Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 pm
A new product has been posted on Mefferts: the New Gear Pyraminx: http://www.mefferts.com/products/detail ... =13&id=702

Here's a picture: Image

As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIeJMVTc9Bw&feature=plcp

Just thought I'd give a heads up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 am
Location: Switzerland
Actually, this looks just like the KO Gear mastermorphix with a Oskar logo. But the name of the item says Gear pyraminx!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 pm
misterchris wrote:
Actually, this looks just like the KO Gear mastermorphix with a Oskar logo. But the name of the item says Gear pyraminx!

...that is in fact what I was implying by saying "As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum.", yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
I wonder if Oskar knows anything about this?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 am
Location: Germany, Siegerland
Both Oskar and Traiphum contributed to this puzzle. Oskar designed the mechanism (Gear Cube), Traiphum was the first to shape-mod it to a Gear Mastermorphinx.

_________________
Timur aka Shim
Signed Vulcanos ($48), Pillow Pyraminxes ($22)
Come visit my Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:58 pm
Location: Louisiana, US
This is sad, despite after multiple attempts, I could not get my gear pyraminx to operate stably. I got exited when I saw "Meffert's New Gear Pyraminx" in my email, thinking it was a new improved mech that didn't bind up all the time. Then I looked closer at the image, and realized I'd been "had". This is just another of those "legitimized" rebranded KO puzzles. :x

Needless to say, I won't be buying one of these. I'm too burned out with Shape Mods as it is.

Also,you may want to change the title/description, as it seems vague. I thought maybe someone had a problem with a Meffert's order, rather than a legitimate inquiry about the new puzzle.

_________________
My Creepy 3D Rubik's Cube Video
cisco wrote:
Yeah, Uwe is Dalai Lama and Paganotis is mother Teresa of Calcutta.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Crazy56U wrote:
As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum.
As I pointed out here in the original thread one must consider this a KO of Oskar and Bram's work before considering Traiphum. As noted there all respect to Traiphum is due but my investigation found this was in the works for mass production before he posted his lovely hand built version.

So independent invention rules it out as a Traiphum KO, but being based on a KO of Oskar/Bram's design is an issue, now "retroactively solved" it seems by Meffert's proposal. This has happened with other puzzles in the past (notably the Fisher cube) and does not condone the initial act of design/idea theft.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 pm
DLitwin wrote:
Crazy56U wrote:
As you can see, it's a Gear Mastermorphinx, made NOT by Oskar, but by Traiphum.
As I pointed out here in the original thread one must consider this a KO of Oskar and Bram's work before considering Traiphum. As noted there all respect to Traiphum is due but my investigation found this was in the works for mass production before he posted his lovely hand built version.

So independent invention rules it out as a Traiphum KO, but being based on a KO of Oskar/Bram's design is an issue, now "retroactively solved" it seems by Meffert's proposal. This has happened with other puzzles in the past (notably the Fisher cube) and does not condone the initial act of design/idea theft.

Dave

OK, fine, but regardless (and I'm almost positive this is going to make me look bad), I still don't like this decision: Oskar never actually made the Gear Mastermophinx. Yes, it's based off of a KO of the Gear Cube design, but I feel that this isn't really enough to say that Oskar has a claim on this product. So I still don't agree with Mefferts labeling this as an Oskar puzzle.

It's sort of like saying that a regular Mastermorphinx is based off of a KO of the Rubik's Cube, and therefor must be sold by Rubiks to compensate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:56 am
Crazy56U wrote:
...It's sort of like saying that a regular Mastermorphinx is based off of a KO of the Rubik's Cube, and therefor must be sold by Rubiks to compensate.


Exactly my thoughts. I'm rather new here and I have a long way before understanding these KO issues, but isn't there like 50 different shape mods of the Rubik's cube? I mean with that kind of reasoning the Fisher cube itself would be considered a KO of the original Rubik's cube mechanism. But then again the Rubik's cube was invented more than 30 years ago and the gear cube is a new one! :?

_________________
"A man who never made a mistake...never made anything."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:06 pm
pooya13 wrote:
Crazy56U wrote:
...It's sort of like saying that a regular Mastermorphinx is based off of a KO of the Rubik's Cube, and therefor must be sold by Rubiks to compensate.


Exactly my thoughts. I'm rather new here and I have a long way before understanding these KO issues, but isn't there like 50 different shape mods of the Rubik's cube? I mean with that kind of reasoning the Fisher cube itself would be considered a KO of the original Rubik's cube mechanism. But then again the Rubik's cube was invented more than 30 years ago and the gear cube is a new one! :?

The patent for the Rubik's cube ran out, I honestly don't know which year. What I pointed out in the last thread was there is proof that the company who mass produced this puzzle did so before Traphium released his, and the issue was the Gear Cube patent. So maybe this company tried to put their best foot forward and talk to Oskar and credit him? I think we should wait for Oskars response on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Error on Mefferts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: Shelby Township, MI. USA
Traditionally credit has always been given to the creator of the shape mod, not the underlying base puzzle. I'm not sure why this one has to be different.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group