Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wiki?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:46 pm 

Since Sandy doesn't really have time to maintain / update the site's puzzle database. What if we started a Wiki for puzzles? That way we could all add puzzles and pictures. And of course we could have moderators that could keep it in check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:00 pm 

I think this is a great Idea! We could have community pages were ayone can edit :)
As long as we have some active moderators, this would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:45 pm 

Been thought of before.

I do believe it was originally hosted on Thom's site.

viewtopic.php?t=5095&highlight=cube+wiki

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:45 pm 

You mean something like what Ben said before or different?

viewtopic.php?t=5095&highlight=wiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:39 pm 

What does the puzzle database have to do with the forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm 

I think THowell meant that when Sandy updates the forum, he is also going to appoint some moderators that can update and edit the database.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:43 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
What does the puzzle database have to do with the forum?

It seems the tech currently implementing the puzzle database does not support allowing content moderators with limited access.

This means if Sandy wanted to appoint a content moderator he would have to give them access to the entire site, and he is rightly a bit cautious about doing that.

I believe he mentioned that he has some code on another site he develops to allow limited scope content moderators, but was not going to try to integrate that until he updated the site with the latest upgrades. This is about all the information I have on that, based on a mail he sent me some months ago.

So we have been waiting for him to make these updates, which has been waiting on a stable version to which to upgrade. Well, that and for him to have some time to do all this work.

Once he does I (and others if he appoints them) will be able to jump in and start getting puzzles into the database again.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
This means if Sandy wanted to appoint a content moderator he would have to give them access to the entire site, and he is rightly a bit cautious about doing that.

I believe he mentioned that he has some code on another site he develops to allow limited scope content moderators, but was not going to try to integrate that until he updated the site with the latest upgrades.

PhpBB can't be that far behind can it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:22 pm 

Look below, newest copyright is 2002, so that's six years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:26 pm 

The way I read Dave's response is that even with the new update, there is no way of having limited moderator control.

The idea of a moderator is that you only have control over a certain section of a forum and not the whole thing, like an admin has.

I thought with phpBB being one of the best forum softwares out there, this would be possible, but it seems from Dave's response it isn't. Heck, my friend coded a more advanced forum than this in under a week, bug free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:43 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Heck, my friend coded a more advanced forum than this in under a week, bug free.

I'm guessing there's bugs in it. Feel free to point us to the source and we'll find some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:48 pm 

Probably underlying, but the most we found were typos. For the time we used it, there was no down time, no errors popped up for anyone, and we had a lot of additions to the forum, including a match calender.

Maybe I was a bit too generous saying no bugs, but for what we used it for, there was none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm 

Pembo wrote:
The way I read Dave's response is that even with the new update, there is no way of having limited moderator control.

Sorry, my fault for using the term "moderator" in a confusing (i.e. non-forum) context. How about "site account with restricted access for the purpose of adding content".

To the extent of my knowledge the puzzle database has nothing to do with the forum code, and only recently was integrated to have parallel accounts (before that they were entirely separate systems).

Creating (or merging from another code base) the site code to allow creation of accounts with limited access to do this without access to change the entire site is what is apparently lacking for getting new puzzles in the database.

Forum updates are also a good idea, but seemingly unrelated.

Looking back at my limited (and old) correspondence with him I think the only connection between the two are that Sandy has little time to do either, and has probably consigned TwistyPuzzle site updates (both forum and database) to the back burner until it makes sense to do them both at once.

Again, sorry for any confusion. I can't really speak with any authority on how the site code is structured and am just making my best guess based on the limited information I have.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 am 

Pembo wrote:

The idea of a moderator is that you only have control over a certain section of a forum and not the whole thing, like an admin has.

I thought with phpBB being one of the best forum softwares out there, this would be possible, but it seems from Dave's response it isn't. Heck, my friend coded a more advanced forum than this in under a week, bug free.

Hi :-)

Well there's forums and there is forums. To make a forum as diverse and powerful as the best php boards out there you sure need more than a week. And that does NOT include debugging. A forum made for commenting newspaper articles (or similar) is nowhere near a real BB in complexity and functionality.

- Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm 

But what I am saying is that if you can't somehow have limited moderator control in phpBB, then it is seriously lacking.