Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sold
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 am 

Sold

Last edited by retropuzzlecollector on Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: Re: FS: Rare Vintage Ideal Toy Corporation Merchandising Ite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am 

Maybe you already guessed that I want to add this to the museum, not for a new entry but still.
Therefore I ask you:
Can you reshoot the second image?
Do the back sides look like the front sides?

Post subject: Re: FS: Some Of The Rarest Rubik's Puzzles You Will Ever See
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am 

One of my rarest Rubik's Cubes has been added for sale today and it is sure to please even the most discerning collectors out there. :mrgreen:

Last edited by retropuzzlecollector on Mon May 13, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: F/S: One Of The Rarest Vintage Rubik's Cubes On The Plan
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 am 

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Rubik's cube comes DOUBLE sealed in that kind of packaging. I only say this because while I was intrigued, I looked in the museum: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=903 and the pictures only show the box wrapped in plastic. Yours on the other hand has the box AND the cube wrapped. I'm not sure if this has been tampered with in some way because that seems like awfully thick plastic wrapping around the cube. I'm not saying it's fake but it is really confusing me :?

Attachments:
$T2eC16J,!yUE9s6NEG+OBRh+Vzt7yw~~60_3.JPG
$T2eC16J,!yUE9s6NEG+OBRh+Vzt7yw~~60_3.JPG [ 91.35 KiB | Viewed 942 times ]
$T2eC16F,!ysE9sy0gGI4BRh+V1IgH!~~60_3.JPG
$T2eC16F,!ysE9sy0gGI4BRh+V1IgH!~~60_3.JPG [ 90.65 KiB | Viewed 942 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 am 

NXTgen wrote:
Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Rubik's cube comes DOUBLE sealed in that kind of packaging. I only say this because while I was intrigued, I looked in the museum: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=903 and the pictures only show the box wrapped in plastic. Yours on the other hand has the box AND the cube wrapped. I'm not sure if this has been tampered with in some way because that seems like awfully thick plastic wrapping around the cube. I'm not saying it's fake but it is really confusing me :?

From time to time a small percentage of Rubik's Cubes can be found in both the white box and yellow/black box versions with the shrink wrapping around the cube. Another member here owns one of the finest examples that I have ever seen of a logo on yellow with the double seal in the third production run packaging.

http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6017

I've seen a few logo on white ones too with the double seal surface on Ebay but you have to manually study every original Rubik's Cube auction picture carefully to find one as they can be difficult to spot right away if the vertical seam on the seal surrounding the cube itself is not prominently displayed in the picture. If you like to collect variants having a double seal with the logo on white can be found for usually the same price as what a normal new sealed Rubik's Cube would go for. Finding a sealed logo on yellow like the one Georges has for example is quite rare and in all of my years collecting I have never seen another besides his in that packaging until I came across my double logo double seal cube. Finding that one was the equivalent of finding the holy grail for me.

Another rare cube that many people do not know about is the logo on orange Rubik's Deluxe Cube. I've provided a picture of mine (located top shelf & 1st cube to the left next to the logo on red and logo on yellow Deluxe Cubes) and to my knowledge only myself and another Twistypuzzle member own one so I have only seen two documented examples of this cube to date so far. If anyone else here owns one of these rare logo on orange Deluxe Cubes please let me know as I would love to speak with you to learn more information about where you acquired yours from.

Last edited by retropuzzlecollector on Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:06 am 

NXTgen wrote:
Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Rubik's cube comes DOUBLE sealed in that kind of packaging.

I just received a 1981 Ideal Rubik’s Calendar cube which was double sealed the same way this was.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm 

if i had to guess the double seal probably comes from the cube being manufactured in one plant where they warped them for shipping and then send to a second plant for packaging. where either they just didn't remove the wrap from cube for time or had some lazy workers who didn't get wrap off all cubes. as for the logos on orange and yellow since there is only like 1 or 2 of each i would think those are production mistakes not variants. variants are like when Hasbro transformer repaints or includes so many with a different weapon or McFarland toys does a headless horse men with out a head and then on purpose makes a couple thousand with a head or as a repaint. but its done on purpose. the cube you have a find it hard to believe they would just make two of them different as any thing special or a variant. I would think the cube just was in wrong position when stamped or stickered.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:03 pm 

The black logo for Deluxe cubes, which is typically located on the yellow center, is a sticker. It is not unreasonable to believe that someone could have carefully moved it. Especially since it looks like the packaging’s seal is broken. Any time I see one with the black sticker logo on anything other than the yellow center my first thought is that someone moved it.

The other Deluxe variants have gold painted logos on either the red or blue centers which would be much more difficult (if not impossible) to “fake”. I have yet to see any with a painted logo on the other sides.