Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Auto-locking old threads?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 pm 

This is something that has bugged me for a long time, so I thought it is worth another suggestion / discussion...

I personally think it would make a lot of sense to have an "auto-lock" feature for old threads. Even using a long time frame like two or three months would be great. That way the bumping rule and annoyance would be a thing of the past. If you find an old thread that needs new commenting, a new thread with a link to the old would be the way to go.

I searched and only found one other discussions about it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11543&hilit=locking+old+threads

so I'm curious what your opinions are? I've seen a lot of other forums do this and it seems to work nicely. Of course I visit a lot of other forums where bumping an old thread is not frowned upon too. Personally I don't see the problem with it, but I like to follow the rules and all.. :)

Post subject: Re: Auto-locking old threads?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 am 

well, in my own opinion, I think people should stop worrying so much about old thread bumping as long as they have something to contribute.

But, honestly, I don't think even 3 months is long enough, if we make an auto-lock feature, they shouldn't auto-lock till 6 months-1 year after the LAST post, and original author's of the threads should still be able to post with updates and such.

Otherwise, it's not a bad idea if everyone really feels it's neccesary.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 am 

I dont think enough posts are bumped to make this necessary and after you bump a thread once you learn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:13 am 

elijah wrote:
well, in my own opinion, I think people should stop worrying so much about old thread bumping as long as they have something to contribute.

But, honestly, I don't think even 3 months is long enough, if we make an auto-lock feature, they shouldn't auto-lock till 6 months-1 year after the LAST post, and original author's of the threads should still be able to post with updates and such.

Otherwise, it's not a bad idea if everyone really feels it's neccesary.

Yeah - really I agree with you on this. Leaving a thread open just invites someone to post a reply to it, which is the better of the two options I think. But I still think if it is a rule to not to bump an old thread - why not just auto-lock them? Maybe even a 6 month window from the last reply, or something like that? I would think it could be totally automated from the back-end...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:59 am 

yup, sounds good, I think I'll wait for sandy's opinion on this, if he has an opinion(which I'm sure he does).

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:39 am 

I don't think that old topics should be locked
but I think that a warning when you are about to bump an old topic should be good. like a pop up or something telling you that you are about to bump an old topic.

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:59 am 

I'm with olz on this one, a warning is a great idea.

Locking seems a bit extreme. Sometimes people have fresh information to add to old threads. Besides, if you make the time window really short we will suddenly have a lot of longer threads split into several small ones. (What a mess!) And if you make the window really long it will have almost no effect. A warning can have a shorter time window without fragmenting the threads.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:36 am 

yep, warnings sound good, usually people bump threads without realizing it anyway, it's not because they do it on purpose.