Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Should we try to maintain a list of legitimate sources in the Puzzle Database?
YES 87%  87%  [ 13 ]
NO 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Poll: database of legitimate sources
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:28 am 

I thought it might be a good idea to maintain a list of legitimate sources where people can buy non-KO puzzles in our puzzle database.

Since we can't post sources of KOs (whether you agree with this policy or not), people can't learn what is legit and what is KO. However, by maintaining a "positive" database of legitimate sources for each puzzle, it should be easier for people (guests and members alike) to know which sources are "safe" to buy non-KO puzzles from. And this might even help to reduce the number of threads asking about each individual case.

For example, for a particular puzzle:

Verified legitimate sources: inventor; website(s); eBay account(s); store(s); etc.

These sources could even be entered as links, with a footnote about the importance of avoiding KOs, to encourage visitors to buy from a legitimate source.

Hopefully this would not require too much work, as most puzzles in the database are not produced commercially, while those that are tend to sell through only a few channels.

Last edited by KelvinS on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Poll: database of legitimate sources
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:50 am 

It would be a very small list. I can only think of v-cubes, rubiks, and meffert's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:58 am 

squabpuzzles wrote:
It would be a very small list. I can only think of v-cubes, rubiks, and meffert's.

Not quite, you can also buy their puzzles from many shops and online stores. The list wouldn't needto be exhaustive, but should give enough options for people to find the best price for a legitimate copy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 am 

does this includes sites like bedardpuzzles.com and all other custom puzzle sites?

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:08 am 

olz wrote:
does this includes sites like bedardpuzzles.com and all other custom puzzle sites?

Sure, it could do, but ...
Kelvin Stott wrote:
The list wouldn't need to be exhaustive; [it] should just give enough options for people to find the best price for a legitimate copy.

We could do this in two ways:

1. Either we could list just a few selected legitimate sources for each puzzle that is commercially available (C4U would be included as a legitimate source for some puzzles, but not for the void cube, super floppy, etc.);

2. Or, we could compile a more general list of verified legitimate sources which do not sell ANY KOs (C4U would be excluded).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:07 pm 

It's even worse that some sites such as "" provide both KOs and genuine products, but when they are selling a Mefferts Megaminx for 30-something dollars, and right beside it a K.O. selling less than ten dollars, with "turns good" or some other garbage tacked onto the description, unless the shopper has most or all of the following traits:

(A) extremely high moral standards
(B) isn't frugal-minded or has a relatively large budget
(C) is highly educated concerning the impacts of piracy
(D) accepts the notion that quality comes at a high premium
(E) actually takes the time to do extensive research before making a purchase
(F) Is a regular at twistypuzzles, speedsolving, etc, etc...

he/she will most likely go with the cheapest option.

How many of you have ever gone to Walmart just to save a couple of bucks, rather than stop by Bubba's Hardware, and yet are still saddened when they see a "For Lease" sign on Mom & Pop's Grocery just two blocks down the road? I've seen it happen time and time again, and yet I continue to head strait to Walmart rather than meander all over town to shop for goods. I don't even really like Walmart, in fact I loathe the store, yet I still shop there all the time :|

I can only assume that the vast majority of casual puzzlers do the same thing whilst shopping online, and perhaps some of them even go out of their way to save some cash. It's a sad truth, that when it comes to capitalism, it's a dog-eat-dog world. :evil:

Last edited by stardust4ever on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:10 pm 

I see nothing wrong with people doing some research themselves and looking around, instead of trying to hand them everything on a silk cushion only to find out it is often neglected anyway, as for instance, the forum rules which no newcomer tends to read, and the search function which is often overlooked.
I applaud you're idea, but wonder about how much it will get used...