Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

How would you like to submit new images for the puzzles?
E-mail 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Through the forum 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Upload form 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Rubik's Triamid
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: NY, USA
I am sort of mad that the Triamid (along with the Master Triamid) is in the 4-sided twisty puzzles category, although I don't know what other category it should be in. It simply isn't a twisty puzzle. It feels weird to have it in with all the Pyraminxes.

Also, I submitted some data on the Triamid a while ago and it hasn't gotten through yet. Is it normal for it to take a few days or weeks? Did you even receive my data? If not, I'd be glad to post it again.

Also, I have to nitpick about how to submit images. I'd like to be able to submit them through an upload form or through the forum itself, if it's possible, rather than e-mailing it to Sandy.

I think you might want to start amending the "Cubic Puzzles" subdirectories with a "higher-order" category, i.e. any cube larger than a 5x5x5.

_________________
My official times
My youtube
Puzzle Solving Service! - a puzzle that has never been scrambled and solved has been wasted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
Why is it not a twisty puzzle? I think it is. Well, now I do. A while ago I would've agreed with you. But that's before I learned you're not allowed to simply take it apart completely and put it together solved. Now I disagree.

About MegaMinx PLL, have a look at Grant Tregay's method or use commutators :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2000 9:11 pm
Location: Dubuque, IA area
qqwref,

About submitting images, see this post:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2575


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: NY, USA
First: I don't think of the Triamid as a twisty puzzle because the very action of solving it requires taking it apart, not twisting it. It is, in fact, physically impossible to twist without breaking or partially dismantling.

Second: Well, only moderators can post on that topic, and Sandy hasn't put in a recent request for Triamid information. Thus I am left with the only option of submitting something and hoping the info didn't get lost somehow. How do I know it got sent? I don't. My point is that if there was a forum section for info submissions, a forum topic would make it would be blatantly obvious that the information in it was (or wasn't, as the case may be) successfully added to the database, at which point the topic could be deleted. People could also talk about what it is, see what the most recent added puzzles, and give comments and possibly more information. Also, this forum is dead, and being able to have discussions about info submissions might liven it up a little. I'd easily be at 100 posts by now if I didn't keep seeing only 5-10 topics posted on each day.

_________________
My official times
My youtube
Puzzle Solving Service! - a puzzle that has never been scrambled and solved has been wasted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rubik's Triamid
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:10 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
qqwref wrote:
Also, I submitted some data on the Triamid a while ago and it hasn't gotten through yet. Is it normal for it to take a few days or weeks? Did you even receive my data? If not, I'd be glad to post it again.


My bad. Added now. For future reference, if you see the "thanks for submitting" message, your information has gotten through. If you see an error message (unlikely, but my host has reported problems with the SQL server in the past), hit Back and submit it again, just to be safe.

When I went in and checked for your contribution I found 49 others waiting for my approval. Most of which require time-consuming image processing work, which I don't have the time for at the moment. I guess I was doing the head-in-the-sand trick.

I say sorry to everyone for delaying their contributions because I really do feel that way, even though I sincerely doubt anyone would endure the load much better over a two year period than I have. The problem is, I just can't think of a better solution to the delay problem other than the one I've already attempted.

qqwref wrote:
Also, I have to nitpick about how to submit images. I'd like to be able to submit them through an upload form or through the forum itself, if it's possible, rather than e-mailing it to Sandy.


When you're right you're right. Feel free to upload them to the Help Wanted forum. It's no longer Moderator only. Notice the new name, new description and new "About This Forum..." message.

qqwref wrote:
I think you might want to start amending the "Cubic Puzzles" subdirectories with a "higher-order" category, i.e. any cube larger than a 5x5x5.


When I get some 6x6x6+ pictures to show, I will probably do exactly that. Thanks for the idea!


qqwref wrote:
My point is that if there was a forum section for info submissions, a forum topic would make it would be blatantly obvious that the information in it was (or wasn't, as the case may be) successfully added to the database, at which point the topic could be deleted. People could also talk about what it is, see what the most recent added puzzles, and give comments and possibly more information.


Honestly, I never dreamed this was either desired or neccessary. The content management system I built to handle submissions to the puzzle database is quite involved and handles these tasks nicely. Anything entered into the forum would just have to be copied into that form and submitted. This is exactly the sort of time consuming task I was hoping to avoid by building an automated system.

As you have pointed out, the "flaw" in my system is that human intervention is required to add the user contrubtion to the live database. This is by no means a flaw. I worked long and hard to add that additional step so I could avoid the danger of some moron blanking out data or adding in obscenties, and so forth. This may sound paranoid on my part, but I assure you, a fair number of "contributors" have made an attempt to do just that.

15 minutes of internet experience shows that if you give the average internet kiddie a soap box to stand on, he just can't wait to get up on it and make a total fool of himself by shouting obscenities.

Anyway, the changes I made to the "Help Requests & User Contributions" forum will now offer everyone the opportunity to post information and images, and freely discuss contribution related topics.

qqwref wrote:
Also, this forum is dead, and being able to have discussions about info submissions might liven it up a little. I'd easily be at 100 posts by now if I didn't keep seeing only 5-10 topics posted on each day.


If everyone followed that logic, there wouldn't be any posts here! If you want more discussion, start more discussions!

Keep in mind, however, that messages in the various topics on this forum often require more thought than your average internet forum. Anyone can sit down for 45 seconds and spout off an opinion about the merits of Jennifer Lopez or the flaws in the Bush administration, but it takes considerably more thought to compose a post containing analysis and fact. Most messages on this forum contain not only analysis and fact, they contain thought provoking solutions to problems that the average person wouldn't enjoy even if he did bother to sort it all out. We're a rather specialized collection of egg heads.

I guess this comes down to that age old quality vs quantity thing.

Sandy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group