Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm 

A new product has been posted on Mefferts: the New Gear Pyraminx: http://www.mefferts.com/products/detail ... =13&id=702

Here's a picture: Image

As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIeJMVTc9Bw&feature=plcp

Just thought I'd give a heads up.

Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 pm 

Actually, this looks just like the KO Gear mastermorphix with a Oskar logo. But the name of the item says Gear pyraminx!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 pm 

misterchris wrote:
Actually, this looks just like the KO Gear mastermorphix with a Oskar logo. But the name of the item says Gear pyraminx!

...that is in fact what I was implying by saying "As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum.", yes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm 

I wonder if Oskar knows anything about this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm 

Both Oskar and Traiphum contributed to this puzzle. Oskar designed the mechanism (Gear Cube), Traiphum was the first to shape-mod it to a Gear Mastermorphinx.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:04 pm 

This is sad, despite after multiple attempts, I could not get my gear pyraminx to operate stably. I got exited when I saw "Meffert's New Gear Pyraminx" in my email, thinking it was a new improved mech that didn't bind up all the time. Then I looked closer at the image, and realized I'd been "had". This is just another of those "legitimized" rebranded KO puzzles. :x

Needless to say, I won't be buying one of these. I'm too burned out with Shape Mods as it is.

Also,you may want to change the title/description, as it seems vague. I thought maybe someone had a problem with a Meffert's order, rather than a legitimate inquiry about the new puzzle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:57 am 

Crazy56U wrote:
As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum.
As I pointed out here in the original thread one must consider this a KO of Oskar and Bram's work before considering Traiphum. As noted there all respect to Traiphum is due but my investigation found this was in the works for mass production before he posted his lovely hand built version.

So independent invention rules it out as a Traiphum KO, but being based on a KO of Oskar/Bram's design is an issue, now "retroactively solved" it seems by Meffert's proposal. This has happened with other puzzles in the past (notably the Fisher cube) and does not condone the initial act of design/idea theft.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Crazy56U wrote:
As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum.
As I pointed out here in the original thread one must consider this a KO of Oskar and Bram's work before considering Traiphum. As noted there all respect to Traiphum is due but my investigation found this was in the works for mass production before he posted his lovely hand built version.

So independent invention rules it out as a Traiphum KO, but being based on a KO of Oskar/Bram's design is an issue, now "retroactively solved" it seems by Meffert's proposal. This has happened with other puzzles in the past (notably the Fisher cube) and does not condone the initial act of design/idea theft.

Dave

OK, fine, but regardless (and I'm almost positive this is going to make me look bad), I still don't like this decision: Oskar never actually made the Gear Mastermophinx. Yes, it's based off of a KO of the Gear Cube design, but I feel that this isn't really enough to say that Oskar has a claim on this product. So I still don't agree with Mefferts labeling this as an Oskar puzzle.

It's sort of like saying that a regular Mastermorphinx is based off of a KO of the Rubik's Cube, and therefor must be sold by Rubiks to compensate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 am 

Crazy56U wrote:
...It's sort of like saying that a regular Mastermorphinx is based off of a KO of the Rubik's Cube, and therefor must be sold by Rubiks to compensate.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm rather new here and I have a long way before understanding these KO issues, but isn't there like 50 different shape mods of the Rubik's cube? I mean with that kind of reasoning the Fisher cube itself would be considered a KO of the original Rubik's cube mechanism. But then again the Rubik's cube was invented more than 30 years ago and the gear cube is a new one! :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 am 

pooya13 wrote:
Crazy56U wrote:
...It's sort of like saying that a regular Mastermorphinx is based off of a KO of the Rubik's Cube, and therefor must be sold by Rubiks to compensate.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm rather new here and I have a long way before understanding these KO issues, but isn't there like 50 different shape mods of the Rubik's cube? I mean with that kind of reasoning the Fisher cube itself would be considered a KO of the original Rubik's cube mechanism. But then again the Rubik's cube was invented more than 30 years ago and the gear cube is a new one! :?

The patent for the Rubik's cube ran out, I honestly don't know which year. What I pointed out in the last thread was there is proof that the company who mass produced this puzzle did so before Traphium released his, and the issue was the Gear Cube patent. So maybe this company tried to put their best foot forward and talk to Oskar and credit him? I think we should wait for Oskars response on this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 am 

Traditionally credit has always been given to the creator of the shape mod, not the underlying base puzzle. I'm not sure why this one has to be different.