Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black on Red "Golden" Cube auction (ended)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:09 pm 

A 10 day auction has finished for the world's first Black on Red Golden Cube. It ended on the 10th August.
I originally wanted this to be just red plastic with no stickers. After making it though I decided it would look better with black stickers and I am very pleased with the result.
I made the puzzle using second generation moulds from my 1999 originals. This means it is harder to solve than the mass produced Meffert's version since it has a triangular piece with no obvious orientation which can cause parity problems. Unfortunately my intended lines of rotation were slightly altered on the mass produced version and this piece became lop sided. By using my own moulds I was once again able to make it as intended for this black on red version.
I doubt I will make many more of these so this is a chance to get your hands on an ultra rare very special puzzle.
If you have never handled one of my cast puzzle you will know that they are fairly heavy. This is because it is almost impossible to make the plastic as thin as you get on a mass produced puzzle. My Golden Cubes have hollow parts but they are still one of the heaviest puzzles I have made.

Movement
Very good. Each move ends in a pleasing click.

Appearance
Very good. The plastic is a light red and not as pink as it appears in some photos. The black has a nice shiny gloss finish and the colours go together really well. There is a little bubbling on some stickers.

Construction
Custom made / mod / Transformation. All work was done by hand with no CAD or 3D printing. The stickers were hand cut using my custom made stencil.

Durability
Pretty good. The pieces are unlikely to break but things could come unstuck if the puzzle is dropped. The signature has a clear covering which will prevent it from wearing off during use.
Please note that all custom made puzzles should always be handled with care.

Select your ebay from below for full details of the auction.
USA /International ebay
United Kingdom ebay
Germany ebay
France ebay
Canada ebay
Belgium ebay
Spain ebay
Italy ebay
Netherlands ebay

Tony Fisher's hand signed Black on Red Golden Cube Puzzle (Custom / mod / transformation)
Auction video

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Tony Fisher's signed Black on Red "Golden" Cube auction
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
If you have never handled one of my cast puzzle you will know that they are fairly heavy. This is because it is almost impossible to make the plastic as thin as you get on a mass produced puzzle. My Golden Cubes have hollow parts but they are still one of the heaviest puzzles I have made.
Having handled four different copies of Tony's hand-made Golden Cubes (I am lucky to know some good collectors!) I can say I find the weight of the original very satisfying.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Tony Fisher's signed Black on Red "Golden" Cube auction
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:05 pm 

The auction finishes later today. Bidding stands at £106.

Post subject: Re: Black on Red "Golden" Cube auction (ends today!!)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:39 pm 

Bah! As usual I was outbid: 4 mins to go = £112, final price £216 :(