Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Marker for unread posts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:34 pm 

Hi, Sandy,

Sometimes I only have a small window of time to read new posts on this site. If it has been a while since my last log on, I sometimes don't get all of the new posts read before having to log out. Then, when I log on the next time, all of the previous new posts from my last login are no longer marked as new posts regardless of if I had read them or not. This makes it difficult to determine which posts I had or had not read. On the old TwistyMegasite, it remembered which posts that I hadn't read and highlighted those post subjects in a different color. Would it be possible to keep the new post marker on unread messages despite logging out or to identify unread posts in some other manner? Maybe this feature already exists. Maybe it just isn't working on my computer. If so, how do I use it or turn it on? If not, would it be possible to incorporate some kind of read/unread marker which is not cleared out when logging off?

Thanks,
Doug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:38 pm 

Doug M. wrote:
If not, would it be possible to incorporate some kind of read/unread marker which is not cleared out when logging off?

Hi Doug,

It took a few hours (and some users may have noticed about 15 minutes of "downtime" while I scrambled to find a bug I published), but it's working now. New message flags will only be removed when you open a topic. Logging out either manually or automatically (a session timeout occurs after 1 hour if you don't click the "Log out" link) will not change the status of the flags as it more-or-less did before.

Note that since the software can't determine which messages you've read after opening the topic, it assumes you have read them all. Essentially, there is no change in how this works now compared to how it used to work during a single session. The "new message" flag is cleared when you open the topic, and is reset the moment someone adds a new message to it.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:33 pm 

Thanks, Sandy!

It works great now!

Doug.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]