Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: email addresses
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm 

I was just wondering who email addresses are visable to. I guess I kind of like how the other board was set up in that it would add TWISTYBLOCK to everyones email address to throw off the bots. I guess what I am trying to ask is does one have to be logged in, in order to see everyones email address? To me that would be optimal because only registered users should be able to email other registered users in my opinion. I guess I don't really want my email visable unless it's to a registered user.

thanks, and great job on the forum!

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:29 am 

On your personal Profile page there is an option called "Always Show My E-Mail Address" which has the following effects:

- If you CHECK this box, your address will appear on your profile page and at the bottom of every message you have posted on the forum. This can be seen by anyone and anything that reads the page. Bots will be able to farm your e-mail address from the forum if you check this box.

- If you CLEAR this box, your address will still be shown in all the same locations, but only to those people whom have registered and activated an account with the forum. For this reason, I suggest everyone clears that box to help protect your privacy. While it is still possible for someone to register and activate just to farm e-mail addresses, it is at least a little less likely.

EDIT! I've removed the following text because it's WRONG! Any changes to vital information like your user name and e-mail address will result in your account being temporarily disabled while a confirmation e-mail is sent to your stated e-mail address. Obviously if your e-mail address is incorrect, you will not receive the e-mail, and thus, your account will remain inactive. Please e-mail me personally if you would like to add a SPAMBLOCK keyword to your account.

Quote:
If this level of privacy is still making you uneasy, I suggest you modify your e-mail address to include a SPAMBLOCK keyword (or whatever) once your account is safely registered and activated. There is nothing stopping you from doing this as the forum software will not send you another e-mail to confirm the change.

If you do take this final bit of advice, the forum software will not realize you've tricked it. As a result, should you ever forget your password, it's not going to know where to e-mail it to you. When this happens (and it will happen!), simply ask me to reset it for you.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:13 pm 

That is perfect. I will keep the box clear and if someone goes through the trouble of registering to farm out my email address, I guess then they have earned it. =)

-d

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]