Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unique items counter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:19 am 

Hi Sandy,
I am not sure I like this unique items counter in members collections.
I don't know how it works, but it has deducted 1 item from me when I added a "Super cubix", though Square-1 and Cube 21s are alright. I know that they are virtually the same puzzle, but so are the 3x3x3 variations. If the system judges by the unique mechanism, then we should all have only so many unique puzzles each, otherwise it should only deduct the count when you specify the number of that particular puzzle (or variation) in posession. Generally I think uniqness is very difficult to judge.
Could you please clarify how does it makes the judgement and why variations are not included?
Vadim

Post subject: Re: Unique items counter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:22 am 

I'm not sure exactly how the behaviour you noticed appeared as you've explained, but this is how the two numbers are calculated:

Item Count is the sum of all quantity fields in your collection. If you haven't bothered to use quantity fields, the sum is simply the number of items that appear on your collection page since the quantity field defaults to 1 for each item.

Unique Items is a count of the number of thumbnails that appear on your collection page (regardless of what you entered in the quantity field), MINUS one for any duplicate found. An item is only identified as a duplicate if you used the same puzzle database item as it's "source" when you added the puzzle.

In your case, the 6 and 12 colour Megaminxes are the culprit. The software noticed that they are both pointing to the same entry in the database, and subtracted one. You can fix this problem by removing the 12 colour, and adding a different Megaminx to your collection (perhaps either the Tomy 12 colour version, or the Mefferts 12 colour tiled version). Sorry, but I don't have pictures of Mefferts 12 colour stickered version. I don't own one personally, so if someone else wants to contribute pictures, I'll be able to add it in for you.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:51 am 

That's great, Sandy,
Thanks for explaining. Now it makes sence, though in my case the substraction occured befoere I entered the second Megaminx. It was when you added the Super cubix to the database and I added it to my collection. However it did not substract another one when I actually added + modified the Megaminx. Hmm.
I will play with it and see what happens.
Thanks for you quick response though.
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:07 pm 

I'm not sure the counter is working correctly.

I was looking at my collection and counted the thumbnails and it was 44 and the counter said 41. Also the only multiple quantity I have is 3 regular cubes, so it should say 47. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:10 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
I was looking at my collection and counted the thumbnails and it was 44 and the counter said 41.

There are currently 44 thumbnails. The quantity field of all items is 1 except for the Rubik's Cube which is 3. The "Collection Total", then, would be 46... which was shown correctly. Since the numbers have changed since you posted your original message, I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not.

Anyway, the number of "Unique Items" was definitely wrong. The script was assuming that your four "No picture, click here to add one" items were identical, which they weren't (as it so happens). I have just modified the script to exclude these "non-TwistyPuzzles.com" items from the duplicates being subtracted from the total. The script is now assuming all "non-TwistyPuzzles.com" items are unique, even though some of them out there are bound to be identical, and someone will eventually be asking me why it doesn't work right!

Check it out now. All should be good.

BTW, I also took the liberty of fixing the error in your IMG HTML code that was messing up the layout of the page. Hope you don't mind.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:36 pm 

Sandy,

Thank you so much, you rock!!!!!!