Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: front page navigation?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:57 pm 

Is it me or does the main intro page not have any navigation? Are you redoing the navigation bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:37 am 

I'm not sure what you mean.

At the top of EVERY page on the site you should see a menu right under the TwistyPuzzles.com logo that looks like this:

This menu is what I call the navigation for the site. Does that menu not load on a particular page, but does on others? Check these six pages for two examples of each of the three types of page:

Static SHTML Pages:
http://twistypuzzles.com/index.shtml
http://twistypuzzles.com/contribute.shtml

Database Generated CGI Pages:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/search ... &key=2x2x2

Forum PHP Pages:
index.php
memberlist.php

Also note that some pages (primarily the forum pages and search result pages) have menus of their own. These menus don't appear on every page since they are specific to the section of the site you are currently browsing:

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:41 am 

WEIRD! I can't get that blue navigation bar under the logo to show up on any of those links?!?!? I'm using IE 6.0 on XP. I attached a pick and the source to the front page.

Attachments:
nav.JPG
nav.JPG [ 63.64 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
www.twistypuzzles[1].txt [22.19 KiB]
Downloaded 139 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:56 am 

Oh crap. That's a problem all right. When the menu doesn't load, you should see this text:

ERROR, the menu could not load because either CSS or Javascript is not present or not enabled. [url=/menurequirements.shtml]Enable[/url] them or use this [url=/sitemap.shtml]site map[/url]

This clearly isn't showing up (and the assumption printed in the error message may be incorrect, as it turns out). First off, try following those "Enable" instructions, even though this doesn't seem to be the case. Please take careful note of anything you change. This is useful not only for returning your browser to the settings it had before in case it doesn't work, but it's also useful to telling me what you changed just in case it works so I can investigate further why the error message wasn't appearing correctly.

After you make any changes, you will have to Refresh the page you are on to get the menu to appear correctly. Actually, completely closing and restarting the browser might be a good idea.

If that doesn't work I hope you don't mind if I move this to an e-mail conversation so we can troubleshoot without flooding the forum. Meanwhile, you might want to bookmark the Site Map page and use that to get around until we can get this problem solved. Not the easiest thing, I know, but it's better than nothing.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:19 pm 

PM sent...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:07 am 

I've upgraded the menu software in an attempt to solve this problem. In doing so, I accidentally overwrote a config file that I wasn't supposed to. No problem, I just restored the backup. But as I soon found out, the backup was apparently at least a few weeks old and is missing some stuff. I have a real backup at home, but I won't be there until later this evening. Until then, I've patched up the affected file to work as is. As a result of this patch, you may notice that some of the messages that appear in the status bar when you hover your mouse over some menu options are missing. I'm not going to bother rewriting them just for 6 or 7 hours of uptime.

Furthermore, there seems to be a new issue with this version of the menu on my browser. When I hover over "Puzzle Database", then try to move down to "Browse", the submenu sometimes disappears either completely, or just for a brief moment. I assume most everyone else is suffering from the same problem. I am working on a solution.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:47 am 

I see it now, but none of the links are working properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:36 am 

Please try again. I made more changes to the menu this morning. Also, the "flicker" I mentioned in a previous post should now be gone.

Do the menus produce dynamic drop down submenus when you mouseover one as shown here:

If they don't, then we still have a problem. If they do, then please describe exactly what happens when you click one of the options in the drop down (Search, for example).

Did you not get the e-mail I sent yesterday? There were other troubleshooting options listed in there.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:38 am 

Oh hell, I forgot all about this!

Did you try upgrading your browser as you mentioned? Any better luck to speak of?

If the menu on the http://Milonic.com site isn't working, the problem is most almost certainly with your setup. The menu is very robust, and is used professionally worldwide and is well supported. A reinstall (or upgrade) is about the only thing I can suggest if the problem persists. Please let me know how it's going.

Very sorry for forgetting you.

Sandy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]