Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chat Feature
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:59 pm 

So far after one day, I have not been in the chat room with anyone else.

Here are some suggestions. When you are in any of the forum pages. There needs to be a way to see who is in the chat room or be able to invite someone to the chat room. Or just be able to click on any of the registered users currently in the forum and talk to them. However, if there are more than 2 people on the twisty site it would be nice to have a larger live chat session.

Comments and suggestions would be helpful from everyone. I have no idea what it takes to set this up or if Sandy can do it. But I don't think what we have currently is going to be that exciting or usefull. Just my thoughts after 1 day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:44 pm 

I completely agree with you. Perhaps there is some way to link the PHP script that checks who is currently online with a java chat room. Maybe, even, the chat room could appear on the main page. I don't know if this helps:

http://www.activetopic.com/

But it's a start.

See? It's not so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:18 am 

My stance on this whole thing is if people aren't going to use it, I sure as hell don't want to spend a few weeks getting one set up.

Do we really want to go this direction? Are people actually willing to chat?

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:15 pm 

Hard to say. I idled in the chat channel for most of the night. A couple of people stumbled by but I never spoke with them because if I don't hit the reload I don't know they're there until they're gone.

However I don't think a chat feature is particularly critical. I always got the impression that most people are here to share a few ideas and move on, not to "hang about" like I do when I'm on night shift on a dead night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:31 pm 

I think if somebody wanted to chat so badly, they could use msn messenger or something similar. thats just my 2ยข

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:47 pm 

I personally am not going to use the chat here if there is any. Any web-based chat is too boring and slow compared to readily available AIM or ICQ networks. It would be nice to chat indeed but it's very inconvenient here... Is there any group AIM/ICQ-like chat? I would not go ages back to start an IRC channel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:06 am 

I'm starting to agree with the anti-chat group. We don't need a program on this site for that. If people want to chat, that's what IM is for. Everyone can just download that program and post their screen name on here. There's a section for that in the profile.

http://www.aim.com

See? It's not so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:19 pm 

Interesting discussion. I think it might be fun to do chats, but after all the trouble I have had with viruses and spyware, I am VERY reluctant to download instant messaging software. Maybe I'll try out the Twisty chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:33 am 

Is it time to kill the chat? Perhaps bring it back when it can be nicely connected to the forum as mentioned in this thread?

Does anyone use it? Has anyone actually managed to have a chat with it?

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:31 pm 

I usually check it if someone is logged in when I am but I've never been there at the same time as somebody else. One time I missed someone by like a minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:50 am 

every time i log in i check and knowone is ever there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:41 pm 

I don't think anyone has had a successful chat yet, but I do have one question for you Sandy. When I go into the chat room, I can click a button that says "who's online". A list pops up that shows who is currently on the twisty site. Is there any way you can invite someone to go to the chat room by clicking on their name? Is this possible, or is it too much work for this feature. I think that is one of the big problems, because usually there is only a few people on this site at a time and trying to get 2 or more of them into the chat area at the same time is next to impossible. I was surprised to see that 2 other people besides myself had already been in there today. One of them was a brand new registered user. I have always looked forward to having a chat with some of you, but I have yet to see this chat room in action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:16 am 

Dodd wrote:
I don't think anyone has had a successful chat yet, but I do have one question for you Sandy. When I go into the chat room, I can click a button that says "who's online". A list pops up that shows who is currently on the twisty site. Is there any way you can invite someone to go to the chat room by clicking on their name? Is this possible, or is it too much work for this feature.

The list of who's online in the chat only refers to who is either currently in the chat feature or was in within 5 minutes and didn't click the Logoff button on their way out. Sounds like you just missed a few people.

I agree that the current chat feature is rather useless. It really should be tied into the forum login system, but isn't. There are a few prebuilt chats out there that can do this, so I'll have to take a look at implementing one of them.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:34 pm 

well ass you can see by my begging in this post i have always wanted a chat feature >

viewtopic.php?p=13276&highlight=#13276

and im sure that a fair amount of people are with me but people have just stoped useing it all together , not even checking it if there wer something like a "invite to chat option" where you could invite anyone who is online to chat with you mabey that could help save the chat room.

Could something along this line be possiable :?: :?: :?:

Post subject: mm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:21 pm 

i can agree on both sides..

1) if chat wasnt such a hassle(easily accessible) and if people would actually be on it, i wouldnt mind going on and entering, but i would like to be able to post at the same time, which would mean seperate windows, which leads me to number two..

2)We probably shouldnt put the admins through the hard work when we can jus easily get a chatting system (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, etc) and have chat through there, as for group chats you could post a comment and set up a time with whoever wants to attend and just go from there, rather simple..

a-thank-ya
Clayne H.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69