Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: adding new items to collection
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:09 pm 

Hi Sandy,

This one is for you. I was wondering if there is a way to make it easier to add a new item to someone's personal collection. For example, from the 37 new puzzles and/or pictures added, I have one. I had to go into my collection and add it from there. I wonder if you can add an option with in that item that just by clicking on it would add it to my collection. Since I are already logged in, the system would recognize me and would add the new item to my collection. Is that possible?

Thanks
Gabe
Happy and Healthy New Year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:38 pm 

That's great idea, but I think that depends on having a single login for both the forum and the member collection area. My understanding is that right now they are two different systems with different logins, possibly with a different username and/or password.

--
Aleksey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:38 pm 

That's a great idea, Gabe.

It was pretty easy to add too (not tied to the forum at all, Aleksey!). I just had to move the Collection Manager cookie handling code to a higher level so the puzzle CGI could access it, then add in the actual HTML link.

The Collection Manager cookies currently survive for 6 hours from the time of login. As long as they are still present in your browser, you should see a new link in the LINKS section of each puzzle page. If you're not logged in, you won't see anything. (I know, I know, wouldn't it be nice to have a "click here to login" link! Well, yes, it would, but not until PHPBB releases the code that allows me to login externally... which is what Aleksey was referring to above.)

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:14 pm 

Hi Sandy,

I looked at the new item added, the Heinz enigma, to see if I would see the new feature in the links section. All I see is the eBay link. And I made sure I was logged in. I have the auto log in feature on so when I open the forum it recognizes me. I then when back the home page and tried again, same thing. Am I missing something or this feature is not there?

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:14 pm 

riddler17 wrote:
I looked at the new item added, the Heinz enigma, to see if I would see the new feature in the links section. All I see is the eBay link. And I made sure I was logged in. I have the auto log in feature on so when I open the forum it recognizes me. I then when back the home page and tried again, same thing. Am I missing something or this feature is not there?

Maybe this explains why no one was commenting on this new feature! I thought it was pretty slick, but if it's not working, that would explain the lack of response in the past 3 weeks.

Anyway, I just tested it again, and it's working fine here. Is this working for anyone else besides me?

Try the following link:

#1) LOGIN: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/cm-list.cgi
Scroll down past the list of collections. If the LOGIN section says you are currently logged in, then your cookies are in place. If not, then you have to login using that form there.

#2) TEST IT: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=1131
Right under the eBay link, there should be a new link called "Add This Item To Your Online Collection". If there isn't:

- Exit all browser windows, open a new browser window, return to #1. You should still be logged in. If not, there's a cookie problem somewhere. Check your cookie settings. Does your browser accept cookies? Does it delete them when you exit?

- If you are still logged in and #2 still doesn't work, then save the HTML document of the puzzle page, and post it here or e-mail it to me. Include your OS and browser info, as well as anything else that you think might help me troubleshoot.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:17 pm 

Works good for me in Mozilla and Firefox browsers on Linux and Windows.

--
Aleksey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:41 pm 

Thanks Sandy,

Its working now. I manually logged in even though I'm auto log in. But that made the difference.

Gabe