Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RSS Feed
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:38 pm 

Sandy,
How about adding RSS Feeds to the site. It would make reading new posts easier for some of us. There's already a phpbb mod for it here.

Thanks

Edit: I must have been on crack when posting this to wrong forum. Sorry. Move if you wish, I just don't want to delete and repost for fear of annoying people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:32 pm 

Sorry, but I feel like I'm missing something here. This is two recent posts which have made complains about the forum being difficult to read. What is it that makes the forum hard to read? Would a non-graphical skin help?

Frankly, I've never even heard of this RSS format before. It would output an XML file, right? And you have some client to read that which you would prefer to use over a web browser?

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:29 pm 

localhost wrote:
Sandy,
How about adding RSS Feeds to the site. It would make reading new posts easier for some of us. There's already a phpbb mod for it here.

I think what s/he(localhost) is trying to say is that for localhost it would be easier to read if we had a colored background like in the link above. I think the white background is a little hard on localhost eyes.

Is this what your trying to say localhost? I hope I got it right. If I didn't get it right you want to please explain it again and easier to understand for Sandy's sake and the rest of use to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:02 pm 

A RSS reader would read the feed from the site and list the new topics for me in a reader, I use sage with firefox. If you keep up with a lot of forums, it makes it easier to see what sites have new posts and allows you to read a preview of the posts.

As far as reading the forum, it's fine like it is, I was just making a suggestion. Don't take it wrong, I love this site and it works fine. Just a suggestion that's all.

The link above was for sandy where the phpbb rss mod is located at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:18 pm 

Okay, localhost, I have no idea how this works so you get to test this one out:

rss.php

Let me know if I need to do anything else!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:16 pm 

I'm not sure what that feed thing is, but I clicked on the link, and the unread articles seemed to pop up, so I guess it works. Then I went into Thunderbird and added that link, and it seems to work. I'm not sure if it's better than just reading the forum regularly, but it's kind of neat at any rate.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:25 pm 

Hey, cool, just noticed this.

I actually stopped reading pretty much anything but RSS feeds on my Pocket PC, so this satisfies any of my requests for "stripped down" versions.

Still gotta fix that CSS issue, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:38 am 

Is the RSS page (rss.php) published anywhere on the site? I would suggest putting a link to it in the footer of the main forum page. That's generally where RSS feeds are referenced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:18 pm 

HI :)

Just want to say that the feed works fine. I'm not sure how this can be done, but a clickable link from a post in a feed directly into the corresponding thread in the forum would be very cool to see. Personally i do prefer to visit the forums themselves instead of subscribing to feeds. I don't visit that many forums regularly anyway 8-)

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:40 pm 

I just added a HubDog channel to the RSS feed for those that use Hubdog on their ppc/phones.

http://www.hubdog.com/c/61405