall thickness. A mill file is ideal, and if you don’t have one you should be able to pick one up for about $10, although sanding would be achievable. Shapeways nylon is very abrasion resistant, so you will be able to give it a good shot and not worry about taking too much off. Try to build up your abrasive surface to get a good 90* action on your part. I did that with a thickness of paper in my picture, that also protects the bench. Having the edge of the part past the paper stopped it rubbing against the side of the file, and having it on a smooth surface allowed a smooth, controlled action.

EDIT: Just to let you know how it goes: I've been able to get mine down to about 9.3mm, where the nylon starts to get very smooth, and I believe it would be at the point of, or just below, the `true sintering point`. At this point you can sand your life away before you make any more progress. In other words.. as long as you keep it flat and at 90*, you don't have to be careful not to take too much off.. Just file until the surface becomes really smooth and no more comes off. Consider it a kind of `really heavy break in`. If you have any trouble with any other square parts causing catching (which I don't think you will -but it is possible due to different prints), you could do a similar thing with them, perhaps using the side of the file, and being very careful not to file any other overhanging elements, like small constraining footings and such.
Attachment:
filing.jpg
filing.jpg [ 2.56 MiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

Here’s a short video of the puzzle in the Neptune setting, after the parts have been filed down: http://youtu.be/cUmUotGPrVM Sorry about the Darth Vader, the camera was under my nose :)

PS love the video of those parts j6wbs!!

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:50 pm 

I made a short video example of the filing technique: http://youtu.be/suM7VvsAbmE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:18 pm 

Definitive Centres Guide
Attachment:
Definitive centres guide 2.jpg
Definitive centres guide 2.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 1274 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:13 am 

Please note: I made a small change in the Nomenclature above^^. I changed the characters from C X F to C X O and made the face colours lower case to distinguish the O and o. It's more of a visual system this way. This way O is a complete loop, X is blocked, and C.. even the letter, is a O that doesn't go all the way around.. it makes the whole lettering system visual pictures and I just thought it fit better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:18 pm 

I've finished glueing all the bits together, and finally getting organised.

I think I'm going to try starting with Jupiter (with standard colour scheme) with minor modification, making the white face have a 90 constrained centre and a free spinning outer collar (i.e. CO or piece I), so if I have the convention correct that would make it "rO-O, gO-O, bO-O, wCO, yO-O, oO-O" (pictured next to the case of bits)

Cheers

Jez

Attachments:
File comment: Finally getting a bit organised...
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 1240 times ]
File comment: All O-O faces, except in this one I was trying out the CCP (piggy back) centre on the white face
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 1240 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:53 pm 

j6wbs wrote:
I think I'm going to try starting with Jupiter (with standard colour scheme) with minor modification, making the white face have a 90 constrained centre and a free spinning outer collar (i.e. CO or piece I), so if I have the convention correct that would make it "rO-O, gO-O, bO-O, wCO, yO-O, oO-O"

A video of the Constrained Jupiter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGnsh0w5KE

It's a little tight at the moment, so I might need to file down the O-O centres a little.

Cheers,
Jez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 am 

I have a functionality video coming, which outlines how to get your puzzle functioning superbly. It's a must watch for recipients. Watch this spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:49 am 

As well as Burgo's functionality video, you may like to watch my 2 videos.

One is a shorter video for the general public, showing the puzzle (kit) off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3G_KEHdRmc

The other is a longer video talking about the bits in the 1st kit, the new parts, some stickering (including a complete botch job by me), which bits to glue, a definitive guide to each of the centres, showing which shapeways pieces you need and how they function, the 2face aspects and some bizarre behaviour involving a CC centre changing mid-solve, and a quick word about the pink B4 pieces. If anyone wants to skip to particular sections I've included the times below.

Intro & 1st Kit Pieces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkSRgQl5V10
Stickering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkSRgQl5V10&t=12m0s
CENTRES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkSRgQl5V10&t=21m43s
2Face & Bizarre Behaviour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkSRgQl5V10&t=34m12s
Pink B4 pieces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkSRgQl5V10&t=37m26s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:46 am 

This is a Post to help you get your Puzzles Adjusted Perfectly

Please remember that I got my `full kit` at exactly the same time as you. Before that my test components came `one of each part type at a time`. So, some of the things that have to do with `having all part types at once` are new to me too. Otherwise I’d have already made these types of posts. Obviously, I’ve had a lot of time with these parts, and I know them well, but this is my `out of the same box as you `review and impressions`.

This is the video for how to adjust your puzzle: http://youtu.be/PwvzbioFZ0w

This is the video for how to file the 0face centre to get an `aggressively broken in part`: http://youtu.be/suM7VvsAbmE featured above^^

Why Some Centres Don’t have Springs or Washers:

CC part, for example, is designed for use without a spring. A lot of combinations will use `no spring or washer`(if you use a washer without the spring, you just won't get the same thread depth.. and it just doesn't need a washer, the washer is there to stop the spring eating the bottom of the shaft).

Unsprung parts are uncommon in mass produced puzzles because the tensions need to be much more precise when they’re unsprung, and the puzzles are assembled by factory workers, who don't have time to fiddle with tensions.

The centres on the CrazyB4cube that require you to independently spin the inner circle components, are better unsprung, because it removes spring tension (and therefore friction) from that twist. In fact I gave those shafts a fraction of a mm more length as well.. to loosen the puzzle slightly, and allow easier manipulation of the inner parts.

When I modded the Mosaic Cube with the Ball Core, one of the important things I did there, was to remove the springs and replace them with solid spacers.. this was a critical factor in improving the Mosaic cube, if you watch my video on that, I got it pretty perfect by taking out the springs and making careful tension adjustments.

The other reason for them being unsprung is that I needed to use the space where the spring goes in those parts, for the mechanism. So it's fortuitous both ways . But the tension needs to be adjusted more precisely.

Adjusting the CrazyB4cube Puzzle for Perfect Turning:

One of the things I've just realised is that I did most of the testing and designing with my orange C4U core in, and that this is significant, because the fraction of a mm changes that I made, which are critical to functionality and the correct feel of the puzzle, happened with that core in the prototypes. I had thought that the different core was going to be insignificant, but it turns out that it wasn’t. The MF8 core is `slightly smaller` by a fraction of a mm.

I also use a drop of Maru lube here and there, rather than thick Lubix style lube.. this is also critical in the instance of needing to free spin the inner circle components, but it's literally a drop and no more, or you'll get suction instead. The thicker Lubix style lube is gluggier and stays wet, and this is also annoying when the parts are disassembled and you would get lube everywhere from the parts.

The skipping of the inner parts on the `Standard Unmodified MF8 black Crazy Puzzles` is caused by the square 1face centres being slightly too narrow.. this is probably not a real issue on that puzzle, unless you try to force them, and it’s my guess that MF8 probably designed them that way so that the puzzle could be speed cubed a bit easier and not catch? But, it is an issue on the type of puzzle that the CrazyB4cube is.

I have made a adaptor footing for the MF8 1face part to fix this issue. It's better to `have the part` as is, and modify it, or `aggressively break it in`, than to try and construct one like this: http://youtu.be/kNJgg5UZIfQ see> 7:20 Which was my original fix.

The better question is probably.. why did I choose to work with a flawed base puzzle to begin with? Or persist with it? And the reason is 2 fold.. I started that way.. so I wasn't aware that the minimum wall thicknesses would be a problem until I had already modified all the hand modded components. But moreso.. the original decision to do hand mod over an entire Shapeways puzzle, was for a nicer puzzle. Mass produced parts turn significantly better. And have a significantly better outer finish.

In the end, we have a much better puzzle.. and possibly a small 1face catching problem, that in the end, we can overcome quite easily. And, if people don’t feel handy, they can just use normal MF8, unmodified 1face centre pieces, and just live with being able to accidentally turn the Inner 1face ring.

Sending out New Parts:

I am sending a new part type to everybody, as I mentioned above. Carl and I are working on it as we speak. It won’t need testing, because it’s significantly made up of parts we already have, so it should be pretty quick to do. Along with this I intend to buy 80 C4U cores and mail them along with that package. This will improve the turning of your puzzles, and get them up to my high standards.

The puzzles will still work without the C4U cores, and I have found no other issue with any other part. However, if there is catching on other centres with the square components, there shouldn’t be, but if there is, you can file the excess, partly sintered, material off in the same way, and if it’s still there you can fillet the sharp edges off in the same way. But they were printed smaller than the 1face adaptor fitting.

In the meantime, please check, and if anyone finds any problem with their kit before that, please let me know so I can send possible replacements or such with that package. Importantly, if there’s problems, let me know, because my kit is working perfectly now, and I can help you get yours there.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:57 pm 

Secret Unrevealed Parts: A CrazyB4cube Tradition

There is something that I forgot to talk about. There's so much in the kit that people are probably still getting it together and organised, but I did say that there were `secret, as yet unrevealed parts` coming in the kit.. any ideas what they were? What was in the kit that I hadn't revealed yet? There were a few in this kit.. but there are so many parts that people may not have even picked that up.. right?

Also: In keeping with tradition.. there will be `another secret surprise` as yet unrevealed part in the additional package I'm sending out :shock:

Cheers,
Jas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:12 pm 

I finally caught up on this thread. Amazing effort Burgo, this looks like a massive undertaking!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:08 pm 

Thanks Brandon, yes it's been more work than I care to admit sometimes.

Kit recipients: I have ordered 80 C4U cores and they will go in the 2nd packages. So you don't have to source your own. If you want to use one temporarily, you can scavenge one from a C4U 335 or 337 or something.. here's a few identifying features I could find:

Attachments:
core.jpg
core.jpg [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
337.jpg
337.jpg [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 1089 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm 

Attachment:
_DSC8537 LR_2048w.jpg
_DSC8537 LR_2048w.jpg [ 368.21 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]

Attachment:
_DSC8541 LR_3072.jpg
_DSC8541 LR_3072.jpg [ 3.53 MiB | Viewed 1077 times ]

The first steps on a great puzzle adventure! There is a *lot* to do here. What an accomplishment! Thank you so much Burgo, rline and Carl.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:42 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Secret Unrevealed Parts: A CrazyB4cube Tradition

There is something that I forgot to talk about. There's so much in the kit that people are probably still getting it together and organised, but I did say that there were `secret, as yet unrevealed parts` coming in the kit.. any ideas what they were? What was in the kit that I hadn't revealed yet? There were a few in this kit.. but there are so many parts that people may not have even picked that up.. right?

Also: In keeping with tradition.. there will be `another secret surprise` as yet unrevealed part in the additional package I'm sending out :shock:

Cheers,
Jas.

I hadn't even thought of there being unrevealed parts. I'd deliberately avoided looking exactly what i should be expecting to receive for quite some time so that it was a surprise when I opened it, so I have no idea wwhat they are without going through the post saying what we would be getting :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 pm 

You can do your detective work if you choose :) The next part `should` be more obvious, because it's one of 2 that will be in the packet. `Should` :wink: .

I finally decided on storage containers for my kits. I have the 6colour in one and the Standard kit in the other. The only other additional thing that I've done is to have `2x ea MF8 2&4circle puzzles`. I like how I can take the sub-boxes out, tip the parts out on the table, and then scoop them back in easily. $11 bucks ea at Bunnings.. such value.

CrazyB4cube set
Attachment:
CrazyB4cube kit.jpg
CrazyB4cube kit.jpg [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

6colour set
Attachment:
6colour kit.jpg
6colour kit.jpg [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

Both sets, with the puzzles.
Attachment:
Full kit and 6colour kit.jpg
Full kit and 6colour kit.jpg [ 5.5 MiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

For completeness, I also took a photo of my 8x Iconic Crazy2face puzzles too.
Attachment:
8x Iconic 2face puzzles.jpg
8x Iconic 2face puzzles.jpg [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 pm 

Beautiful! so jealous of that set of 2face puzzles! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 am 

Kits Available

OK, here's the story.. I've sent out my final requests to all people on my reserve list who haven't replied to my initial `selling now` PM. If you believe you should have been on the list and haven't been notified, you should make contact with me immediately, before I sell a kit that possibly should be yours.

There have been a couple of kits become available, which is enough for me to begin making a public offer. If you would like to enquire about a kit, contact me via PM. At the moment there are 2 kits available, with the outlook for possibly a few more as I get more information back.

I don't think I will have any problem selling the remaining kits. If you want to secure one, I'd say you'll probably want to be quick.

There will be a short delay to the shipping, due to me waiting on Shapeways to send me the additional parts.

Cheers,
Jas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:57 am 

Is there a map or guide to the huge CrazyB4Cube world? We have the Crazy 3x3 planets defined by DaYan's chart, rline's Crazy2Face planets. There is already a nomenclature, but I think a set of named destinations (there are not nearly enough planet names) could be motivating and useful for people starting out on the journey. For example, subgroup "single-clocked inner B4 bandaged" might have a 6 or 8 interesting variants identified, named and listed in a chart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:53 am 

Pete the Geek wrote:
Is there a map or guide to the huge CrazyB4Cube world? We have the Crazy 3x3 planets defined by DaYan's chart, rline's Crazy2Face planets. There is already a nomenclature, but I think a set of named destinations (there are not nearly enough planet names) could be motivating and useful for people starting out on the journey. For example, subgroup "single-clocked inner B4 bandaged" might have a 6 or 8 interesting variants identified, named and listed in a chart.

There's also the extended planets - 2L, 2N, 3N, etc. There's a few interesting ones in there. In my signature, there's a Google doc containing my explorations into the extended planets and the use of different 3Face configurations. Beyond that, there's been a few interesting designs posted in the Solving thread [Andy's Labyrinth, Burgo's Battleaxe, etc].

If you have an idea for a puzzle [or a series, even], post it in the solving thread with a diagram [as per Burgo's first post]. Along with the "official" nomenclature, you're welcome to give them nicknames for easier discussion / referencing. I'd love to see this "single-clocked inner B4 bandaged" series. Name it and show us! If everyone does this for their designs, it will be easy to collect / list / categorize them down the road, similar to what was done with the solving thread for the DIY Bandaged 3x3x3. But for now, there are not many designs. I think a lot of people were stumped by the standard 2Face planets and didn't explore much on their own. Hopefully with all the new kits, there will be more designs coming soon.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:45 pm 

I set myself a goal at the beginning of the year for `designing a puzzle every 2 weeks`.. recently I've had to let that go to get the kits out the door. Presently, I'm still `getting the kits out the door`, but I intend to move back into that, I've got a number of ideas for great puzzles with the new face types.. I haven't even posted my final puzzles for the previous series.

Basically though, there's a plethora of Bandaged333s in the Bandaged333 solving thread, that could be converted in varying ways to the B4cubes. The Crazy2face cubes are a great challenge on their own too.. but don't be deceived into thinking that all the B4cube variants will be difficult.. some will be easier and some harder than the Crazy2face puzzles.

If there's 5000 types of bandaged cubes, and 24 new faces here, and combinations of circle puzzles and RC, and combinations of those kinds of bandaging, I've got to think the possible configurations must be in the hundreds of thousands at least? What do you think?

Andy had a great idea for a constrained planet series, and this could be done with any number of combinations of the constraining elements.

The Nomenclature should become much easier and more intuitive with my `naming the centre types` method above^^. I'm thinking of making a program that you type the centre names in and it punches out the planet name for you too.

For the moment though, believe it or not, I'm still modding.. I have a few small alterations to make to the puzzle kits that are yet to go out, and 2 unsold upgrade kits to make into full kits so I can sell them.

I've made some small modifications to my kit and I'll make a video about this (over the weekend).. about how to file some of the gaps in the larger bandaging pieces that I've mentioned above^^ (basically we need to take about 0.5mm off some flat internal surfaces to get `the absolute full functionality with every centre type possible`). This is not an absolutely necessary thing to do, so you don't actually even need to do it, if you don't want.. but for `completeness` I've done it to my kit. I'll show the method, the results, why it's not a critical issue, and how to use your larger bandaged blocks properly if you don't want to file anything (what aspects will be slightly limited). It's about 10 mins work on a standard kit. I do encourage you to watch the video anyway, when it comes out, because it will help you get the most from your kit.. (no-one's spoken about how to use the various larger bandaging elements yet).

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:08 am 

My package just dropped in two hours ago and I'm quite speechless :shock:
Thanks to everyone involved in making such a fantastic thing possible!
Here goes my weekend and I'm affraid it will not be the only one... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:19 am 

Thanks for the compliments Mif, I really appreciate it. It's what makes it all worth it when you hear that people are appreciating it. :) Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:01 pm 

My kit showed up today, finally!
Thank you Burgo for such an amazing work and all the effort you put into it. And thank you for all the dedication you are continuing to show with the documentation, the guides, the videos and now the 'extensions' to centers to make this as complete as possible. I really can not express how I appreciate your skills and your project!
You are a great person.
Being owner of the 6 color kit one I'm really stunned by how much hand work you had to do with it. I'm proud to have it.

And now to work to assemble it all! :o

PS: ( and thanks to Carl for contribution!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:43 pm 

Thanks Psi,

Yes, the 6colour kit is unbelievable.. even for me. You can see why I said I would only make a few of them. I actually have a spare one because someone who wanted one pulled out at the last minute.. he had a very good reason, and I'm sure I'll sell it anyway. But, an opportunity now exists.. if someone, who will appreciate it and use it, wants to contact me.. then it's there waiting for an owner. There are 4 in the world including mine. (One more 6colour kit for sale: LAST ONE) SOLD

Filing the big blocks, and how to use them and with which centres:

Every kit I send out from now on will have the new Shapeways components in it (including the new surprise parts), 2x C4U cores, and the filing on the Big Block components and the 1face adaptors already completed. For those people who need to do the filing themselves.. here's a short video.. it's only about a 10 min job on a Standard Kit, and it's still possible to use the kit without it, just with `slightly less` functionality:

http://youtu.be/OUZsPSHf0Y4 Sorry about the auto focus, I had the camera on auto focus so I could use both hands, but it's not very good at it.

Cheers,
Burgo

Last edited by Burgo on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: URGENT UPDATE CrazyB4cube kits
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:46 am 

Call to Arms, CrazyB4cube recipients:

I Recently made a number of posts about selling some of the remaining CrazyB4cube kits, and giving away some extra additional parts.

I'll make a list of the parts that I intend to include (some not mentioned yet):

2x C4U cores
6x XC centre
6x New additional unknown surprise centre!

6x 1face centre adaptor (reduced to 0.5mm wall thickness by using SW `print it anyway: designer's button`)
6x 0face centre adaptor

The reason for the additional 0face and 1face adaptors is to increase the scope of the kit to work with 2 puzzles simultaneously.

I've just become aware of a button in Shapeways that bypasses the minimum wall thickness, and allows designers to `print it anyway`, I presume with no guarantees. So the new 1face centre adaptors should be perfect!

This pretty little package is going to cost me just over $1000 including postage, that's $750 Shapeways (no markup) + $250 postage.
I was prepared to do that at about 1/2 that price.. and I still am.
But I can't justify taking $1000 away from my family to do this.
What I need, to get this happening is some contributions, or I'll just need to make it available another way.
$1000 divided by 40 (me included) is $25ea

If I get over $500 worth of contributions towards this addition (20/40 people think this is worthwhile enough to pay for it's `cost price`) over the next week or so.. I'll meet you dollar for dollar and push it through. Don't send money yet, please just PM me to tell me if you'll contribute.

If I don't raise enough money, I'll consider that the majority of people consider the addition unworthwhile.. so I'll just make the additional parts available in a package on Shapeways for people to purchase (which is what most people have suggested privately that I do anyway). But, without putting these parts in bulk models like they are now.. this will probably cost at least double, and then there will be Shapeways postage.

So, first, sorry to trouble you. And second, please consider it, because doing it bulk will be the best way for everybody overall.. because I know there have been people who have scratched money together to buy these kits, and some of the stories I've heard have truly humbled me. So much so, that it makes everything I've done mean so much more. I'd love to get those people the extra parts too.

Please be mindful: These are all components that I didn't initially intend to include in the kits, and the kits will work as intended without them.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:29 pm 

I finished setting up my Crazy2face CrazyB4Cube kit and even made my first CB4 puzzle, "Fused Jupiter".

Attachment:
_DSC8712-Edit LR_3072.jpg
_DSC8712-Edit LR_3072.jpg [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 560 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:22 am 

Nice to see the kit in use Pete! Awesome.. can't wait to see all the new creations :)

Just an update to the Call to Arm progress. It looks like there's plenty of support, and I'd say at this rate it'll probably go through. We're at $425 at the moment with 14 contributors.

I'll keep posting progress. If we even just get to $450, maybe I'll just ask $10 more for the last 5x kits that haven't been reserved (I'm starting to get to know the numbers of unsold kits a bit more accurately now too, and at the moment there are 5). Anyone who has reserved a kit at a price already, rest assured, that price will not be changed.

Cheers,
Jas

Post subject: Re: URGENT UPDATE CrazyB4cube kits
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 am 

We're close enough now that I'm confident that we'll get there. Because there's enough support for it, and we are going to make it.. what I need now then, is for people to start sending their contributions through, because then I can place the Shapeways order. At the moment my Paypal is depleated (because any profit that I stand to make is tied up in a few unpaid for puzzles and the last 5x unsold puzzles). If I load my account another way, I pay large currency exchange fees, but if I use USD directly from Paypal, then it's much better, so I'll wait until I have the USD in there to make the order (that's why I work with USD). At the moment I don't need everyone to pay immediately, but most would be good. Let's do this :D

All I can say is that I'm overwhelmed with the support, and a huge thankyou to all contributors! And to Carl!

Cheers,
Burgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:27 pm 

Yep, big thanks to Carl here too! The pair of you are awesome :D

Money sent :)