Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2x4x4 3d Printed Puzzles for Sale, 2 days left
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 pm 

Current List:
1x Black
1x White

Current Price: $105 + Shipping (C=95 + 20/2)

Price to Pay to Join the List: $103 +Shipping (C=95 + 20/3)

Hello everybody!
I recently made a 2x4x4 via Shapeways and have had a few people contact me in order to buy them. I would like to try a new type of pricing for these puzzles. Instead of simply stating that the puzzles will cost $115 usd plus shipping, I am going to state that the puzzle will cost between $115 and $95 usd plus shipping. The price will be lowered as a function of demand (i.e. the more people who buy 2x4x4's in this batch, the cheaper they will cost).

MATH CONTENT

Scenario 1: I receive only one order. The price is equal to materials plus my mark up, $85 + $30 + shipping. Total price = $115 plus shipping.

Scenario 2: I receive two orders. I can combine the two puzzles into one .stl file. I am only charged the wsf start-up cost of $1.50 once, I am charged less than half price for the second puzzle (Shapeway's density discount), I am only charged the $6.50 Shapeways shipping once, base puzzle shipping once, stickers shipping once, etc. The final price of materials will be ~$20 cheaper by ordering two puzzles than one ($150 to $155 compared to the $170 that would be twice the materials cost of scenario 1). Instead of keeping the extra as profit, I will split the profit difference with the two buyers. Instead of charging both buyers $115, I will only be charging them ~$105 each + shipping.

Scenario 3: I recieve three orders, same as above, however, now the price is about $103 each + shipping. etc.

This roughly follows the function of Cost=$95+$20/Number of Buyers.

LAY MAN VERSION

The more people who buy this from me in this batch of orders, the cheaper the puzzle is. The most you could be paying for this puzzle is $115 plus shipping, the cheapest is $95 plus shipping.

Also, I would like to include that for repeat customers, I will reduce the price by 2.5% per puzzle you have purchased from me in the past, up to half of my profit margin.

I hope this makes since, all opinions welcome. Please contact me through pm or email, YouTube or post here if you would like to join this list.

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

Pictures

Attachment:
Photo_26A605AE-084E-E84C-1E47-8584A9C2469D.jpg
Photo_26A605AE-084E-E84C-1E47-8584A9C2469D.jpg [ 318.02 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

Attachment:
WP_000768.jpg
WP_000768.jpg [ 314.09 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

Attachment:
WP_000770.jpg
WP_000770.jpg [ 430.46 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

Last edited by Steryne on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2x4x4 3d Printed Puzzles for sale
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:37 pm 

ERROR: 95+20/x = 95 only when x --> + inf

I believe we're only 7 billion people on earth

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:54 pm 

You are correct, however, I tend to round the price downward to the nearest whole dollar when events like that occur. So, if 21 or more people buy this puzzle, I will gladly charge $95 each.

Also, I forgot to mention, I am trying to offer an incentive (other than repeated excellent quality :P ) to my repeat buyers. I can trace about 80-90% of my puzzles to a total of three people, and I really appreciate their gesture of repeated purchases. For those who have bought a puzzle from me in the past, I will reduce the price of the puzzle by 2.5% per puzzle purchased in the past, up to half of my profit margin. So if you have purchased 4 puzzles from me in the past, then you can expect something along the lines of $10 to $15 dollars off.

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:33 pm 

Three pictures have been added. Sorry I wasn't able to include them initially. I wish I could retake these and make them look a little more professional (i.e. take pictures where my skin is not dyed with gray silicon and have all of the cubbies aligned), however, the puzzle has already been shipped.

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 pm 

Steryne wrote:
This roughly follows the linear function of Cost=$95+$20/Number of Buyers.

I believe that would be a curve function...

Steryne wrote:
Three pictures have been added. Sorry I wasn't able to include them initially. I wish I could retake these and make them look a little more professional (i.e. take pictures where my skin is not dyed with gray silicon and have all of the cubbies aligned), however, the puzzle has already been shipped.

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

The pictures of the puzzle are great. The only thing is to have your hands clean and these pictures would be perfect. I especially love the second one since the puzzle's beauty mutes the uncleanliness of your hand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
I especially love the second one since the puzzle's beauty mutes the uncleanliness of your hand.

He's just dug that cuboid out from the puzzle mines deep in the Earth. Of course his hands are dirty!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 am 

Rentlix wrote:
I believe that would be a curve function...

No errors can make it past this math forum. Thanks, and this has been changed.

Well, I have recieved one buyer. Who wants to put their name on the list and reduce this price point?

Post subject: Re: 2x4x4 3d Printed Puzzles for Sale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 am 

I am happy to state that I have received another buyer. This means that the price between the two buyers has been reduced by almost 10%. The new price to join the list is 103 USD plus shipping.

Post subject: Re: 2x4x4 3d Printed Puzzles for Sale, now 10% off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 pm 

These will be ordered Sunday night (TP time).